PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Panthers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

ZYDECO CHRIS
Great post.
Lil Abner post, ICYMI

wife and I respectfully disagree on the whole "jinxing" thing.

From this thread:
Yeah as a kid I always felt bad for Joe. Seemed like a well-meaning bloke,just cursed.
Its the Jete's stink, it never leaves you,
Now that he's no longer with the hateful J-E-T-E I'm almost sorry for Darnit.

When folks think they are cursed
Its Really in they heads.

Good part of the Fun, really.
Call it 'Losing culture'
People act/react to the belief./fear/noise

'Losing Culture" remarkably, repeatedly plays out over time
Whatever distracts from the moment, the situation
causes chaos

More noise > more difficult
Like, actual; noise, for eg:
as pumped in by bum orgs for their bum teams across this great land:

and to
The unfortunate CAM/RAP story,
An unfortunate part being the completely missed point

Teams play VERYDAMMLOUDDAWEFULLSHT
to help players learn to FOCUS/play when

ITSTOODLOUDTOHEAR

Cams response?

Cams response
was to be distracted-
Then, To Become Distraction Itself

urging others be distracted too.
A hilarious punchline, really.

Wynn has a couple major mistakes per game. The sack-fumble was bad, that he let the free rusher get outside, but also that he couldn't recover the fumble which was right in his face. How does he let that get taken from him??

Also, on JC's 2nd TD in the EZ, Judon was going hammer Darnold, but was being literally armbarred across the neck for 3 straight seconds. How do the Ref's miss that????

People harping on Mac for being off. But the last drive of the 1st half was huge. He made some important throws to make that happen, and the TD to Henry was vintage Brady.

You are probably right about the depth of Meyers' route, but either way it did backfire on them.

To me it looked like Gilmore knew the play and jumped the route. The route is going to look wrong if someone successfully guesses and jumps it. Look how soon Gilmore moves forward, he knew what was coming. Even a perfect route can't fool someone who knows the play.

To me it looked like Gilmore knew the play and jumped the route. The route is going to look wrong if someone successfully guesses and jumps it. Look how soon Gilmore moves forward, he knew what was coming. Even a perfect route can't fool someone who knows the play.

Yeah, but Meyers might have been in a position to break up the pass if he wasn't picked.

And it still doesn't change the problem that the Pats' receivers are having issues running rub routes.

One thing I have been noticing all season is that the receivers do not run clean rub routes. You could see it on the Gilmore interception. Both Meyers and Smith ran crossing routes that were designed to pick the defender. Looks like Meyers didn't run a clean route and ended up getting picked himself allowing Gilmore to be in far better position to get to the ball. Based on where Jones threw the ball to, it looks like Meyers should have ran a shallower route than he did.

This was a big problem in the first few weeks, but they have cleaned it up a bit in recent weeks. But this play shows that they still have work to do on it.

You are right it was NOT a great route. However the Pick is ALL on Jones. It was like he never looked at the receiver, because if he had, he never would have thrown the ball. That was an embarrassing pick for Mac.

You are right it was NOT a great route. However the Pick is ALL on Jones. It was like he never looked at the receiver, because if he had, he never would have thrown the ball. That was an embarrassing pick for Mac.

I am not deflecting blame off of Jones on the play. I am just using this play to show how the receivers are not running good pick routes. It just stood out on that play for me.

But Gilmore still would have had the step on Meyers and Jones seemed to not look where he was throwing and just throwing to where Meyers should be. In some situations where you have to get a pass out before the receiver is in position to make the play, that is acceptable. But it isn't the case on this play. I know it was a timing route, but Jones should have seen that Meyers was not in position and Gilmore was in position to intercept the ball and either threw away the ball or checked down to another receiver.

Wynn has a couple major mistakes per game. The sack-fumble was bad, that he let the free rusher get outside, but also that he couldn't recover the fumble which was right in his face. How does he let that get taken from him??

Also, on JC's 2nd TD in the EZ, Judon was going hammer Darnold, but was being literally armbarred across the neck for 3 straight seconds. How do the Ref's miss that????

People harping on Mac for being off. But the last drive of the 1st half was huge. He made some important throws to make that happen, and the TD to Henry was vintage Brady.

Clearly you aren't actually watching what is going on.

The play starts at the 37 second mark of that video.
From top to Bottom for the defense..
CB opposite Bourne - drops into coverage
Burns opposite Henry
LB off the Line - is clearly assigned to the coverage of Henry
DT between Wynn and Karras
LB off the line, but creeping up
DT opposite Andrews
LB on the Line opposite Onwenu
LB/S on the line to cover Bolden
Gilmoe opposite the Meyers - drops into coverage
DB opposite Agholor - drops into coverage
Deep Safety.

Snap: The DT swats Wynn's attempt to engage to the left. Karras engages the DT. Andrews engages the other DT. The two LBs that were on the Line to Andrews right neither rush nor drop back immediately, but both figure in on the fumble recovery. One is clearly watching the RB. The ILB who was creeping is now rushing the gap between Karras and Andrews. Henry is engaged with Burns with Burns on his OUTSIDE shoulder. (important)

Andrews passes off the DT to Mason and picks up the LB. Because Burns is on Henry's outside shoulder, he is on the far side from Wynn, making it impossible for Wynn to slide over to get Burns without opening up a hole for the DT engaged with Karras to be able to get through. In fact, Burns/Henry drop out of Wynn's LOS before Wynn turns to his left to see that HENRY has turned Burns loose. Burns is 2 yards away from Wynn at this point through no fault of his Wynn's.

If anything, Mac drop is too deep since he is 9 yards behind the LOS and Henry screwed up the blocking by not keeping Burns to his INSIDE shoulder so that it would be easier for Wynn to pick him up. Jones is also late on his reads because he had Bolden open.

Burns hits Jones, the ball comes loose, the ball is 4-5 yards away from Wynn to is right. The two Panther LBers are actually in better position and more agile so they get to the ball before Wynn. You pretending like it was at Wynn's feet and he only had to bend over is ridiculous.

I am not deflecting blame off of Jones on the play. I am just using this play to show how the receivers are not running good pick routes. It just stood out on that play for me.
Yep, this has been my posting issue today - timing offense just isn't there yet for either the QB or the WRs (except maybe Bourne - he and Mac seem to be pretty synched).

It showed several times yesterday. Plus I think the tape is building up for the other teams as another factor forcing these timing throws to be more a part of the offense showing that inconsistency and low familiarity between the passer and catcher which only gets consistent through high repetition.

I wonder what Bru's INT vs MIA in 03 air time was?

Close to the same distance away from Feidler as Jamie was from Ghostboy

Thank you. A wonderful memory and an amazing play, but JC's was probably even closer, and not an "outlet pass" but a full-on downfield throw. So two amazing plays to enjoy!

Thank you. A wonderful memory and an amazing play, but JC's was probably even closer, and not an "outlet pass" but a full-on downfield throw. So two amazing plays to enjoy!
OK...

03- Fielder was on the 0 yrd line and Bru was on the 5
21- Ghostboy was on the on the 39 and Jamie was on the 44

Darold's had more zip but Bru was in a freaking snowstorm, cold, sloppy

Push

:p

OK...

03- Fielder was on the 0 yrd line and Bru was on the 5
21- Ghostboy was on the on the 39 and Jamie was on the 44

Darold's had more zip but Bru was in a freaking snowstorm, cold, sloppy

Push

:p

But Fiedler was throwing to the outside whereas Darnit was throwing pretty much directly upfield. Agreed about the conditions (and Tedy took his into the endzone). Two great plays to cherish ...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back