PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2023 Patriots Draft Day Discussion: Round 2/3

Hey, Bob, what happened? Step out to pee and let your loose cannon GM reach into his cookie jar? Tired from the romp last night with Mrs Milfilishious?

If you’re wondering why your team will finish poorly and miss the playoffs again, you might want to revisit the picks from the draft.

Look how other teams do it. Talk to Howie with the Eagles. Get his perspective. Mapup at 76?

When he starts laughing, you’ll have the sinking feeling that your employee is using your team to attempt to aggrandize his sons.

He’s going to retire in another year or two. So it’s not the end of the world to him if the franchise becomes firmly entrenched in mediocrity. He is looking forward, however, to seeing the boys prowling the sideline somewhere nfl.

Hey, Bob, what happened? Step out to pee and let your loose cannon GM reach into his cookie jar? Tired from the romp last night with Mrs Milfilishious?

If you’re wondering why your team will finish poorly and miss the playoffs again, you might want to revisit the picks from the draft.

Look how other teams do it. Talk to Howie with the Eagles. Get his perspective. Mapup at 76?

When he starts laughing, you’ll have the sinking feeling that your employee is using your team to attempt to aggrandize his sons.

He’s going to retire in another year or two. So it’s not the end of the world to him if the franchise becomes firmly entrenched in mediocrity. He is looking forward, however, to seeing the boys prowling the sideline somewhere nfl.

Are you ChatGPT?

I agree with all that. I had a pipe dream of getting a few more in the top 100. I'm sticking by my Marcus call right now. With the depth and 3 defensive picks, two in the secondary, now deeper and not as weak... you never know.
Mapu is a hybrid LB/S.. He's not a Corner. His being drafted has zero effect on where Marcus Jones will play.

If anything, the addition of Mapu helps to put a real nail in the Myles Bryant Coffin because the Pats will need the roster space for Mapu and Bryant is over-paid at 2.6M

I don't think any of our current Safeties have replaced Chung in the TE Coverage role. At least not as well. Mapu can, among other scheme fits. This is a typical BB Swiss Army pick. I'll save any regrets for at least a couple of years.

That's what I figure too.

Make this NE D impossible to not notice how good they are and then look at the guy in charge making faces with the 80s haircut. Stevie Belichick.

Some NFL team is bound to come a calling with a HC vacancy.

I just want to highlight this phrase here - positional tweener. It sounds like BB wants to use Mapu as his 'big nickel'. BB has played with this concept before but it has failed. Maybe he just didn't have the right type of athlete to make it work, and Mapu is the missing guy, or maybe this is going to be yet another BB 'experiment' gone wrong.

Sounds like? We are prone to parrot terms we don't really understand in order to fit a narrative when in reality we have no idea how they are going to use this kids talents. Does anyone know his 3 cone time, or 40 time or any of the other measurables we all rely on to help us evaluate a player's worth? What we DO know is that he was at the Senior Bowl and played for the Pats LB coach was was the team's DC.

But what does HE know compared to us? :rolleyes: Now I don't know if he's going to eventually be a starter or situational player for this D right away. I would tend not to think so in his rookie year. But I wouldn't ASSUME he's going to be a box safety.

Regardless it just feels like BB intentionally threw away the idea of improving the offense in this draft and just wants to work on juicing up only the defense. And that might even work to a certain extent.
That's just ridiculous. McClendon, DJones, Breeland, Duncan and Warren are ALL still available at OT and EVERYONE of then has been mentioned to go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds on a LOT of sites including the PFN one I used a lot during the run up to the draft

WR's Perry, Palmer Scott all had 3rd round grades and Wicks, Ford-Wheaton, among other have 4th round grades

And while I probably would have taken Kraft instead of Mapu, we will probably still have a shot at my personal TE binky Kuntz

So, VJC, There is still plenty of offensive talent left to grab and I wouldn't be surprise to see 2 of the names above to be on our list tomorrow.
But keep in mind that the Patriots were the 30th ranked offense in the NFL this past year.

And they were DEAD LAST in red zone efficiency. That's right #32!!!
That's not what I found when I looked. I saw sites that had them at anywhere from 22 to 25th. Not great, but not 30th either. BTW they were also 17th in scoring. Again not great, but better than I expected.
I get that we hired BOB, and that's a good change, but you still need PLAYERS and TALENT on offense to run your schemes!

We could have drafted a WR like Josh Downs at #76, we could have drafted an offensive tackle to protect Mac, or we could have drafted a big TE to act as a safety blanket like Darnell Washington who also would have been a big help in the blocking game and the redzone. Instead we did NONE of these things so BB could draft a 'pet project' hybrid big nickel tweener to 'tinker' with his defense some more.
I wasn't a fan of Downs. Too damn small. I was a fan of Washington, but the fact he lasted to the end of the 3rd tells me I overvalued him.
Meanwhile Mac is begging for SCRAPS on the streets and getting absolutely NOTHING. This draft if anything is BB's not so veiled FU to Mac Jones.

BB is telling the kid with his actions, not words - "Hey, the owner might not let me trade you, but hell if you're getting ANY HELP from me! This is what you GET for seeking help outside the building!"

Sorry Mac, all you get is coal in your stocking!

