PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
WRONG. Pay attention to what's actually going on instead of spewing BS.

The Pats only needed 8 plays to get 3 of their TDs. They had 7 in the 1st quarter that got them two. And then just 1 in the 4th quarter to take the lead after the Pick 6. So, you don't need a lot of 1st downs when that happens.

The Pats had 2 drives killed by poor execution. The play that resulted in the strip sack and the play that resulted in the Pick 6. Neither were "bad play-calling". Both were bad execution by the offense. Someone without an axe to grind would acknowledge this. |

The BOLDEN RUN on 3rd down was a bad play call. But that was the only REALLY bad one.

Yep.. Cowboys stacked the box so much that Harris and Stevens had a combined 23 carries for 124 yards. 5.39 YPC. Great job showing you don't know what your talking about Condon.

Try sticking to actual facts instead of ranting on with your feelings.
Strip sack was a horrific play call. No one is getting fooled by play action in that situation. Given the issues with the oline makes it even worse.

Bentley with the most tackles by far last time I checked.
That just means backs are getting to the second level way too easily. The DTs are not getting the job done.

He isn't a third down back through. They can definitely use him in the passing game, but he will never be a White, Lewis, Woodhead, or Faulk type of back in this offense. They need someone like that.

Medicals will have to check out but Burkhead could be that guy. Buried on the Texans depth chart. Knows the offense so it shouldn’t take long to pick it up. And it stops us from putting bolden out there.

The 25 to go still bothers me. There were less than 40s to go and they got into FG range on that one play.

Mac should be seen as the building block. And there are other players you can keep while improving. But I can’t help but feel every loss has a play or two that were real killers.

I know people have written off the season, but I still think the Pats have a chance to make the playoffs. It is a long shot, but I could see 9-8 making that third wild card spot. Right now there are only five teams ahead of them in the wild card race and only one of them are ahead of them by more than one game.

The Pats are not that far away from losing close games like this to winning them. And the Bills are the only team left on their schedule that are as good or better than the Cowboys and Bucs. The Browns and Panthers aren't nearly are scary as they looked a few weeks ago. They have both come down to earth a bit.

If Agholor makes that catch on the slant in OT, I think he takes it to the house.

Also, at the end of games, when it's 4th and 3 at midfield, we can't punt.

It can't be lack of player execution at all.. :whistle:

Agholor, Meyers, Bourne with key drops during the game. Yep.. That's coaching..

Someone completely missing Gregory that led to the strip sack of Jones.

The DBs unable to stop Lamb when it mattered most.

Wise not setting the edge that led to Elliot's 21 yard run..

Van Noy deciding to leave his man in coverage in a pathetic attempt to get to Prescott only for Prescott to complete the ball to the man that Van Noy left open. Yep.. I'm SURE the coaches told Van Noy to play like that.
Who is coaching all of these players? Who signed them or drafted them? Agholor has a history of drops. Big money. Who is coaching the offensive protections? Who decided that going man to man late in the game when it was clear the defense was gassed was a good idea? Wasn’t the players. At least you’re not blaming the refs again like you usually do after a loss, though. Team is 9-13 since the start of 2020. Clearly the coaching has been outstanding.

“Players win games. Coaches lose games.”
-Bill Belichick

Medicals will have to check out but Burkhead could be that guy. Buried on the Texans depth chart. Knows the offense so it shouldn’t take long to pick it up. And it stops us from putting bolden out there.
Burkhead makes almost nothing too.

1 year contract.

Who is coaching all of these players? Who signed them or drafted them? Agholor has a history of drops. Big money. Who is coaching the offensive protections? Who decided that going man to man late in the game when it was clear the defense was gassed was a good idea? Wasn’t the players.

“Players win games. Coaches lose games.”
-Bill Belichick
I know the D was gassed. But dropping into zone - imo - wouldn’t have slowed Dak. He would have shredded.

If was frustrating to watch. No question.

I know people have written off the season, but I still think the Pats have a chance to make the playoffs. It is a long shot, but I could see 9-8 making that third wild card spot. Right now there are only five teams ahead of them in the wild card race and only one of them are ahead of them by more than one game.

The Pats are not that far away from losing close games like this to winning them. And the Bills are the only team left on their schedule that are as good or better than the Cowboys and Bucs. The Browns and Panthers aren't nearly are scary as they looked a few weeks ago. They have both come down to earth a bit.
We almost lost to the Texans...We are a 2-4 team that have lost 4 straight home games. I wouldn't be to confident about the playoffs right now

What does that have to do with anything? YOU HAVE THE BALL!

Another example of Belichick getting off the hook for an indefensible explanation.

He’s making the same mistakes against “great offenses” that teams always made against the Brady Patriots. In the end, all this crap about ball control, “minimizing errors” is nonsense if it leads you to give up key advantages on offense. At the end of the game the Cowboys will have more points on the scoreboard than most teams, which is more reason you need as many points as you can get. Did he really think this would be a grinding 17-16 win?

The $25M monster tight end duo had 3 catches for 34 yards and a TD.
I'd like to see what they could do with a real offensive line, not this bunch of misfits. Wynn and Trent Brown need to go along with a couple of others.

It can't be lack of player execution at all.. :whistle:

Agholor, Meyers, Bourne with key drops during the game. Yep.. That's coaching..

Someone completely missing Gregory that led to the strip sack of Jones.

The DBs unable to stop Lamb when it mattered most.

Wise not setting the edge that led to Elliot's 21 yard run..

Van Noy deciding to leave his man in coverage in a pathetic attempt to get to Prescott only for Prescott to complete the ball to the man that Van Noy left open. Yep.. I'm SURE the coaches told Van Noy to play like that.
And you don’t think there could be a disconnect between what’s being coached and what the players are actually doing on the field? This would be on both the players and coaches. With this I’m referring mostly to the defense; the OL right now is mainly a talent issue. We’re playing multiple backups and there’s a reason they’re backups. Cajuste getting whipped by Gregory shouldn’t be a surprise.

I know the D was gassed. But dropping into zone - imo - wouldn’t have slowed Dak. He would have shredded.

If was frustrating to watch. No question.
He struggled with Cover-1 at the snap and the defense bailing into Cover-3 post-snap. Those all went for minimal gains if they didn’t fall incomplete.

Reading some of the comments you'd think we lost by 3 scores. We lost in overtime to one of the best teams in the league. That was a high-level football game between two good teams -- of course the other team will be productive at times, that's part of why they're good.

My reaction is not one of: "man, this team is complete hot garbage, with a bad coach, bad players, and no future".

Instead my reaction is: "man, that was a close game. I'm frustrated this team can't make the critical plays late in games to come up with wins, and I'm really frustrated that they keep turning the ball over".

To be specific about what I didn't like from the coaches:
  • The decision to punt in overtime.
  • Bolden getting usage while Harris/Rham sat.
  • The delay-of-game / pick-6 sequence, where McDaniels motioned the HB out, and then went 5-wide, declaring with 100% certainty on both plays that they were throwing the ball, completely eliminating any threat of run/PA. Late in the game, up by a point, needing to use clock and trying to get a first-down (or two) to seal the game, the threat of the run/PA is the most important strategic leverage you have as an offensive play-caller. That play-calling sequence was inexcusable and a massive failure by McDaniels.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back