PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

One item I haven't seen touched on much is Wynn. Herron actually looked fine out there last night. Is he excellent? No, but he wasn't a problem. I'm curious if the team explores trading Wynn. Even if they don't get much draft capital in return, trading him would give them almost $11M in cap space.
I need to think through this more but my crystal ball tells me the 2022 NEP will have a ton of dead money on the books.

I'm talking $30-$40m.

There are players on this roster that never should have been paid to be on this team but the goal to acquire/keep talent so I get it

Defense wore down. Guy, High, DMC, Jamie and even KVN seemed a step late everytime.

I really think this is a major issue. The Pats used to control December onwards but for the past few years, its been mostly crap.

I think on top of other contributing factors, a lot of the players are getting physically tired by the end of the season and can't keep up with younger faster players.

The worst part of being hurt is when all the problem you dismissed come pouring down at the same. No painting flags of any other color, other than red.

However. Realistically.

You dont go from a legendary-setting foundation, from a legendary-QB for 2 decades, and just start winning in 2 years.

Ive said before. 3 years is the minimal amount expected for a turnaround. Year 1, bad. Improved on drafting, might have nailed on the Franchise QB. Year 2, good. Progress was made and new pieces were discovered. Now comes the real bad part, because it truly envolves looking at what is NOT progressing. Which means cutting people that have been part of the legend.

To Year 3. I want to believe we have SB aspirations. And now I too want revange on these pesky, always-was, always-will be lil bros, a loser of 4 and winner of none, the Bills

All the offense needs is an elite receiver like a diggs and everyone will fall into their role.

I'm not sure what the defense needs because that was embarrassing.

I really think this is a major issue. The Pats used to control December onwards but for the past few years, its been mostly crap.

I think on top of other contributing factors, a lot of the players are getting physically tired by the end of the season and can't keep up with younger faster players.
You would have thought the bye would have been a nice breather for the older guys but they were already at 1/8th of a tank left

I need to think through this more but my crystal ball tells me the 2022 NEP will have a ton of dead money on the books.

I'm talking $30-$40m.

There are players on this roster that never should have been paid to be on this team but the goal to acquire/keep talent so I get it
Jonnu is prob a lock to make the team next year due to his contract but he’s quickly entering territory as the worst FA signing in pats history.

It was an elite play Hyde.

Maybe he could have thrown it a little farther but whatever.
It was a great play by Hyde but it was slightly under thrown and on the wrong shoulder. The throw went inside. If the throw was where it should have been on the outside shoulder there is absolutely no way Hyde can make a play on it.

It was an elite play Hyde.

Maybe he could have thrown it a little farther but whatever.
Not a bad bomb by Mac but a killer int. Would have been a 7-7 game, wonder if its a different game after that…

Jonnu is prob a lock to make the team next year due to his contract but he’s quickly entering territory as the worst FA signing in pats history.
Trending that way . Horrible signing thus far. Maybe he needs another year to learn the nuances of the TE position here (Henry played in it for the Chargers). I think the team is stuck with him in 2022 then they can dump him before 2023

You're really into dead money, aren't you?

They gain nothing by dumping Agholor. $5 million savings...$10 million dead money. So, basically, Agholor next year at $5 million is value - forget the other $10, because it's gone either way.
Dead money is a complete misnomer. It’s all spent anyway, it’s a sunk cost.

The question is - is that extra $5m better spent by having Agholor on the roster or using it on someone else? If the answer is Agholor, you keep him. If the answer is someone else, you cut him. You don’t decide to keep someone because you might have a $10m dead cap charge if you don’t. That’s how you perpetuate bad decisions.

Not a bad bomb by Mac but a killer int. Would have been a 7-7 game, wonder if its a different game after that…
I tend to doubt it since we haven't forced a BUF punt since Biden took office

We have athletic and young linebackers in Winovich and Uche, trouble is BB doesn't trust youth and is terrified of them in the run game so he sticks heavy guys out there who get destroyed in coverage

We have obvious needs on D, but Jameson Williams would look good in a Pats uniform...

We have athletic and young linebackers in Winovich and Uche, trouble is BB doesn't trust youth and is terrified of them in the run game so he sticks heavy guys out there who get destroyed in coverage
Wino and Uche are pass rushers. You don't want either one of them stopping the run or in coverage.

We don't have the athleticism on defense to keep up with Buffalo or the talent to overtake better teams that also are playing well. Plain and simple.

However the mental errors that pop up like a covid spike are concerning. That's a coaching thing.

Teams figured out our zone D.

Pass rush died.

Mac hit the wall.

Injuries.

Defense wore down. Guy, High, DMC, Jamie and even KVN seemed a step late everytime.

Need speed. Need greasy fast speed at linebacker and man cover personnel in the secondary.

Coaching? I dunno. Special Teams is a concern but BB Jr and Josh played the cards they were delt.

This is BBs team. Let the rebuild continue. It won't be all sunshine and rainbows

The only thing I'd question is this oft-repeated notion of Mac hitting the proverbial wall. There's no objective way to actually quantify that; I would suggest his late-season rough patch could just as well be attributed to (A) tougher competition vs. teams in the playoff hunt, (B) opposing DCs getting a firmer handle on his tendencies and (C) the ongoing learning curve of a rookie QB navigating his first full NFL campaign.

Wino and Uche are pass rushers. You don't want either one of them stopping the run or in coverage.

Frankly I think the way we couldn't stop the Bills anyways, might as well have had both of them in there to put a good licking on Josh Allen a few times.

Josh Allen is playing with reckless abandon because he hasn't taken those hits yet. I don't know. Maybe his frame helps him avoids those.

The bigger issue is…

Winovich had six sacks his rookie year and now barely plays. Lots of rumors about friction with the coaching staff.

Uche was supposedly coming on strong at the beginning of year but also ended up barely seeing the field and didn’t do a whole lot when he got on it.

Hopefully these guys can develop (I have more faith in the latter than the former) but it there is cause for concern.

Edit, deleted, Im creating a new thread cause I want to hear opinions on this, and not get this discussion dragged on a heavy thread.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back