PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I can't remember an NFL quarterback have his arm strength talked about so much

Its really over the top at this point. You don't need Josh Allen's arm to complete like 95% of plays in the NFL

Chad Pennington... Peyton after his injury.... Peterman... etc...

And, while you don't need to have Josh Allen's arm, having an adequate arm, that can make all the necessary throws, is essential in the NFL.

Chad Pennington... Peyton after his injury.... Peterman... etc...

And, while you don't need to have Josh Allen's arm, having an adequate arm, that can make all the necessary throws, is essential in the NFL.
Yep, and we still don’t know if Mac has it… I suspect we’ll have a much, Much better idea of that in < 10 months time, for better or worse…

Tough loss...defense was bad, bad and bad.....Byrant was worse than that......

Mac wasn't great either....we have some work to do......

Let's discuss!!!!!!
Bills were desperate and Allen slung it around. We didn't convert our pick opportunities, and the officiating again slanted heavily in our opponents' favor.

The Patriots aren't more talented than the other AFC teams.

But they don't need to be. When they 1. Keep their heads and 2) Don't beat themselves, they can beat anyone.

Our margin for error is razor thin, especially with the officiating the way it is. We have to be smarter; specifically for example: do not throw at a double covered Harry regardless of down and distance - just run the ball. Running the ball works. ANY quarterback needs to be protected, but especially ours. He is a rookie. He'll still be a rookie even when there's five minutes left in the fourth quarter in LA on February 13.

I guess i'll have to re-watch the Hughes play.

From my memory, I thought he was trying to hold him up from falling.
I think Hughes realized he screwed up by putting his hands on Mac and then tried to correct his mistake. My issue was with the officials deciding oh he didn’t mean it so let’s pick up the flag.

I don’t know any teams fans that would be OK with their QB being punched while laying on their back.

View attachment 39239
At first I was like - that's kindof late, but on repeated viewings, it looks like he punched the ball and not anywhere on Allen. Pls look at the angle of final contact - pretty parallel to the ground. Really good strike by Judon.

Not if they change the quarantine protocols to match the new CDC guidance. If that happens fast he might even be available this weekend. 5 day quarantine instead of 10.
Good call. Looks like they just did exactly that.

At first I was like - that's kindof late, but on repeated viewings, it looks like he punched the ball and not anywhere on Allen. Pls look at the angle of final contact - pretty parallel to the ground. Really good strike by Judon.

Would you be happy if defenses started punching the ball on Mac Jones stomach while he’s laying on his back after the play is over?

I think Hughes realized he screwed up by putting his hands on Mac and then tried to correct his mistake. My issue was with the officials deciding oh he didn’t mean it so let’s pick up the flag.

Agreed.

Would you be happy if defenses started punching the ball on Mac Jones stomach while he’s laying on his back after the play is over?
No. I prefer they smash his face with their helmets, shove him face-first to the ground after he slides, or shove him then grab him and tug down when he's already out of bounds.

Seriously, STFU.

Moot point - Allen was still technically falling, and Judon didn't punch Allen in the stomach - he punched the ball at pretty close to parallel to the ground (not unlike a plane landing on the ground).

I mean, he wasn’t… but ok.
In the beginning of the gif you posted his back was still falling at a fast rate for a slow motion clip. Sure his butt was on the ground - can you please give the timestamp of the game if you have it? I'd like to see it in full speed with context to really provide accurate judgment.

To answer your question - have you seen the protective layers on his stomach? He'd barely flinch with all that padding! Wouldn't affect me either way unless it was Ivan Drago doing the punching.

1640739617808.png

In the beginning of the gif you posted his back was still falling at a fast rate for a slow motion clip. Sure his butt was on the ground - can you please give the timestamp of the game if you have it? I'd like to see it in full speed with context to really provide accurate judgment.

Sorry, I don’t know the time.
Where is Allen’s body in this photo, when Judon winds up his punch?

C329CBDF-B989-45A6-B499-91498660AD97.png

View attachment 39280
This is such a bang-bang thing though. If Allen's body has JUST touched the ground and Judon is already throwing his fist down, his thought process was most likely that Allen might not be on the ground yet (hard to tell from above him I'd imagine) and perhaps his backside is actually resting on another player, so he's gonna try to punch the ball. I would guess that Allen's backside touching the ground and Judon's fist making contact with something occur within a fraction of a second of one another. But all we've got is this still image which doesn't really tell us much of anything.

View attachment 39280
The still photo doesn't really help your cause - his back was still falling, and that's what it looked like to Judon. Also, that's not the start of the windup - the actual beginning of the punch (like bringing the hand to this position) started well before this while he was still off the ground. Like I said previously, he seem to hit the ball square and didn't actually hit Allen. We'd need the full video to make the case.

This is such a bang-bang thing though. If Allen's body has JUST touched the ground and Judon is already throwing his fist down, his thought process was most likely that Allen might not be on the ground yet (hard to tell from above him I'd imagine) and perhaps his backside is actually resting on another player, so he's gonna try to punch the ball. I would guess that Allen's backside touching the ground and Judon's fist making contact with something occur within a fraction of a second of one another. But all we've got is this still image which doesn't really tell us much of anything.

You’re right in that I can’t really judge intent. So I probably shouldn’t.

The still photo doesn't really help your cause - his back was still falling, and that's what it looked like to Judon. Also, that's not the start of the windup - the actual beginning of the punch (like bringing the hand to this position) started well before this while he was still off the ground. Like I said previously, he seem to hit the ball square and didn't actually hit Allen. We'd need the full video to make the case.

Just FYI - the play is over as soon as the butt hits the ground. His back doesn’t have to be down.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back