PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Falcons

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

No Ridley, Patterson didn’t help ATL. But that OL is lights out bad and the rest of the team isn’t much better. Pretty bad opponent.

Yeah, after putting on a clinic on Sunday, McDaniels laid an egg last night.

How did he “ lay an egg?” The difference between the Cleveland game and the Falcons game offensively was 3rd down conversions, and that’s mostly about execution. And 3rd down conversions are going to be the most important factor for them offensively as long as they are a power run team. Converting them is what allows the offense too wear the opposing defense down and control time of possession and field position. Responsibility for converting them goes to the entire offense, and the coaching staff. Unless it’s just a boneheaded play call the responsibility is primarily on the players. Some games are going to be better than others in this regard, and that’s something we are going to have to live with. They aren’t going to be the Chef’s any time soon, they are going to grind out games and count in making plays when they matter the most. So far that’s working, and it has given them the best possible chance at going somewhere this postseason.

The funny thing is I don't think a decent portion of the Buffalo fans and media think the Pats are a real threat. I was listening one of those overnight shows on WEEI or 98.5 the other night and they had a Buffalo beat guys on and they asked him about how people in Buffalo feel about the Pats knocking on the Bills' door for competition for the division and his response was people in Buffalo don't focus on teams behind them in the standings and only focus on their real competition who are ahead of them in the standings. He basically went on to say that the Bills have the division locked and they are just focusing on getting things fixed to do damage in the playoffs. I know this is one guy, but from my limited anecdotal this arrogance is common with Bills fans.
I think they’re in for a big surprise. We comin’ now.

Hmm I woudn't agree completely on this take.
At first the CB cut the pass damn good, Mac didn't seem to notice it so it was a well defensive play by the CB. He was already 10 yards off from covering Harry and than just cut inside and jumbed the Smith route (because most opponents don't expect Harrys number to be called, since he is really underused currently). Harry was open by at least 15 yards if not more when Mac has thrown deep to Smith. Smith was turned backwards to catch the ball so his movement direction was away from the LoS (backwards runnnig) while the CB crossed the LoS if you watch the direction of play, so the CB has had a better angle for the ball as he also got the right timing for it. Maybe Mac could have trown it higher where only Jonnu could have gotten it? I don't know...

However overall Jonnu seems not to find the right spot for himself in this offense, he doesn't look like a real TE more like a toy to handle the ball over on slants or reverse behind the LoS, quite dissapointed so far in what he has shown.

But again I would like to see more Harrys number called during the games, he is a better fit for such jump balls and he gets a better seperation than in previous years. And the opponents should be forced to account for him in the passing game in order to avoid such defensive plays where his cover guy jumps the route because noone is expecting the ball to go to Harry.
I think Mac never considered that a defender, thr only one on that side will leave Harry alone like he did. A half a sec delay will have led to a long TD for Harry.

a split with Buffalo by itself will not win the division thanks to the Miami game. We need the bills to lose at least one other game.
win-major-league.gif

...sorry for the language... a little... :)

I haven’t looked up their game log yet from 2000 so I don’t know for sure but I think BB just went over .500 without Brady for the first time as Patriots head coach.

So far, we pounded the Jets twice, Houston, Atlanta, Carolina, and Cleveland. Not exactly a murderer's row of opponents. Next week vs Tennessee and the two Jills games will tell us a lot. The close losses vs Dallas and TB give me hope.

Bring on the Titans!!

I think Belichick has had this game on his mind since the playoff loss. Vrabel had the Titans better prepared and more motivated that night, and I’m sure Belichick is going to want to pay him back for that loss. I expect them to take Brown out of the game and give them a big dose of their own medicine, a power run game that wears them down and keeps TOP on their side. Really looking forward to this game.

