PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Whiffed?

JEST offered him a contract up to $20m. They also offer Aaron Rodgers. They're all in this year.

I don't get where the Pats should grab 33 year old (or 32 - Allen) at this point in a rebuild. Rent-a-star is for teams ready to make a run. This team isn't it.

They missed on a few really good younger players this FA. But I won't complain about them missing on soon-to-be-extinct dinosaurs. Those are always a gamble - Buffalo had to shed a bunch of talent this year for Von Miller.
The rent a star at LT is to keep the rookie QB from getting killed. The Pats had plenty of cap space to overpay at LT, especially on a 1 or 2 year deal that would not put the team in a future cap bind and give the team time to find a more long term solution at LT.

The rent a star at LT is to keep the rookie QB from getting killed. The Pats had plenty of cap space to overpay at LT, especially on a 1 or 2 year deal that would not put the team in a future cap bind and give the team time to find a more long term solution at LT.
Brissett will likely be the QB and they’ve got guys who have played OT in the NFL for years

This idea of h getting the rookie killed is overblown, imo.

perhaps they are following a multi-year plan that looks something like this:

2024: define team core by resigning key FAs and drafting key needs including QB for development. Aim: partial foundation only goes so far.

2025: repeat noting multi year extensions for core players and increased roles for new players and real weapons. Aim: > .500 record

2026: fill holes as needed and able with proven FAs and trades. Aim: playoff contenders

If, as many have said, they are looking a few years down the line, it might be easier to understand the approach they have taken so far. Not gonna put fannies in seats or sell merch tho.

"Under Construction. Sorry for Any Inconvenience"

Last edited:
Let's see what Vegas has to say about FAcy so far.

Teams that bettered their odds (7): Chiefs (+100), Eagles (+200), Packers (+200), Jets (+500), Browns (+500), Falcons (+1500), Steelers (+3000).

Teams that worsened their odds (5): 49ers (-25), Bills (-200), Jags (-1000), Vikings (-1500), Cards (-2000).

Remaining 20 teams, odds stayed the same.

Vegas doesn't get impressed much with FAcy, unless there's a major QB change (Falcons up, Vikings down). Steelers dumping Pickett for Wilson was the biggest uptick in the odds. Not sure why ARI dropped so much since haven't been following them.

Pats were already at the bottom (+15000), tied with TEN (+15000) and remain there, ahead of Panthers (+25000). Ridley signing did nothing for TEN.

Bottom line: it's all about the QB. Not much else matters.

I think that the Patriots are doing Ok with their signings to date, actually better than I expect with re signing some of their own.
It's a week later than when I posted above and if we review the latest Patriots' signing we would see that they have yet to improve last year's team: WRs remain weak; QB got a bridge but for what or whom? The Pats have money but have mostly resigned their own. Is Maye their QB choice? I don't like him. Not impressed. Let's see what another week brings very few FAs that are good left to take and do the Pats will have to trade and draft. Not very good choices. Let's Go Pats, show us something positive.

Anyone in on low risk deal with Bahktiari?

Genuinely wonder how Mayo feels about free agency so far. Gotta think a small part of him has to be like what the heck’s going on, how bout some damn help.

Genuinely wonder how Mayo feels about free agency so far. Gotta think a small part of him has to be like what the heck’s going on, how bout some damn help.
I would hope that he’s well aware and intimately involved in the front office’s thinking and timeline. If a respectable portion of the cap space is used on a Barmore extension, I’m sure that he won’t be sad.

If he’s as puzzled by the off-season as some of us, the team’s in trouble, anyways! :)

KC getting Marquise Brown is a very under the radar signing. Brown plus Rice’s continued development gives them a much better receiving corps than last season.

While it doesn’t seem to be his first choice Gilmore seems open to potential return.

They should sign Gilmore, Simmons a tackle and call it a day until the draft.

I had a feeling he would sign with the Bengals last Thursday, when Jonah Williams left Cincy and signed with Arizona. Since the Bengals still have Orlando Brown Jr. at LT, Trent Brown can move over to RT. They now have two former Pats on their o-line (Ted Karras at C).

I had a feeling he would sign with the Bengals last Thursday, when Jonah Williams left Cincy and signed with Arizona. Since the Bengals still have Orlando Brown Jr. at LT, Trent Brown can move over to RT. They now have two former Pats on their o-line (Ted Karras at C).
If their line plays well and ours is still a weakness this will be frustrating but OL has been a weakness for Cincy too so we'll see.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back