PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread - #1 Seed Pats beat the Bills

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillips didn't go into the locker room or anything so hopefully that's a good sign? I just saw him talking to trainers on the sidelines and he didn't really look dejected to me.
I just remember that Brady walked off the field in 2008 after his knee injury...

I just remember that Brady walked off the field in 2008 after his knee injury...

right, but he went straight to the locker room iirc. Just seems different with this one the way he was talking to the trainer. Then after i posted this someone shared his tweet last night thanking God or something like that so i think hes fine.

I'm more confused now...... I thought deferring their choice to second half strictly meant receiving the ball.

There was a bad snap first or second possession which resulted in a 12 yard punt?
See this post earlier in the thread:

Game Day Thread - Official Post Game Thread - #1 Seed Pats beat the Bills

Bills won the toss. They deferred their choice - meaning giving the Pats the choice of kick/receive or field direction. They chose the ball, Buffalo then chose to give the Patriots the wind in their face in Q1. I think that was a mistake too, but I can understand the logic of using trying to rattle Mac immediately.

So now in the 2nd half, Buffalo has the choice of kick/receive or field direction. They chose the ball, so the Patriots then chose to have the wind in thr 4th quarter. But Buffalo could have chosen field direction (and have wind in the 4th quarter), which would give the Pats choice of kicking or receiving which presumably they’d receive.

Last edited:
Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I think McDermott showed no class as a coach in the post match interview. Yes he was angry but he could have chosen his words better in front of the media and then tackled the performance behind closed doors. His staff and players will "remember this"

I think McDermott showed no class as a coach in the post match interview. Yes he was angry but he could have chosen his words better in front of the media and then tackled the performance behind closed doors. His staff and players will "remember this"

at what point in this game DID he show any?

he's a whiny c#$t pre game, during the game, and after the game.......and when the Bills miss the playoffs, he'll be lucky to scapegoat Daboll and keep his job

Can somebody help me here?

I always thought the result of the coin toss win was take the ball or defer. Deferring the ball gives you the option of what side of the field you prefer on the opening kickoff. Never knew it could be used again in the second half?

The things one can realize when not bar-watching!
I thought I heard that the Patriots won the tossed and deferred their choice to the second half. So the Bills got to choose how the game began. They chose to start with the wind at their back, so the Patriots got the ball.

When the Patriots got to choose at the start of the second half, they chose to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter, so the Bills got the ball.

Basically, both teams based their decision on the wind.

I thought I heard that the Patriots won the tossed and deferred their choice to the second half. So the Bills got to choose how the game began. They chose to start with the wind at their back, so the Patriots got the ball.

When the Patriots got to choose at the start of the second half, they chose to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter, so the Bills got the ball.

That’s exactly 100% not what happened though you might have heard it.

See this post earlier in the thread:

Game Day Thread - Official Post Game Thread - #1 Seed Pats beat the Bills

Bills won the toss. They deferred their choice - meaning giving the Pats the choice of kick/receive or field direction. They chose the ball, Buffalo then chose to give the Patriots the wind in their face in Q1. I think that was a mistake too, but I can understand the logic of using trying to rattle Mac immediately.

So now in the 2nd half, Buffalo has the choice of kick/receive or field direction. They chose the ball, so the Patriots then chose to have the wind in thr 4th quarter. But Buffalo could have chosen field direction (and have wind in the 4th quarter), which would give the Pats choice of kicking or receiving which presumably they’d receive.
Okay, it's starting to get a bit clearer for me. I thought deferring meant to kick initially instead of receiving the ball, and receiving in the second half. And by doing so, getting to choose the preferred field to start the game.

Thanks

No, the Bills won the toss and deferred their choice to the 2nd half.
Patriots vs. Bills: New England outlasts Buffalo, wins 14-10 in a wind tunnel

I'm more confused now...... I thought deferring their choice to second half strictly meant receiving the ball.

There was a bad snap first or second possession which resulted in a 12 yard punt?
No, deferring means deferring the decision. So they have all the choices available to them at the start of the second half if they defer.

it wasn’t a bad snap. Wind moved the ball as Bailey dropped it so he didn’t get a clean impact on his foot iirc, and of course the same wind affected it after he kicked it.

If the Bills deferred their choice to the second half, the Patriots get to choose how to start the game - they choose whether to receive or kick. Of course, in this scenario, it would be insane to kick since the BIlls would just choose to receive the ball at the beginning of the second half.

That’s exactly 100% not what happened though you might have heard it.
You mean those announcers were wrong when they said the Patriots deferred? Who woulda thunk it? :) :)

McDermott's rant was dumb, but honestly other than playing a cleaner game, as far as game management goes, I'm not sure what he could have done better. Pats out muscled them. Not sure there was a better strategy for them.

I just have to state how incredible it is to be the #1 seed in the AFC right now. Again.
It's the most miraculous situation. Not only to be declared dead last year. But even 2 months ago.
The stupid Brady vs. BB arguments raging... If anyone doubts his supremacy, or his piece of the dynasty legacy, they're stupid - pure idiots.
Mac is performing just like Brady in his first year. Brady wouldn't have become anything close to what he did without Bill.
But now we can see, Bill would have (and is again) becoming something without Brady.
This team is so well-rounded. And I can't wait to see them light up the passing game in the dome in 2 weeks!
Go Pats.

Does B over-rule the fact that the receiving team touched the ball even though it doesn't say it? I had thought that it was similar to an erroneous snap on a punt..

The way I read that is that (a). doesn't apply (because he touched it) and so you move on to see if (b). applies, which it does. So touchback.

Presumably if he touched it, but it doesn't go through the end zone, and also wasn't downed in the end zone by the receiving team, then the kicking team would have a chance to possess it.

Haven't had a chance to scan the thread so pardon if I'm regurgitating:

Interesting how this came down to some crucial coaching moments. Bill's decision to go for 2 early on was an absurdly good, defensive decision (not saying that's why he did it, but it did become a crucial defensive variable.) That extra point dictated McDermott's decision making in the 4th qtr. That and the sheer belligerence in committing to the run. Each moment in the redzone, McDermott had to consider if it'd be his last trip or not given how much of the clock we'd eat up.

Love the result, and the stack of notes it gave Bill to consider coaching up going into the bye week.

right, but he went straight to the locker room iirc. Just seems different with this one the way he was talking to the trainer. Then after i posted this someone shared his tweet last night thanking God or something like that so i think hes fine.

I agree Phillips is likely OK, but he could have a sprained knee (some ligament strain) and be out for a few weeks. I agree it does not look like he is lost for the season. Who knows how long it takes for Harris' hamstring to heal. Injuring it twice was not good - I am guessing that he told the training staff he was 100% when he should have sat.

McDermott's rant was dumb, but honestly other than playing a cleaner game, as far as game management goes, I'm not sure what he could have done better. Pats out muscled them. Not sure there was a better strategy for them.
Defense - They could have put 5-6 men on the line when it was obvious to everyone watching and not that the Pats were going to run all night.
Offense - They should have had a boatload of running plays just for Josh Allen, and also pass less and pass shorter with less wind issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back