PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

However we did trade a second for Sanu before so I don’t know.

Hopkins can back it up, he's been elite his entire career. 2 yeas ago he tore his MCL, then last season started it with a 6 game suspension and that series of events has basically earned him an "injury prone" label

If you can get 2-3 good years out of him he would be worth a 2nd rounder. He's 31, so he's older but he's not that old

If hes available for a 4th it would be criminal not to trade 1 of our 3 picks for him.. but id imagine it will take at least a 3rd

Meanwhile, Little Bill's added ZEE-RO new DBs since the league year began... I mean how the **** is that even ****ing possible?!?
FOR YOU, this is a disaster. For ME, I think that we are in an excellent position. OF COURSE, I want an upgrade from Bledsoe and Wade.. There is a bit more of free agency left (how many months?) plus the draft to acquire these two players.
==========================
We have signed Jones and Peppers. I guess that you would have preferred new names instead. Almost everyone believes that we can find a solid CB in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

OUR TOP FOUR CORNERS
Mills, Jones, Jones, Jones

WE WILL CARRY SIX (with 4 active each game unless one is a punt returner). We have
BRYANT: an OK backup PR and #6 CB who should have ZERO defensive reps if there aren't two injuries). Bryant is the 2 injury backup.
WADE: injured and useless so far.
=========================
YES, we need a 4th safety as an upgrade to BLEDSOE. Peppers should be considered our starting free safety.
YES, we need a top draftee corner.
==========
My hope is that we be able to move Jonathan Jones back to nickel back to replace BRYANT!

Then there is the competition to play opposite Mills: Jack Jones, Marcus Jones, and our top draftee.

YES, we need a 4th safety as an upgrade to BLEDSOE. Peppers should be considered our starting free safety.
Really? Not Mills or Jo.Jones?
YES, we need a top draftee corner.
I agree...especially with Mills and / or Jo.Jones at FS.
==========
My hope is that we be able to move Jonathan Jones back to nickel back to replace BRYANT!
Marcus Joes will be the starting slot corner IMO...with Wade backing him up. I know some here like 5'8" 175 lbs Marcus Jones on the outside...I just don't see it.
Then there is the competition to play opposite Mills: Jack Jones, Marcus Jones, and our top draftee.
Agree

Last edited:

Marcus Joes will be the starting slot corner IMO...with Wade backing him up. I know some here like 5'8" 175 lbs Marcus Jones on the outside...I just don't see it.

Agree
If Peppers is their starting free safety, they are going to have major deep coverage issues.

For some reason many here keep listing Mills as part of the CB crew, when there is good evidence that he will primarily play free safety in 2023, barring major CB injury issues. It gives a false sense of security about the current CB depth.

If Peppers is their starting free safety, they are going to have major deep coverage issues.

For some reason many here keep listing Mills as part of the CB crew, when there is good evidence that he will primarily play free safety in 2023, barring major CB injury issues. It gives a false sense of security about the current CB depth.
What evidence?

Agree
Are we really ready to consider Jack Jones our starting CB opposite Jones or Mills? Or are we ready for the alternative of expecting a 2nd round rookie to start at CB?

And just BTW, I don't think that Marcus Jones has played much at nickel back. If he plays there in 2023, it will likely be as a backup. He has almost always played outside, in spite of his height.

My goal would be to move Jonathan Jones back to being one of the top nickel backs in the NFL.
===============

Are we really ready to consider Jack Jones our starting CB opposite Jones or Mills? Or are we ready for the alternative of expecting a 2nd round rookie to start at CB?
Yes for Jack Jones on the outside but I am ok with round 1-3 CB rookie as well for competition.
And just BTW, I don't think that Marcus Jones has played much at nickel back. If he plays there in 2023, it will likely be as a backup. He has almost always played outside, in spite of his height.
I don't disagree Ma. Jones played outside. I think he is better suited for the inside and will play there...possibly full time.
My goal would be to move Jonathan Jones back to being one of the top nickel backs in the NFL.
===============
I have been saying for years here I think with Jo. Jones speed, open field tackling and knowledge of the defense...that he would make an excellent FS. I still believe that. If he is at CB...then I prefer him at CB2 with Mills at FS.

Regardless, their is zero % chance I am right with my predictions...per usual.

I dont see Peppers as a FS... I dont know what he played in college but he seems like a SS/LB hybrid type all day which plays to his strengths. I would think moving a CB to FS would be easiest move - Mills being most likely option.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back