PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jets

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Good first win of the season. Mac didn't do anything spectacular, but he is a rookie and he's learning. At least he doesn't do the kind of things Zach Wilson did yesterday. Pats offense will get better as the season goes on and Mac develops.

Some common thoughts in the thread re O/Line issues at tackle and the run defence.
Mac and Harris look good for years to come.
White had a good game and helped out Mac , however some of the plays outside were telegraphed and the Jets got some hits on White which I was worried about.
Also mentioned yesterday during the game that White had the most yards of our receivers , is this just conservative play calling ?

Dont understand why they did not try and throw into the end zone at the 2 min warning in the 4Q......think the game was safe but this was a disapointing set of plays.

I am sure the coaches will work on the run defence and OLine so still progress to come.

This type of well thought out balanced and measured thinking will make you no friends here :).

I also recognize that it often makes for boring forum discussions if everything boils down to, "Who knows, let's see?" so I get it. But I personally felt encouraged by more things on Sunday than I felt discouraged by things.

My favorite thread on the Saints forum...

My only real worry is the OL in pass protection and the right side in particular. They are having too many plays that are giving rushers free runs at the QB with no tangible resistance.

If this holds true over the season, it is a personnel upgrade none of us saw coming.
Now remember - the narrative must endure - regardless of actual video evidence to the contrary.

Bentley, Williams, Duggar, Agholor, etc, etc - they all suck worse than every other player drafted after them or signed by another team, will NEVER improve, and must be shamed at every opportunity.

With Bentley I think it's important to remember what kind of LB (at his best) he is supposed to be. He's not a coverage linebacker, he's a thumper and a north-south kind of guy. Citing tackles that he misses when he's chasing down a RB in the open field is a bit disingenuous. His limits are what they are, and you hope to have four linebackers on the field who can rush, play the run, AND cover, but that's just not a reality. The key will be for the coaching/scheme to minimize the times when he is asked to make plays in those positions, but the opposing OC's get paid too, and part of their job is to draw up plays that isolate weaker coverage players. It's how we got the pretty wheel route play to White in week 1 against Miami. Flores knows he doesn't want a linebacker covering White out of the backfield, but sometimes it happens. That doesn't mean the linebacker "sucks", any more than you'd say a safety "sucks" if he couldn't set the edge against a 330 pound OT.

What does it take for you to consider MAC's play to be "great". Personally, I think that he as been great. For a Rookie.

In 2 games:
51 completions on 69 attemps - 73.9% comp %. 467 yards. 7passes of 20+ yards. 4 sacks. 2 fumbles-0 Lost. 1 TD. 1 Int. Grounding penalty.

The one area of concern to this point is what has led to at least 2 of the sacks, both fumbles, and the penalty. It is that Mac is trying to do too much. I'd rather see him throwing it away more often than taking the hits or throwing it into the ground the way he did today.

If you look at Brady's first two starts in 2001. He didn't even complete 60% of his passes. He took 5 sacks. had 2 fumbles. Yes he had zero TD and zero Ints as well.

Now, what's interesting is that there are currently 13 QBs including Mac who are currently passing at 70% or better. But Mac is 6th currently in comp %. As a rookie. I think that's astounding, all things considered. What is really interesting is that Jameis Winston is a 59.5% comp, Josh Allen is at 56% comp, and Aaron Rodgers is at 53.6% comp. The other 4 rookies QBs are all below 55.7% comp or worse.

So, I don't know what he has to do to be considered "playing great" for you, but that's what he's doing in my book.

Mac has 0 interceptions.

I agree with the post.

Mac is doing a great job. Mistake free football is the first goal. Save for a couple of rookie mistakes he's doing it and has shown he can handle the pressure which is, imo, remarkable.

If I'm going to compare him to all QBs I'd say he's performing at around the league average. That's unbelievable. So yes, you're right, he's doing great. The Pats can win with this kid. He's going to improve.

Add in that the Pats have a lot of new players still trying to put it all together on the field, which will happen, and I'm looking at a fun season.

Hard to take anything from the game given how AWFUL Wilson was. Glad we got the win and cleaned things up from week one but still concerned about our run defense and our skill guys not making much of an impact. One TD in 2 games.

With Bentley I think it's important to remember what kind of LB (at his best) he is supposed to be. He's not a coverage linebacker, he's a thumper and a north-south kind of guy. Citing tackles that he misses when he's chasing down a RB in the open field is a bit disingenuous. His limits are what they are, and you hope to have four linebackers on the field who can rush, play the run, AND cover, but that's just not a reality. The key will be for the coaching/scheme to minimize the times when he is asked to make plays in those positions, but the opposing OC's get paid too, and part of their job is to draw up plays that isolate weaker coverage players. It's how we got the pretty wheel route play to White in week 1 against Miami. Flores knows he doesn't want a linebacker covering White out of the backfield, but sometimes it happens. That doesn't mean the linebacker "sucks", any more than you'd say a safety "sucks" if he couldn't set the edge against a 330 pound OT.

So more Ted Johnson, less Eric Kendricks

Our offense is not the same without Trent Brown. With Thuney gone, we need Brown to dominate as a run blocker and be solid in protection. Having a sub-par OT on either side just bogs down your whole offense. So let's see what Mac look like upon his return, or if Cajuste returns and can step up.

Uche with 2 sacks 1 hit & 3 hurries. He’s currently first in the NFL in pass rush productivity (total pressure by pass rushing snaps). Judon is currently third.

They have to dedicate more resources to stopping the run & trust the secondary who’s played well to hold up. Uche can’t be a part time player.

Also, Mills has given up 3 receptions for 20 yards in two games. Had good coverage on Davis yesterday.

Except the analogy isn't right. Bentley is supposed to be a LB who can stop RBs right in front of him or RBs who catch a ball and bring them down. I don't think the replays cut it to show them all but if you look at game replays particularly positive plays for the Jets, take a look at #8 and how many times a Jets first down happened as a ball carrier blew by Bentley.

Pats gave up 155 rushing yards and 5 yards a carry to the Jets....

What's the difference between the New England Patriots and the New York Jets?
A: The last Patriots Super Bowl team picture isn't in black and white.
Neither are the other 5! :haha: :thumbsup:

Felt like we started seeing him in the 4th quarter. I think he's actually respectable as a corner, at least to the degree that he's a better "emergency" option than having to use someone like Edelman. I like that they got him some snaps there in garbage time (and nothing really changed).

It reminds me though of the moment I knew for sure we had this game won. JC Jackson goes out with the helmet problem, so he has to sit out a play or two. So what does the Jets OC call? An off tackle run. Our BEST CB (by a country mile) is out of the game for probably only one play, and you don't even let your QB try to test his replacement or take advantage of potential secondary upheaval. Nope, hand it off and let JC come back in.

The Jets were aggressive when they didn't need to be, and conservative when they shouldn't have been.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back