PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Game Day Thread- Week 17 Jets @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had it on mute- what'd he say?
Basically he is a Squeeler fan boy (whether that is by the studio or him).....definitely pumping the squeals!!!!

Man Brady could never make a deep pass like that, we should trade Brady for this Petty guy. He looks like a real winner

Sideline Gatorade drinking controversy

Main article: 1975 National Football League player beverage controversy

In an incident dubbed "GatorGate," on October 6, 1975, NFL security caught a Cowboys assistant serving orange-flavored Gatorade to players on the sidelines. The NFL rules state "No commercial beverages of any kind are permitted to be in use on the sidelines, on the field, or in the locker room during the game which are not sanctioned by the league." Only the lemon lime version of Gatorade is listed as authorized for use in the NFL, although there is no restriction on varying flavors or colors. Lions coach Rick Forzano, a former assistant at the Naval Academy when Roger Staubach was quarterback, tipped off league officials that the Cowboys might have been serving illegal beverages. After the game, the Lions formally complained to the league.

On October 11, the NFL fined Cowboys Head Coach Tom Landry $500,000—the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 55-year history, and fined the Cowboys $250,000, both the maximum fines allowable under league rules. Additionally, the Cowboys forfeited their first round draft pick in the 1976 NFL Draft. Pete Rozelle, an alumnus of the University of San Francisco, said that he fined the Cowboys as a team because Landry exercises so much control over the Cowboys' on-field operations that "his actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club." Rozelle considered suspending Landry, but decided that taking away draft picks would be more severe in the long run. Alouicious Tomase, New York Daily News columnist, stated Landry should have been suspended by Rozelle for the Cowboys' next game against the Giants. Freelance sports reporter Chris Mortensen reported that the Cowboys' Gatorade was likely spiked with illegal steroids.

Landry later issued the following statement:

I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Schramm family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the Dallas Cowboys for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Cowboys fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career. [...] As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of orange Gatorade had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used orange Gatorade to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress. [...] Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect. [...] With tonight's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game.

Several coaches of other teams admitted using orange flavored Gatorade. Ultimately, the only technical violation Rozelle was able to determine the Cowboys committed was the use of blue and white colored coolers instead of the common green and orange coolers.

The sanctions against Landry were the harshest imposed on a head coach in league history.
Pardon me?

Okay Robbie Rotten. Let’s calm down.

I'm all about player safety, but I'm not sure Gilmore should have been flagged for that. All well. Garbage time anyway.

Easy pick Dmac ohhhhhhh

Suddenly they put me in there on defense wearing #32...

• Ha Ha
Reactions: TBR
A hair behind? More like two feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back