PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat Arizona

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Again there's a 50 names I'd throw out there to replace Patricia but until we fix the OL this offense isn't going anywhere.
MP as the OL coach needs to be replaced as part of the rebuild. The attitude issues that seem to be part of the problem are the same as those that plagued Detroit.

The big problem here is the inconsistencies of the line.

You‘re mostly right. But the blocking scheme is very much affected by the play and vice versa.

The OL makes fundamental mistakes, errors that never happened under Dante, or even Carmen Bricillo last year. Just watch the film. Poor use of hands, lack of leverage, too much engagement on pass blocking, uneven spacing, unclear assignments (when there are assignments), blown double teams, discontinuity between blocking scheme and the play. I could go on and on. Some of these complaints are minor and don’t happen that often, but they add up. I’m sure Yates and MP see this and more, but I’m not sure why it isn’t always being corrected. The talent is there - sometimes everything else isn’t.

You obviously didn't read his portfolio where he goes into detail about such things.

You really think I'm "misrepresenting" or making this up? I screenshoted you a part from his portfolio.
"These don’t look like things Waldman would say if he thought Jones had problems processing information post snap."

Ok well this is literally what he said on Jones regarding processing ...
View attachment 48299
View attachment 48300

It was something Jones displayed but hasn't improved to this year. We've guys improve or grow stagnant. So I'm not closing the book on this but we haven't seen an improved this year.

When it came to decision making Waldman said he thought about giving guys like Jones, Lawrence and Lance "higher marks" bc their "low points" resulted in a "committee caliber" grade for Jones, Trask, Mills, Buechele. Which is average. He had no one in starter or star caliber.

He had Jones in the "star caliber" for sensing pressure but so far has been more wrong than right. That's where me and him disagreed the most. I recognized that early on. Jones has real trouble with sudden, immediate pressure. Around him and second level.

I understand Matt had a high grade on Mac but most of us go into real detail. Just bc you get a high grade doesn't mean there aren't flaws, low points and weaknesses.

I definitely wasn't misrepresenting anything Waldman said for a few reasons. I'm literally providing his own words and made it a point to say I was talking about specific things relating to Mac. Processing, decision making etc in my post a few pages back. I made that quite clear. I'm nothing but transparent and honest!

‘I am stating that you are overstating his concerns about this issue. You are making it into it being a major concern Waldman where as it seem pretty clear that he was stating areas where Jones needs improvement. Even the best QB prospects have areas they need to improve. He has repeatedly given him credit for his post snap processing. I gave examples.

There is no way in hell he would say Jones was the best prospect in the draft and had a ceiling of Peyton Manning if he thought he had significant issues with his post snap processing of information. Manning is elite at processing information post snap. I would like to see the entire article you pull snippets from. My guess he does feel he has a good processor, but there are some areas where they are deficiencies which are listed in the snippet you posted.

Last edited:
"...The play Mac Jones was intercepted (1Q/2:15) reflects one of my biggest questions about the Patriots' offense, and I wonder if it hits at the heart of why there's been such inconsistency in the transition from the Josh McDaniels-coordinated offense of the prior decade to the 2022 version. For all the focus on the play-calling, the greater issue might be how the Patriots are setting their protections/blocking schemes and executing them. On the play, in which the Cardinals rushed five, the Patriots had their five OL block three DL. That left a 1-on-1 pickup for Kevin Harris on safety Budda Baker - a reasonable ask for any RB in that situation - and TE Hunter Henry 1-on-1 on the edge against 6-foot-4, 267-pound OLB Cameron Thomas. The latter part is puzzling to me. It's possible there was a mental error by one of the OL, because otherwise, my question is "In what world would the team want to put Henry in that situation?" Thomas pushed Henry back and barreled into Jones to help create the INT..."

Mike must read PatsFans...
I don't see that as unusual. Seems like most teams have a TE blocking a LB at times.

I don't see that as unusual. Seems like most teams have a TE blocking a LB at times.

Whether that is true or not, this particular play was clearly a missed assignment by either McDermott or Owenu. In this play, there are five offensive linemen blocking three rushers while both Harris and Henry are taking on defenders one on one. And there was only one rusher on the right side of the line that the o-linemen are blocking. Ownenu and McDermott are double teaming the DE where one of them should have peeled off and picked up the OLB with Henry.

Whether that is true or not, this particular play was clearly a missed assignment by either McDermott or Owenu. In this play, there are five offensive linemen blocking three rushers while both Harris and Henry are taking on defenders one on one. And there was only one rusher on the right side of the line that the o-linemen are blocking. Ownenu and McDermott are double teaming the DE where one of them should have peeled off and picked up the OLB with Henry.
Not disagreeing with that, just not unusual for a TE to take on a LB. Watching Henry execute a Wham block is not good. Long for the old Daniel Graham pancakes.

Not disagreeing with that, just not unusual for a TE to take on a LB. Watching Henry execute a Wham block is not good. Long for the old Daniel Graham pancakes.

Sure, but in most instances. TEs don't usually take on d-linemen and linebackers one on one. Typically they get assistance. but the better blocking TE can do it when asked. Henry is not considered a great blocking TE.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back