PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you so sure they NEED a buyer?

They draft Williams, who might be amazing, but needs a lot of work. They run with Fields at least to the trade deadline, when a contending team might have an injury. It's not like they signed a really good vet QB, not a Brady-Winston situation, by any means.

I wouldn't move Fields, who's relatively cheap, while I'm trying to prepare a rookie QB. If Fields keeps improving and goes out there next year and lights it up, Chicago will get a haul for him at the trade deadline. Of if not that, they'll get a 3rd round comp pick when he signs elsewhere the following year for a boatload of cash.

Why in the world would you off-load those possibilities for a worthless 6th rounder?
If they draft Caleb at 1, they're starting Caleb. No way they have him ride the bench behind Fields. Not happening.

If they draft Caleb at 1, they're starting Caleb. No way they have him ride the bench behind Fields. Not happening.
You don't know that.

I've watched a lot of Williams tape recently. That would be a huge mistake. He's incredibly sloppy and makes up for it with giant physical skills...that won't work in the NFL.

Would you give up pick 66 for him?

Because that's at least what it would cost.
Yess without a doubt if we get Fields #3 would be for sale we get a Tackle and WR out of it plus we still have 34.

Yess without a doubt if we get Fields #3 would be for sale we get a Tackle and WR out of it plus we still have 34.
Well then, we'll agree to disagree.

Really sad to see that MY personal FA Binky, DHunter has decided to ply his craft in Texas this season. BUMMER!

We NEED another pass rusher even with the signings of Uche and Jennings, who is a great edge setter in the run game, but not an impact rusher.

Well then, we'll agree to disagree.
C'mon 50 as bad as Fields is according to most it's not Mac Jones we are talking about here Fields is inconsistent but not Broken: Huge difference.

And Mahomes
Suppose the difference is that the Pats had Bledsoe (just signed a mega deal) and Chief's had Alex Smith i.e. both had decent QBs to start with. For me if the rookie hasn't ousted Jacoby by the end of the season then maybe we took the wrong guy.

Really sad to see that MY personal FA Binky, DHunter has decided to ply his craft in Texas this season. BUMMER!

We NEED another pass rusher even with the signings of Uche and Jennings, who is a great edge setter in the run game, but not an impact rusher.
Great to have Josh Uche back but I would still look for a Edge Rusher from the Third Round up. Early picks designated to Offense.

C'mon 50 as bad as Fields is according to most it's not Mac Jones we are talking about here Fields is inconsistent but not Broken: Huge difference.
So, you're then picking up his option (paying him $15m/year for 2, essentially)?

If not, you traded away a high-3rd rounder for a one-year rental on a team that isn't likely to win much.

This is the day we really need to start improving the team. I would like to end the day with a starting tackle and a new WR at the least. Ideally we could find a solid number 2 corner and a solid starting DT too. That would allow us more flexibility going into the draft.

In all likelihood Ridley, Williams, Smith are not going to be worth the contracts they are given but that is free agency. As long as they are good players who improve substantially on what we have, I'm okay with that.

If we explore the WR trade market, I do not want to see us give up any of our top 3 picks. I assume Mike Williams will be cut and maybe that's something we could consider.

I'm not sold on Ridley, he disappeared a lot last season. Buyer beware.

I still want him I think, but the longer this drags on the more pause it gives me. I know money talks, but if money is the ONLY reason he'd come here, I don't think that's the kind of player you want to throw big bucks at. At least not until you have your QB established and are trying to maximize his rookie window. I still would take him, but if the price is too high, it's not worth it for this stage of their rebuild.

Hopefully today we see movement on Calvin Ridley, Tyron Smith and Jonah Williams. We will probably also see some shoes drop on players who are trade/cut candidates for teams with cap issues - namely, the Chargers and Keenan Allen/Mike Williams/Joey Bosa.

Would of been a glorious signing.

Can we expect any WR to be made available today i.e. one or two talking heads mentioning Brandon Aiyuk. Personally I'd be up for 34 for Tee Higgins. Don't see it as we can't seem to attract flies, but you can dream.

Hopefully today we see movement on Calvin Ridley, Tyron Smith and Jonah Williams. We will probably also see some shoes drop on players who are trade/cut candidates for teams with cap issues - namely, the Chargers and Keenan Allen/Mike Williams/Joey Bosa.
Yep, Patience. This may go all the way out to June 1st and beyond. There are going to be some good names out there and only a few suitors that have the money to snatch these players up. It won’t be “I want to play for this team.” More like, “I need to work and I’ll take whoever offers me a fair contract.”

So, you're then picking up his option (paying him $15m/year for 2, essentially)?

If not, you traded away a high-3rd rounder for a one-year rental on a team that isn't likely to win much.
15Mill is more than the going rate for good QB play Fields wasn't an embarrassment last year. I mean we don't know if Daniels or Maye are sure bets.

For those frothing at the mouth in a rush to sign FA's, you never know when good players will sign with you. IIRC, didn't we sign 2 DE's around 2010ish who managed 20 sacks between them in June. I can't remember the names off hand, But you never know who is going to be impactful and who isn't.

We dumped a LOT of money in FA and had VERY mixed results back in 21. Meanwhile ESPN and others produce meaningless lists about who "won" FA and who failed even when official FA starts today. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back