Some thoughts. Disclaimer: I don't put a lot of weight in anything coming out of this game because Thursday night games are so screwy and the play is usually subpar by even the best teams.
  • I am going to totally counter the last sentence right off the back (go ahead and flame away), but the Pats' defense last night continues to show they are a legit top defense in this league. I say this because this is a continuation from this year. Throw out the Cowboys game and this defense has been doing what they have been doing all year. They are just getting better and better. No more making excuses about the past games like Tom Brady was just caught up in the moment and off or Brady had trouble throwing in the rain. This team has been playing great defense most of the year.
  • JC Jackson should be prepared for the franchise tag. The Pats have no choice now. The only way he isn't with the Pats in 2022 is if another team trades for him which would require a first rounder at least. But I doubt Belichick trades him unless it is a high first.
  • Flashback to five weeks ago. People were talking about how Kyle Van Noy and Donte Hightower were washed up and the Pats should have not signed Van Noy and should have cut Hightower before the season. I was one of them who thought they were washed up. How did that work out?
  • Speaking of Van Noy. How p*ssed must Dolphins fans have been last night? The Dolphins paid a buttload for him and he washed out after one season only to come back to the Pats and have an All Pro game like last night.
  • When will Jonnu Smith get it? On that interception, he had no fight for the ball and just allowed the defender to push him out of position. Jones shouldn't have thrown that ball and it is on him for the INT, but he did throw it to a place where Smith had the best chance to get it and there was no fight for the ball. He let the defender just rip it right out of his grasp.
  • Give Dean Pees credit. All night he did a good job taking away Jones' first option on passing plays. In the first half, Jones had no problem going through his progressions and finding the open man. In the second half, Pees dialed up the pressure and made it far harder for the Pats' offense to function.
  • Thank God the Pats are not in the NFC. Fox's broadcasts sucks so hard. Their analysts are a bunch of buffoons. That friggin sky cam is horrible. I was getting motion sick with their presnap panning of the offense from behind. And the angle they show the kick offs shows nothing. Aikman used to be a good analyst. Now he can barely stay interested in the games.

Passer rating against leaders (among #1 CBs):

JC Jackson 50% comp 1 TD 6 INTs 40.1 rating
2020 Xavien Howard 52.2% comp 4 TDs 10 INTs 53.0 rating
2019 Tre'Davious White 56% comp 0 TDs 6 INTs 46.3 rating
2018 Xavien Howard 50.9% comp 4 TDs 7 INTs 62.6 rating
2017 William Jackson III 34.9% comp 0 TDs 1 INTs 36.1 rating
2016 Xavier Rhodes 48.0% comp 2 TDs 5 INTs 47.0 rating

When you factor in Ramsey doesn't travel with WRs or TEs (Deebo & Kittle eating the Rams defense for lunch) JC has a claim for the best CB in the league IMO.

So far, we pounded the Jets twice, Houston, Atlanta, Carolina, and Cleveland. Not exactly a murderer's row of opponents. Next week vs Tennessee and the two Jills games will tell us a lot. The close losses vs Dallas and TB give me hope.
Good sign that they're not just beating these teams they're demolishing them - which is what legit teams with an eye on January football should be doing. Other than the Texans game...that one just feels like the one stinker you can count on the Pats having per season.

Really wish Harris didn't fumble against Miami. 8-3 would be a terrific spot to be right now.

On the Mac Jones interception, did anyone else think that Jonnu Smith misplayed it and made it easier for Terrell to make the interception. It seemed to me that Smith didn't attack the ball which allowed Terrell to make the play on the ball for the interception.

In case people missed it. It was MAC JONES who put a shoulder in on Terrell to help bring him down..
Terrell was covering Harry and broke off (that would have been a TD had Jones seen it). I doubt Smith even saw him coming until it was too late to adjust to the slightly underthrown ball.

That pick was 100% on Mac.

Patriots are 2nd in the NFL in fewest total points allowed.

Patriots have also played 1 or 2 more games than every other team in the league. The #3 team is New Orleans, who has allowed 1 extra point but have played only 9 games.

Bills are #1.

N'Keal 2 for 2 for 15 yards, nice 9 yard grab...baby steps I guess
He had an easy TD if Jones had thrown the pick ball to him instead of Smith.

And he has a nice end-around, too, except for a very ticky-tack holding call. He's earning some playing time.

And before anyone goes nuts: yes, he is a bust as a 1st round pick.

Last edited:
On the Mac Jones interception, did anyone else think that Jonnu Smith misplayed it and made it easier for Terrell to make the interception. It seemed to me that Smith didn't attack the ball which allowed Terrell to make the play on the ball for the interception.
Exactly my thoughts when it happened.

The funny thing is I don't think a decent portion of the Buffalo fans and media think the Pats are a real threat. I was listening one of those overnight shows on WEEI or 98.5 the other night and they had a Buffalo beat guys on and they asked him about how people in Buffalo feel about the Pats knocking on the Bills' door for competition for the division and his response was people in Buffalo don't focus on teams behind them in the standings and only focus on their real competition who are ahead of them in the standings. He basically went on to say that the Bills have the division locked and they are just focusing on getting things fixed to do damage in the playoffs. I know this is one guy, but from my limited anecdotal evidence this arrogance is common with Bills fans.
Well the only team ahead of them in the standings is Tennessee who they have already played and lost to. So I don’t think only focusing on a team they’ve already lost to and won’t see again is a good plan for the remaining 8 games of the regular season.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back