PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

The second half of your lost is what i agree with

thanks for the link

so we can make some slight improvements. But the cap hit for current guys like Jonnu is pretty big though
When you see the cap hits for Agholor and Smith and compare this to their production and targets they are the worst signings. When your top paid players are invisible like this it’s going to be tough to get the talent you need. Our OC needs to think how he can get them more involved
They combine for 800 yards and 4 TD with listed at 27 Million combined cap hit

Last edited:
That was like watching a car crash in slow motion over a 3 hour period. I know that we have improved from last year but watching the defense disintegrate over the last month cancels that out and i am actually more concerned now than i was then.

Reasons to be optimistic. I don't think the offense is far away. Mac will hopefully improve and even in this game his ability to feel pressure and move in the pocket was much better than earlier in the year. Mondre, Bourne, Harris, Henry and Mac are good pieces. The line isn't a million miles away although i don't know their contract situation. We are clearly crying out for speed and explosiveness which is what Agholor was for but it hasn't worked out for whatever reason. I don't know if he just isn't good enough or we aren't using him correctly but if he isn't the answer someone needs to be. Will White return?

The defense..... hmmm, hmmmmm. i mean what can you say that is even slightly hopeful. Barmore, Dugger Phillips and JC (if he returns) are all decent. Hopefully Mcgrone and Perkins can give the LBs some speed and aggression that it is desperately missing. Anderson might be better than i expect him to be?? Uche and jennings might step up? Jones is back which is a big help. I think Mills improved massively and looked good by the end. The DL and LBS is lacking in pretty much every quality you want. No penetration or speed. Just passive and slow and shows a complete inability to disrupt anything even against the dolphins. I don't know what the contract situation is like for the DL and LBs but i wouldn't be too unhappy if none of HT KVN and Collins returned.

Last edited:
Josh Allen played at a ridiculous level. We can sit around all offseason and dissect the game and overreact about the defense, but Allen dominated out there and was making filthy throws, often into tight coverage.

Unless you have a an outlier, historic defense, usually a great QB will be able to have his way with you.
That was the argument about last game... He had ban outlier game in foxboro. They need speed on this team

I’m not going to get way into it right now because the loss sucks, but to all the people talking about building around Mac, a bright future, the core of the team, etc…the team went all-in this year with the offseason with a record spending spree and backloaded most of the deals. Henry, J. Smith, Judon, etc. will cost much more next year…even with the cap, the Patriots are structured to maintain the team with cap maneuvering and not to fill a lot of holes. That’s the thing with a free agent frenzy like this…the problems often don’t become apparent until down the road when all the money is tied up. This is absolutely not a team in year one of a three year plan where you’d expect them to automatically improve. They have their work cut out for them, big time.

You obviously dont know how the cap works..

Just got back from the game, left a bit early as someone (ahem) had had it with both the cold and the game.

The defense really needs a talent overhaul. I've long been saying that Hightower is probably in his last season, but seeing McCourty move pre-snap live, which I don't usually catch on the TV, it is sad. McCourty is one of the greatest Patriots in history. Maybe a first team safety in the history of the franchise. But there's a reason McKenzie seems to only have big pays against the Patriots. You can see McCourty diagnosing what McKenzie is about to do, McCourty predicts it, but he takes forever to accelerate and his top speed isn't good enough.

Phillips, Dugger, Barmore. Maybe Perkins.

A miracle if we get some from Uche I guess.

Don't know what's going to happen with JC Jackson.

But the rest of the D needs a huge infusion of talent. CB, S, DE, all the LBs.
Agree. I said.many times I DMac has been one of my favorite players but his time in Pats uniform should be over . He is slow and indecisive this season.Do not be sentimental , it's all about the team.

The lack of talent on defense was highlighted by the Bills. Not much to say, but the patriots need a lot of defensive help.

The lack of talent on defense was highlighted by the Bills. Not much to say, but the patriots need a lot of defensive help.
The inability to make a single play on Defense. I think it was maybe one tipped ball. Other than that they might as well have not even turned up. 0 stops. 9 yards a play> i think the weather affected the bills more than our D.

The season is over and it ' s time to think some things over. Some games against teams with their won issues let us believe our defense was great and some said we were even contenders. Our defense is far away from being good and now I realize how important was Gilmore to our secondary.
First of all it was another season with the same problem - I mean defense against running game. Barmore is a gem but we need another big body next to him to establish this part of the game.
Our LB corp should be bolstered immediately. There is no optimism looking how slow thy are, how many problems with tackling they have. We need drastic changes in this area!
Out secondary fooled me for a.moment as well. Juan Williams, Jalen Mills, Myles Bryant and with all due respect DMac should not be treated as starters - sorry. Seriously I do not know what to do with JC Jackson. IMO he is not the same caliber of a player as.Gilmore or Revis. However he is good enough to keep him ( the question is always money ).
Speaking of offense there is Mac and it is absolutely good message, I like the kid, his attitude and considering he had no stars at WR position he had very good season ( Very often our OL did not help him as well ).
Next season BB please give the kid a real WR ( of course not Harry's s type ). OL also must be addressed via draft or FA because especially Wynn should not be trusted anymore.
This season was really weird to me. Personally I did not even expect we were a.playoff team. During the season I was spoiled and hmmm....I do not know what to write about my expectations. I starter to believe we would do something amazing :), but I was wrong.
All in all there are some bright spots: Mac, our running game, Barmore, something started to clicking with out TEs ( sorry, I mean Hunter Haney ), Kendrick Bourne.

