PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Off season moves

Real fan 02

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
As our team's on the brink of elimination.
I wanted to ask opinions of off season moves.

1) trade for lemelo ball, a true Playmaker at PG that can distribute and set guys up

2) add a big man scoring threat down low, someone to compliment Rob Williams

3) add a veteran wing defender, someone to lock up team's premier scorer. ( don't know what happened to Marcus smart)

Like to hear thoughts!

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the C's making many changes.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the C's making many changes.
They will, this is an utter embassement to the celtics organization and celtics pride.

They HAVE to aquire a true PG at the least

Too early. 4 games left.

the season is not over yet...however

1) They need a new coach
2) I'm ready to get rid of Marcus Smart (his act is old)
3) If you are going to trade Jaylen Brown, now is the time when you can get lottery picks for him
4) These are not rational thoughts but a team this talented and underachieving needs to be tweaked
5) I still cant believe the Bruins got embarrassed

The most obvious changes:
- Horford to the bench (he's only $10 million/yr)
- Trade Smart
- Keep White and Brogdon
- We need more athletic wings and better shooters
- Scrap the three point contest offense. Even the Warriors shouldn't be shooting more than 40 a game.

Where things get dicey:
- Trade one of Tatum or Brown

Either trade Brown and surround Tatum with shooters and let him run the offense as a point forward, or trade Tatum for a dominant big that can pass and get a PG that doesn't want to take more than 10 shots a game. Perhaps Derrick White is that PG.

The only way to trade Brown though is a sign and trade that doesn't involve the super max. Brown has so much leverage but he also doesn't want to be somewhere he's miserable. Maybe getting rid of Smart and Tatum promising not to fall on the floor and complain is enough to make him happy.

I don't know what to do with Joe Mazz. He got promoted on short notice and had to roll with most of what was in place already. If he is from the Brad Stevens school of chuck 3s then I say fire him. I don't believe this quitting on your coach narrative and from what I see on the floor it's players quitting on each other. I'd approve of getting someone tough like Voegel or Nurse to change the culture.

Love the Sam Cassell signing ...
But how will Mazzulla respond with Sam breathing down his neck.
Would love it if Cassell was our coach ... IDK ...
Mazzulla is wound way too tight and ignorant of change vs current opponent.

Love the Sam Cassell signing ...
But how will Mazzulla respond with Sam breathing down his neck.
Would love it if Cassell was our coach ... IDK ...
Mazzulla is wound way too tight and ignorant of change vs current opponent.

How does a signing like this not potentially undermine Mazzulla, especially with the players?

Last edited:
I'm good with the trade.

Smart's D slipped last year plus his shot selection and timeliness of them had worn thin with me.

Porz is a big man who can score, rebound, block shots and shoot 3s from the corner.

Hopefully there are enough basketballs to go around....

I'm assuming they want to keep JB?

Picking up #25 is good.

Yeah, it was a bit of a shocker, but overall a net positive.
Is Golden State's pick next year protected? They are one injury away from the lottery if Green leaves.

I'm good with the trade.

Smart's D slipped last year plus his shot selection and timeliness of them had worn thin with me.

Porz is a big man who can score, rebound, block shots and shoot 3s from the corner.

Hopefully there are enough basketballs to go around....

I'm assuming they want to keep JB?

Picking up #25 is good.
I'm glad to say that I was wrong about not seeing many changes.
I was a huge fan of Marcus Smart until this year.
I'm glad that they're keeping Brown and Tatum.

Yeah, it was a bit of a shocker, but overall a net positive.
Is Golden State's pick next year protected? They are one injury away from the lottery if Green leaves.
Yep Warriors 2024 pick is top 4 protected...i'll gladly take the 5th pick :p

I like it.

Tatum, Porzingis, and White, based on their strengths, could complement each other extremely well as they’re all solid playmakers. I think White and Tatum can benefit from the post pick n rolls from Porzingis.

Now get rid of Brown. Otherwise he’s going to clog up the court and cause the offense to stall out. Wish they could trade him for any above average passing point guard. Still hoping somehow CP3 makes his way to Boston.

A couple of things:

1. I don’t really understand the trade in terms of value. Porzingis versus Smart. Contracts aside, who is the better player? I believe it’s very obvious Porzingis. Stats aren’t everything and often don’t accurately account for defense, but…

PER
Porzingis 23.28 (18th)
Smart 12.22 (237th)

Real Plus-Minus (includes defense)
Porzingis 5.25 (20th)
Smart 0.72 (124th)

RAPTOR (includes defense)
Porzingis 8.2 (31st)
Smart 5.7 (50th)

The Celtics are getting the better player, and not only that, the rarer player. Smart is really not a true point guard and more of a shooting guard who can play point, like a zillion other players. He isn’t an exceptional passer or playmaker. Porzingis is 7’3” and shoots over 85 on free throws and is a better 3 pt shooter than Smart (or Brown.) Plus a lot more rebounds and interior defense.

The Celtics lose a really great defender, excellent leader, but in the playoffs their achilles heel has been getting torched by the likes of Butler, Curry, etc, and losing their collective minds. I love Smart as a leader and hustle guy but I don’t think he’s so great for actual tangible value. I have to think Derrick White’s overall play is a huge factor here and his minutes will increase.

So the Celtics are getting fairly good draft capital as well? Sounds crazy. I guess it must be the contracts. Smart is cheaper (20M compared to 36M) and has a three year contract.

2. I also see this trade as a major piece of the Jaylen Brown decision due next summer. Teams will struggle if they supermax two players, but it’s still going to be worth it for some teams (like Denver) and I expect most teams will see a winning formula in building around The Big 2. The Celtics will likely need to decide in a year who is getting that offer to hopefully pair with Tatum long term.

I don’t really see this is an all-in deal where they’re just going for it but looking at the long term fit for Porzingis. It will be very interesting to see…if he plays the same as last hear I suspect the fans will overwhelmingly want him over Brown.

Too early. 4 games left.
Can you tell me what happened to last year's 1st round pick Davidson?.. he was supposed to be the future PG.. never seen him in an NBA game this past season.

A couple of things:

1. I don’t really understand the trade in terms of value. Porzingis versus Smart. Contracts aside, who is the better player? I believe it’s very obvious Porzingis. Stats aren’t everything and often don’t accurately account for defense, but…

PER
Porzingis 23.28 (18th)
Smart 12.22 (237th)

Real Plus-Minus (includes defense)
Porzingis 5.25 (20th)
Smart 0.72 (124th)

RAPTOR (includes defense)
Porzingis 8.2 (31st)
Smart 5.7 (50th)

The Celtics are getting the better player, and not only that, the rarer player. Smart is really not a true point guard and more of a shooting guard who can play point, like a zillion other players. He isn’t an exceptional passer or playmaker. Porzingis is 7’3” and shoots over 85 on free throws and is a better 3 pt shooter than Smart (or Brown.) Plus a lot more rebounds and interior defense.

The Celtics lose a really great defender, excellent leader, but in the playoffs their achilles heel has been getting torched by the likes of Butler, Curry, etc, and losing their collective minds. I love Smart as a leader and hustle guy but I don’t think he’s so great for actual tangible value. I have to think Derrick White’s overall play is a huge factor here and his minutes will increase.

So the Celtics are getting fairly good draft capital as well? Sounds crazy. I guess it must be the contracts. Smart is cheaper (20M compared to 36M) and has a three year contract.

2. I also see this trade as a major piece of the Jaylen Brown decision due next summer. Teams will struggle if they supermax two players, but it’s still going to be worth it for some teams (like Denver) and I expect most teams will see a winning formula in building around The Big 2. The Celtics will likely need to decide in a year who is getting that offer to hopefully pair with Tatum long term.

I don’t really see this is an all-in deal where they’re just going for it but looking at the long term fit for Porzingis. It will be very interesting to see…if he plays the same as last hear I suspect the fans will overwhelmingly want him over Brown.
Great, great post! It's all about the salaries.. matching up the salaries for each respective player. From reports brogdan is going is likely going to need off season surgery.

This has been the knock on him his entire career. Excellent player when healthy. However porzingas I'm absolutely all In on. A big man who can defend down low, score the mid-range game.. pass.and hit the 3.

I'll miss smarts passion, his leadership his toughness on the court. His presence on defense especially..

Let me ask... what's up with JD Davison the 1st round pick from 2022? Is his in play? I still think there are more moves to be made. I'm sure Pritchard is being shopped.

I'd love for the team to retain grant Williams. We need his toughness.

Can you tell me what happened to last year's 1st round pick Davidson?.. he was supposed to be the future PG.. never seen him in an NBA game this past season.
G league, Maine and a cup of coffee with the Celtics.

G league, Maine and a cup of coffee with the Celtics.
Ok, I saw him on the bench a bunch during the season.. however the kid never got any playing time. So much for a 1st round pick..

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back