PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Local fans should be losing their minds over the pathetic off-season the Patriots are having. The Sneed whiff is just another example of their incompetence. He would have made a dynamic pair with Gonzo. I suppose the excuse will be that the Patriots were concentrating on offense in the off-season, but they muffed that also.

I have not seen such incompetence since an owner named Wellington Mara was the unofficial GM of the Giants. It was not until a football professional named George Young was appointed as the GM (and Tim Young was co-owner) that the team got out of the basement and got away from Wellington's amateur personnel moves.
You're right. It is pathetic free agency. This was a perfect offseason to turn short-term talent into long-term talent that would survive the rebuild. Sneed is just the latest example. At least one of Godchaux, Wise, or Jones should have been replaced. Judon, Andrews, and Bentley should have also been considered. You need more than just draft picks to turn the franchise around. Hopefully, they will change their behavior next season.

But who knows. Russini basically guaranteed that Belichick to ATL was a done deal.

Thanks, hadn’t seen that they were even interested. Though “poked around” is a far cry from “tried to trade for him and then sign him to the most lucrative deal for a corner in franchise history but got beat out by the Titans”… in all likelihood it was more like “how much does he want? Oh, yeah, we’re good for now. Will call back after the draft.”

Thanks, hadn’t seen that they were even interested. Though “poked around” is a far cry from “tried to trade for him and then sign him to the most lucrative deal for a corner in franchise history but got beat out by the Titans”… in all likelihood it was more like “how much does he want? Oh, yeah, we’re good for now. Will call back after the draft.”
I can only imagine the outcry here if the Pats had traded their early 3rd-round pick for a defensive player they then had to sign to a long-term deal.

I can only imagine the outrage here if the Pats used #66 on a corner in the draft.

I can only imagine the outcry here if the Pats had traded their early 3rd-round pick for a defensive player they then had to sign to a long-term deal.

I can only imagine the outrage here if the Pats used #66 on a corner in the draft.
The Titans gave them a 2025 3rd. The Chiefs would've come out about the same by letting him go FA and get the 3rd round comp pick in 2025, though the Titans pick will probably be a mid 3rd vs a very low 3rd. Sneed would have been worth a 2025 3rd.

The Titans gave them a 2025 3rd. The Chiefs would've come out about the same by letting him go FA and get the 3rd round comp pick in 2025, though the Titans pick will probably be a mid 3rd vs a very low 3rd. Sneed would have been worth a 2025 3rd.
Just saw that, and I think he would have, yes.

Your point is valid.

My opinion the first 2 picks need to be QB and either LT or WR. After that you have to consider defense too.

Ha, nice change from “He’s not very good”
Sneed is pretty ****ing good. Tenn fleeced KC.
Sneed is solid.. he became a better player over the years.. he took his lumps early on on his career.. he's a top 10 CB for sure.

Surely you can’t be serious.
Cap'n he has a point if you think about it.
Last season we lost gonzo.. Wade played well, Bryant got better, Alex Austin really came on and impressed by the end of the season.. with gonzo and j. Jones we have some excellent starting CBs.. Marcus in the mix as well..

I think by week 1 Gonzo of course, and Alex Austin will be the outside CBs.. just my hunch.. j.jones is going to FS..
Jonathan is starting to get up there in age and wear and tear so FS might not be a bad way for him to get a few more years out of his body but he's been underrated as a corner for us for years.

And Marcus had a couple of interceptions his rookie combined with his exciting special teams play and work at WR and I am still just very excited about his overall ball and I think he'll be a very good corner for us.

And Gonzo is what he is. We all saw it before he got hurt. Sometimes that sets guys back but I have every expectation that he will be a top ten corner in this league.

Peppers and Dugger can ball.

I like how Austin played in December and I wouldn't be against signing or drafting someone to round out the depth but everyone above is what this secondary will truly be made of.

I think by week 1 Gonzo of course, and Alex Austin will be the outside CBs.. just my hunch.. j.jones is going to FS..

I was thinking about jones to fs this year and maybe thats why they’re passing up on the guys in fa. Ideally you sign Gilmore to be oppposite gonzo, but if they were that high on Austin it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Heck, our secondary did alright last year with jon, myles, Austin , and Wade at cb and the same safety room

I hadn't thought of Jonathan Jones moving to FS. Intriguing.

Made me think back to when Devin McCourty was moved from corner to safety, and certain fans/sports talk decided that decision was proof that he was a draft bust.

Want to see what Marco Wilson can do when he’s not forced into that #1 CB role.
Yeah, but do we trust him to be better than Alex Austin or even Shaun Wade?

It will be great if that is the case, but I'm not holding out on any hope that he is.

Yeah, but do we trust him to be better than Alex Austin or even Shaun Wade?

It will be great if that is the case, but I'm not holding out on any hope that he is.
Agree, that’s why I want to see what he can do without that pressure. Might suck, might be a solid starter

You're right. It is pathetic free agency. This was a perfect offseason to turn short-term talent into long-term talent that would survive the rebuild. Sneed is just the latest example. At least one of Godchaux, Wise, or Jones should have been replaced. Judon, Andrews, and Bentley should have also been considered. You need more than just draft picks to turn the franchise around. Hopefully, they will change their behavior next season.

Which "Jones" are you referring to? Marcus or Jonathan? Why should Wise have been replaced? Do you know what defensive base Mayo is running? Because I haven't seen him mention it at all. Neither has Covington to my knowledge.

Are they running a 2-2-3-5? Are they running a 4-3 Under? Are they running a 3-4? Are they running a 4-2 Nickle where the 4 are all 300+?

The Pats had one of their Captains retire. Your saying that they should have also considered replacing 4 others??

The Pats have added 9 free agents from other teams. Are you really complaining that they only signed 2 players from other teams to deals longer than 1 year?

Are you upset that they gave long term deals to Henry, Bourne, Jennings, and Onwenu? Are you upset that they are trying to get Judon, Dugger, and Barmore under new contracts?

Do you understand that they are still in play for Higgins and will need money to pay him as well?

Do you understand that the Pats will need about 15M to sign their draft picks and probably 6-10M for #52/#53 and the 16 player Practice Squad?

A couple of front loaded signings and the $49M they have in cap space is GONE. Keep in mind that Onwenu's cap hit is just shy of 11M. Keep in mind that a long term deal for Dugger is likely only going to free up 2-3M from where he's at now, IF it frees up any at all

Also, the only players whom the Pats have signed who will be older than 30 when their contracts are up are Henry and Bourne. Though Bourne can be cut after 2024 easily enough.

I think that says a LOT about the Front Office's thought process. They've taken a similar approach to what BB did when he first got her. Cut what they could, add what they can. Keep their priority players and build around the 2 drafts of youngsters.

They brought in 12 guys last year. Speed is gone because he was the odd man out due to injuries elsewhere. Not because he stunk. He played well. Bolden was on IR all last year but should be healthy. Hopefully they got him a new mouth guard and helmet.

Between Gonzalez, White, Sow, Douglas and Baringer, that's a good start. Jake Andrews started coming on last year and showed that he might be in play for the LG position if Strange is out for any length of time. Sow and Mafi could be in play for that position as well depending on what happens at RG and RT. Mapu, Ryland, and Boutte had up and down years. It remains to be seen if they bounce back.

By my count, the Pats have 9 picks this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick that many or more depending on what happens on draft day. People forget that BB had 20 picks between his first 2 drafts. I think only 16 made the team out of camp.

The team isn't in nearly as bad a shape as when BB took over in 2000.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back