PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Jets signing Mike Williams, 1-year deal, up to $15 million.
Jete looking good on paper if Williams and Smith are healthy they have a legit shot at the division even with a not 100 percent Rodgers

I love that Trent used the Patriots dysfunction as an excuse for him checking in and out over the course of multiple years. Hey buddy your bad attitude may have been a contributing factor. What a winner.

For what it's worth (which means probably nothing), I've heard it being touted on here and in other places that the current front office might be adopting the "Packer Way" when it comes to personnel/team building.

I have just this to say about that: The "Packer Way" has produced just one SB since the Patriots have won 6 (while appearing in 9).

Also, Packer management did not do a good job of giving Aaron Rodgers or Brett Farve before him, sufficient talent to win more than their combined 2 SB Championships.

I absolutely believe that the core of any legit SB contending/winning team is built through the draft (with smart FA acquisitions to complete the puzzle). That being said, with few exceptions, SB winning teams need a Franchise QB. Brock Purdy is a good QB and had a superior team around him on offense and a solid defense and special teams. But, until he ever proves otherwise, he's not Elite. And, the team that he and San Francisco lost to, primarily lost because the Chiefs had an Elite QB.

I know that finding a Franchise QB is often a crap shoot at best, but, if your team absolutely has the chance to draft one that they believe can be just that, then you draft that guy, sit him for his rookie season if he's on the young side, and build the team around him, then sustain it through the draft and free agency.

I won't fault the team for at least swinging and missing on a possibly elite QB (which Mac Jones was never going to be). In a San Francisco situation, Jones may have been a good game manager type, but he didn't have the "It Factor". Mahomes wasn't considered a Franchise QB when he was drafted (anymore than TB was, although was much more highly rated coming into the draft than TB was). If anyone disagrees, fine. But let's just politely agree to disagree.

Anyone in on low risk deal with Bahktiari?
Looks like they're looking at Chubacca at LT. Played LT his last 2 years in college, or something. Doesn't mean they won't draft a LT.

Looks like they're looking at Chubacca at LT. Played LT his last 2 years in college, or something. Doesn't mean they won't draft a LT.
return of the jedi episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Damn they literally did nothing to improve the team with 100 million in cap space.
They resigned some key guys and the crop of FA this year aren't that great. I would've loved to have had Ridley though or Allen

Provided it is incentive laden a one year deal is all any team should sign Trent 'Minimum Effort' Brown to
Let's not memory hole that Brown was screwed out of millions, signing for right tackle money, and then being moved to left tackle with no warning. Yeah, minimal effort, sure, but maybe you don't put in all the effort on a bad team either when the management lied to your face.

Let's not memory hole that Brown was screwed out of millions, signing for right tackle money, and then being moved to left tackle with no warning. Yeah, minimal effort, sure, but maybe you don't put in all the effort on a bad team either when the management lied to your face.

A max effort in a contract year is simply showing good business sense if you want to recoup some of those lost millions. Petulance, not so much. YMMV

A max effort in a contract year is simply showing good business sense if you want to recoup some of those lost millions. Petulance, not so much. YMMV
Well, the Bengals didn't think so. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying there's context.

Well, the Bengals didn't think so. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying there's context.

Have yet to see any numbers but the Bengals only gave him one year and in a tackle light FA period he took it, just sayin'

They resigned some key guys and the crop of FA this year aren't that great. I would've loved to have had Ridley though or Allen
. They didn’t get worse, which was always a possibility. But as currently constituted this is a 4-5 win team

The lack of spending to this point is concerning however

I am guessing based on either Brissett or a highly drafted QB starting, and the schedule this year, it's around a 6 win team. But I agree with @Mack Herron, the goal this year is to build a foundation, then aim for 9 to 10 wins and the 6th/7th seed in 2025, and then hopefully be fully built and ready to contend for the division in 2026. But the defense is very good as-built so there's certainly room to be surprised.

I don't understand this

He was signed as a tackle.

He got the best money he could get.

When they needed him elsewhere because Wynn flamed out, they moved him to the other tackle spot.

I don't understand this argument and I don't see how this is a problem. You don't get more money for moving to a better position. That doesn't make any sense.

I am guessing based on either Brissett or a highly drafted QB starting, and the schedule this year, it's around a 6 win team. But I agree with @Mack Herron, the goal this year is to build a foundation, then aim for 9 to 10 wins and the 6th/7th seed in 2025, and then hopefully be fully built and ready to contend for the division in 2026. But the defense is very good as-built so there's certainly room to be surprised.
With a decent QB and no injuries, the return of Judon and Gonzalez, there should be instant improvement.

It's hard to say though since these are entirely new coaches with new playbooks.

Pats are irrelevant. Going to be a few years before people care about them again. They seem okay with carrying over 30 million or so in cap room. Good offseason for the Krafts thats for sure
The organization is always going to be relevant, I do agree with you on the cap space, they need to spend. Heck the NFL and the CBA even says so.. at this point extend Barmore , peppers do something!

With a decent QB and no injuries, the return of Judon and Gonzalez, there should be instant improvement.

It's hard to say though since these are entirely new coaches with new playbooks.
One major factor JB was brought back is he knows the AVP offense.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back