After this game, I now think JC won’t be back. They could franchise him or sign him long term but it would take up too much of their cap space and they need a lot of guys.

Very possible but thats not the only reason. Bill wants to play with one shutdown guy to limit the field. JC proved he could be close to that guy and fits well.

Cap space is always a factor but not key imo. They can free up c. 30M easily with simple restructures. They will be cutting, trading players creating more.

It is true they have quite a lot of guaranteed money tied to 2022 so they might be careful with something like FT (which they dont use often anyway).

My scepticism comes from JC's attitude over this last stretch as well. He started to make some business decisions on the field while team was clearly still alive. And he changed his talk as well beating his own drum. Nothing wrong with that - this is life changing moment economically in front of him & well deserved - but might affect the FT thoughts.

They can absolutely afford to sign a “shutdown“ corner but maybe longer term option with better cap economy..

Last edited:
N'Kheal Harry- 0 targets 0 catches, 0 yds, 0 impact.

We all know that Wilkerson is the better player right now- why wasn't he in there instead of Harry?
You could ask Bill but all you'd get would be that weird sounding snort and a few mumbles.

The funny/sad thing about Harry's stat line is that he actually got his hand on a pass. Unfortunately, it was a pass to Myers that Harry broke up.

I always used to think that Bill wasn't the type to play someone just because he's a top pick. I'm not so sure now.

N'Kheal Harry- 0 targets 0 catches, 0 yds, 0 impact.

We all know that Wilkerson is the better player right now- why wasn't he in there instead of Harry?
Harry was on the field? Oh yeah. He broke up one of Mac’s passes.

You could ask Bill but all you'd get would be that weird sounding snort and a few mumbles.

The funny/sad thing about Harry's stat line is that he actually got his hand on a pass. Unfortunately, it was a pass to Myers that Harry broke up.

I always used to think that Bill wasn't the type to play someone just because he's a top pick. I'm not so sure now.
Was it Harry or Jonnu that broke up that pass to Meyers?

To me it looked like the defense totally gave up, and expected that the Bills were going to move to a clock killing 3 yards and a pile of dust plan, and Buffalo decided to try to embarrass the Pats because they were embarrassed in Dec. That said we couldn’t even stop a pedestrian run game.
I think this tact may backfire on them as they go into the next round, because they might seriously overrate themselves. Anyone who watched tonight’s game and saw Mac as an issue is just drinking the media kool aid. IMO the only two people who didn’t quit were Mac and Bourne.

Judon ran out of gas, that's a big part of it.
He got faked out of his jock by Allen on one of his runs. The same exact situation came up in the last Bills' game but with a different player. Allen faked like he was going to cut to the middle and that froze the defender and opened up the left side for a big gain.

Speaking of Allen running, is it me or does he favor running to his left?

Was it Harry or Jonnu that broke up that pass to Meyers?
I'm pretty sure it was good old #1. By the looks of it Harry probably wasn't supposed to be there.

Miguel has the Pats with 2.5 M going into the next season when all franchise-tag and RFA tenders are picked up before any cut or restrucure, next year is still quite tight, but will jump in 2023, however a lot of young talent has to be brought in and hopefully it starts with a home run draft this year, because only acquiring veteran FA won't make it, you need to have also good players on rookie contract that are actually contributing from the start and not red shirting them 3 years

@Miguel should decide whether he wants to keep his Cap space accounting “snapshot in time“ or speculative. Trying to do both at the same time does not help clarity or show the big picture. Just the opposite. He is doing great job on the most part - but pushing this arbitrary 2.5M panic button is not a great service to frustrated pats fans :)

If he already accounts for RFA tenders > 9M (not a certainty at all), DMC > 4.7M void (not a certainty) etc - which dont affect the cap at the moment . he should add Pats can also create a ton of cap if/when they need it.

There's c. 30M just with simple restructures (which other teams were doing a ton all through the season and Pats not even once). And they will not compromise Pats Cap health since Pats have plenty of Cap Space in 2023 and it is widely expected League Cap to spike in 2023/2024.

There's also plenty of $ with simple cuts - and judging by yesterday nothing should surprise us.

The big picture reality is Pats are in good cap shape to do what they want to do to continue building this team.
You can bring plenty good players for 20-30M 2022 Cap Space if you can get them on multiple yr deals..

Last edited:
Hopefully we bring back Joe Judge for ST

The difference in speed between Buffalo's and NE's defense was staggering. Buffalo was able to just run around the edge non stop. A couple linebackers with some range would be a great start this offseason.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back