View attachment 51059

Your sarcasm is tiresome. We get it. But remember this, we are going to compete for a playoff spot this season, NOT a championship. Let's see what happens tomorrow before we go ballistic and remember that if you are really looking for big names to help the offense, they WILL be there in NEXT season's FA period. You know the one where we have all that cap space There wasn't a big name WR in FA or the draft this season. Just names that were good prospects. NEXT FA will have some big names on the OL and WR positions.

Now my biggest complaint is that we didn't use some of those picks to move back into the lower part of the 3rd and add a 4th pick. Hopefully they will be more successful in day 3. Maybe we ship one of those 4th rounders in a package for J Williams

???

Are you saying we haven't had success with UDFA OL?

We've had successes there over the years from Donald Thomas, Steven Neal, David Andrews, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Bryan Stork, Joe Andruzzi.

Stork was drafted and he was a success?

Thomas was drafted and not by the pats.

Andruzzi played for GB before the pats.

Dan Connolly played for JAX before the Pats.

It's not impossible that he improves. But let's put it this way. Without looking it up first can you guess who are players A, B, C, and D here?

Rookie season production:

Player A. 16 receptions 209 yards 2 TDs
Player B. 22 receptions 247 yards 2 TDs
Player C. 12 receptions 105 yards 2 TDs
Player D. 52 receptions 801 yards 4 TDs

Player A = Bethel Johnson
Player B = Tyquan Thornton
Player C = N'Keal Harry
Player D = George Pickens

As you can see... the wide receivers picked by the Patriots tend to FAIL!
The Steelers had a good draft.

The Chiefs had balls and moved up to take a WR they targeted. I've never seen the guy play so I'm not going to ******** everyone with mini Mel content off the draft sites, but KC is due to hit on a WR.

JuJu was quasi successful with KC last season for 3 reasons. 1 Travis Kelce is always open and is like a # 1 WR. 2 Mahomes is throwing you the ball. 3 Andy Reid really has taken his play design to the next level with Mahomes.

The Pat's do not have a # 1 WR to allow JuJu to fly under the radar. After AB left Pittsburgh JuJu struggled as the man.

There's many rankings, and lots of them had him well below the 3rd round.

Lance Zerlien of NFL.com had him slotted in round 5-6 and the site projects him to be an average backup in the NFL.

ProFootball Network has a 7th round grade on him. PFF had him ranked 125. DraftScout had a 6-7th round grade.

Sporting News ranked him as one of the worst value picks of the draft. Here's what they wrote:

Patriots: Marte Mapu, LB, Sacramento State​

• Round 3, Pick 76
Mapu got a lot of love from NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah when the Patriots selected him. He took to Twitter to praise the pick after it was made.
Despite the ringing endorsement, this was a bit earlier than Mapu was expected to go. The FCS star is a safety/linebacker hybrid who will be a good fit for the Patriots defense, but he never ranked higher than 156 on the consensus big board ahead of the draft. He was viewed as a positional tweener, so Bill Belichick and Co. will have to figure out exactly how best to use him at the next level.

So for you to say that he was picked "exactly where he was ranked" is pretty disingenuous.
Kirwan and Miller were big on him. I respect the hell out of those two's opinions.

Kirwan and Miller were big on him. I respect the hell out of those two's opinions.
I’m not arguing he can’t or won’t be a good player. He very well may. I just think at that point in the draft with glaring needs elsewhere it was a reach. Phil Perry and Tom Curran response was they like the player, just not at that point. That’s where I am. He’s a box safety which we have in Dugger and Philips.

Josh Downs. We passed on him. The Colts drafted him two picks later. He would have done wonders for our offense.

How many of these receivers are on the final year of their contract?
LOL a game changing 175 lbs wide receiver. How long is that list?

Think it’s pretty clear Bill thinks the addition of an actual successful OC, the additions of JuJu and MG are enough. Plus the tackles and the RB.

Think it’s pretty clear Bill thinks the addition of an actual successful OC, the additions of JuJu and MG are enough. Plus the tackles and the RB.
Or maybe this is the worst WR draft in the last 5-6 years. Maybe JSN goes in the first last year but none of the other 1st rounders do. The OT depth was also pretty shallow. I don't love the Mapu pick but some of this whining is ridiculous. (Slash 83 I'm not specifically talking about you, just the general thread tone.)

Wahhh.

Middle of the pack scoring offense you drama queen.

11th in scoring D. Seems like we'd rather go toward excellence in the latter at the moment... or we just think the highly touted offensive pieces just aren't that different from the 4-4th round value picks bin we'll be shopping with tomorrow

Of course we could always go defense with those too. I kind of would like to see us do it just to watch all the whiners' heads explode.
So we're going after defensive scoring as a reliable way to put pts on the board? The stats are skewed.

Not sure what the plan is with 4 picks in round 4 but overall I'm fairly satisfied with what we've done so far. For me, we don't beat the Bills, Fins etc by signing some smurf receiver from the terrible ACC. I think we beat the Bills, Fins etc by getting them off the friggin field. BoB + the pieces brought in so far already made the offence more competitive. However, the D needs to get elite offences off the field to start with, so I'm not sure why it's a major surprise we're going D so far.

Would love one of the two of them. I don't know why Jones is falling but the Twitter rumors have Washington falling over concerns with his knee.
I heard Jones didn't participate much in his pro day and showed a real bad attitude. Turned teams right off.

With the round 2 and 3 picks it appears we are backfilling positions that are a future need. If that's the case we should draft a center.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back