PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Gronk nor Cooks would yield a first round pick. This is all wishful thinking from some posters here..

Yea I figure a second and a 4th is about right. Hes only 28 (lot of miles on that body) but at ~$11m and $12m cap hits in '18 nd '19 hes not cheap.

Yea I figure a second and a 4th is about right. Hes only 28 (lot of miles on that body) but at ~$11m and $12m cap hits in '18 nd '19 hes not cheap.

Gronk turns 29 on May 14th. JPP just turned 29 on New Year's Day.

Gronk turns 29 on May 14th. JPP just turned 29 on New Year's Day.
Oh he turns 29 that soon? Yea no way he fetches a 1st.

I think a team on the cusp would trade a 2nd for him. Even if he has a 80/1000/10TD season for said team and they go to the SB and a couple more ok to good years then it was worth it.

It's official. Terreller Pryor is continuing his vocational journey through the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. Beginning with the Raiders then on to the Brownies and now after a disappointing season with the Skins he hit the quadfecta of suck and signed with the Jete.

Terrelle Pryor agrees to terms on deal with Jets

It's official. Terreller Pryor is continuing his vocational journey through the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. Beginning with the Raiders then on to the Brownies and now after a disappointing season with the Skins he hit the quadfecta of suck and signed with the Jete.

Terrelle Pryor agrees to terms on deal with Jets
That is odd. Thats like hitting on fat chicks at a bar and leaving the horny hot ones alone.

So, that's $9.6M, minus whatever the 2018 cap hits are for Waddle & M. Flowers.

Flowers has been reported as $2.55M, though some of that may be incentives.
No estimates on Waddle yet.

That is odd. Thats like hitting on fat chicks at a bar and leaving the horny hot ones alone.

It can only be explained by an epic case of self loathing with attendant masochism.

I think a trade of Gronk for draft choices is a real possibility. A 2nd rounder and possibly a mid-round choice would be about right. The team should be in the NFC to minimize chances of the Pats seeing Gronk multiple times each season. I can see bringing back Bennett on a team-friendly contract as the #1 TE, drafting a TE, and maybe cutting Allen or renegotiating his contract.

I think a trade of Gronk for draft choices is a real possibility. A 2nd rounder and possibly a mid-round choice would be about right. The team should be in the NFC to minimize chances of the Pats seeing Gronk multiple times each season. I can see bringing back Bennett on a team-friendly contract as the #1 TE, drafting a TE, and maybe cutting Allen or renegotiating his contract.

Bennett, a top draftee and an extended Allan would set us at the position for 4 years.

I think a team on the cusp would trade a 2nd for him. Even if he has a 80/1000/10TD season for said team and they go to the SB and a couple more ok to good years then it was worth it.

Don’t know about their cap situation but I would think the saints would give up their 1 for Gronk with assurances he’s willing to play. That teams window is now.

Best TE in the nfl and actrip to the Sb is only worth a second?
Would you rather have a second and no Sb or Gronk and another Sb?

Yep.

I said that is what they would get.

I am not implying they should trade him.

Don’t know about their cap situation but I would think the saints would give up their 1 for Gronk with assurances he’s willing to play. That teams window is now.
I don't see it. Not at his age.

If he was 25 and locked in for a few years then they bidding starts at a high first.

Yep.

I said that is what they would get.

I am not implying they should trade him.
Anyone who would offer a second, when the patriots rejected it and came back with a 1 and 3 would be silly to not pay that. Gronk is worth at least that and likely more.

That's Gronk's cap hit on the Patriots. A new team won't be responsible for past signing bonuses. Gronk's cap hits in 2018 and 2019 for a team that trades for him would be $8.9M and $10M respectively. A damn bargain in this market. The difference would be dead money on the Patriots cap.

Not sure why this back and forth keeps happening. It's pretty clear that everyone who makes this point is saying that no team would offer a 1st for Gronk. Nothing about what the Patriots would want or even what we as fans should want.

That's Gronk's cap hit on the Patriots. A new team won't be responsible for past signing bonuses. Gronk's cap hits in 2018 and 2019 for a team that trades for him would be $8.9M and $10M respectively. A damn bargain in this market. The difference would be dead money on the Patriots cap.

This is essentially a Cooks situation. A team gets a top player with 2 reasonable years left on his contract. A low first or early second seems right.

The big open question is whether Gronk really wants to play for 2 years. If so, WE should keep him. If he is likely to play for only 0 or 1 year, the situation is different.

Not sure why this back and forth keeps happening. It's pretty clear that everyone who makes this point is saying that no team would offer a 1st for Gronk. Nothing about what the Patriots would want or even what we as fans should want.
It simple. If you say no team would offer more than x and the patriots would be morons to take x it demonstrates that teams would offer more because gronks value is obviously more than x.
It’s just using the patriots end to add perspective. In other words if the patriots were force to choose between keeping Gronk or forfeiting a first it’s a nobrainer, assuming gronks commitment to continue to play which would obviously be part of any trade.

So “this back and forth” is based on the incorrect assumption that you can’t get a 1 fir Gronk.

With the uncertainty at OT, I wouldn't want to cut Allen and his excellent blocking skills, regardless whether his receiving was up to par or not. I'd rather extend-restructure his contract to reduce his 2018 & 2019 cap hits.

I'd think about signing both Bennett and Marcedes Lewis (Lewis at vet minimum) for their blocking and experience, then draft a guy like Hayden Hurst.

One of Bennett/Lewis won't make the roster, though Hollister might as a special-teamer/deep-reserve TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents