PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oddly enamored with Kyle Trask

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a big run at the top, if no one is left at 15 maybe the Pats trade back to the end round 1 and look at Rask.

Am I crazy?

Looks like a big run at the top, if no one is left at 15 maybe the Pats trade back to the end round 1 and look at Rask.

Am I crazy?
This would require a lot of liquor right after the announcement of the pick. Trask looks like 3/4 rd. Pick to me. Really liked him for the most part of the season but the game without his good weapons was real bad.

On the positive side: nobody, not even Lawrence, reads defenses as well as trask.
Trask has pro size and accuracy.

on the negative side: trask has a pop gun arm.

This would require a lot of liquor right after the announcement of the pick. Trask looks like 3/4 rd. Pick to me. Really liked him for the most part of the season but the game without his good weapons was real bad.
Isn’t that the usual approach after the Pats make a pick? In any car you are probably right.

Mac Jones & Kyle Trask as possible first round picks?? My head would explode. What are we doing?

*edit* and this is coming from a Trask fan. I mentioned him & the Pats together last year but holy gods not in the first round.
Sending the house for the Number 2 Pick after Wilson's completely nailed his throws on his pro day. Even Trevor Lawrence did leave a comment under a short video of his backside sholder throw i believe

I really, really do not like Kyle Trask. I cannot over emphasize how much I dislike him anywhere before the 6th round. I think his mental gears are the slowest I've ever seen on a supposed top 6 QB prospect. I mean, if the play doesn't go exactly as drawn up he looks like a deer in the headlights. He has really poor pocket awareness. His deep throws wobble and float. His understanding of coverages and blitzes seems basic at best. He routinely makes stupid decisions with the ball, like trying to force passes into double coverage to his primary read, completely oblivious to someone else being completely wide open. People talk about Devonta and Waddle elevating Mac Jones's game, but at least Mac hit them in stride and threw them open if they weren't open. Trask was routinely bailed out by Toney and especially Pitts making catches they had no right to make.

It's a hard, hard no from me.

Trask is a weird evaluation for me. He can move more than people think. I've seen him run the option successfully. He had great production. Capable of reading the field. Good size, seems like a decent leader, etc. What's not to like? Well, just about everything else, unfortunately.

There's something off with his ball placement. He can make pinpoint throws, but not often enough. Receivers bail him out a lot. He makes some really bad reads at times and pushes the football downfield against tight coverage when he should give up on a play and take the dump off pass. He doesn't have a cannon despite his size, and it gets him in trouble when he tries to force it.

Oh, this is a solid look. I think I'm in agreement with his ultimate assessment that Trask will be a high-end backup with some starts, but probably won't be a franchise guy. If Trask can fix a few things, I like him quite a bit for the Patriots offense, but I'm not sure he'd be my number one target going into the draft, or that I wouldn't look to upgrade him.

Trask immensely benefitted from Mullen’s offense. If he had been more mobile, he’d have been the perfect player to run it. A lot of pre-snap motion to isolate some of our best weapons (Jefferson, Pitts, Toney, etc) in one-on-one match-ups. Watch the throws he made to Jefferson in 2019 and Pitts in 2019/2020 vs some of his other big time throws. A lot of them were wide open. Pre-snap, he’s excellent at reading a defense. His biggest difficulty is making the right read when that first read is taken away and the play breaks down after the snap. Lots of examples of poor decision making, locking onto a guy, throwing into double coverage, etc. I have a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade on him. I think he’ll be fine as a career back-up who can come in and win a few games ala Fitzpatrick, but a less-than-optimal full time starter.

On the positive side: nobody, not even Lawrence, reads defenses as well as trask.

I've seen multiple people say this, but I don't know where this is coming from. Trask has a cannon. Maybe not a cannon by NFL standards, but it's at least above average for starters.

I've seen multiple people say this, but I don't know where this is coming from. Trask has a cannon. Maybe not a cannon by NFL standards, but it's at least above average for starters.

If you watch his pro day, just count the floaters,

better yet, watch josh Allen’s pro day, then watch trask’s pro day.

If you watch his pro day, just count the floaters,

better yet, watch josh Allen’s pro day, then watch trask’s pro day.
I saw floaters in the games, but they were often in situations where it wasn't a big deal (eg floating it over a defender, letting him run under it, etc). I'll take another look.

I did briefly look at Trask's pro day a little while ago, and his throws outside the numbers on outs/hooks looked great. That's usually the hardest throw aside from anything more than 40-50 yards down the field.

From a distance and not really having all the info you guys have,,just my guess,,that boy Mills from Stanford looks like possible 2 - 3 Round pick for us. Pretty certain we are not picking a QB in the First. Best wishes. Abdul

From a distance and not really having all the info you guys have,,just my guess,,that boy Mills from Stanford looks like possible 2 - 3 Round pick for us. Pretty certain we are not picking a QB in the First. Best wishes. Abdul
Unfortunately right, Trask another option in the 3-4

Am I crazy?
Listen, no one is a bigger Kyle Trask fan than me. As I stated on a different thread, I've seen basically every throw he made in college.

I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds.

My concern is that he's going to need to play. He needs reps. And for him to reach his potential, he's going to need a chance to play and make mistakes. I'm not sure this is the right environment/situation for Trask to succeed.

Yeah, I'd be careful about reading too much into that game against Oklahoma. That Florida team basically packed it in after they threw away the game against LSU and lost a heart-breaker to Alabama in the SEC Championship. He played a few other games without Kyle Pitts last year, and he looked pretty good in those games.

"Pop gun arm" is probably overstating it.

Does he have a Josh Allen/Patrick Mahomes type arm? Clearly not. But I think he's got enough of an arm to get by.

Listen, no one is a bigger Kyle Trask fan than me. As I stated on a different thread, I've seen basically every throw he made in college.

I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds.

My concern is that he's going to need to play. He needs reps. And for him to reach his potential, he's going to need a chance to play and make mistakes. I'm not sure this is the right environment/situation for Trask to succeed.

Yeah, I'd be careful about reading too much into that game against Oklahoma. That Florida team basically packed it in after they threw away the game against LSU and lost a heart-breaker to Alabama in the SEC Championship. He played a few other games without Kyle Pitts last year, and he looked pretty good in those games.

"Pop gun arm" is probably overstating it.

Does he have a Josh Allen/Patrick Mahomes type arm? Clearly not. But I think he's got enough of an arm to get by.
His throws aren’t on a frozen rope. He kind of pushes and threads the ball downfield in a way that reminds me of Brad Johnson.

I would be perfectly fine if we took mills in the second round or trask in the third round.

if the five qb’s, 4 receivers and horn are off the board by 15, I think we trade down with the Titans and pick up a second pick in the third round.

we take wr Moore of ole miss or wr toney at 22; cb stokes of Georgia; qb trask and dt shelvin in the third round; and ot brown of northern Iowa, og brown of Alabama and lb rice of Georgia.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back