PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Pete Carroll talks about SB XLIX Butler interception with Richard Sherman

This is what I assumed was the thought process anyway. They would rather have 4 shots at the TD with one of the first three being a pass, than only get 3 shots but all of them are Lynch. After running on first, you knew one of the next two plays had to be a pass for that to happen. They thought the formation was favorable on 2nd down, and I think I remember reading that no pass from the 1 yard line in the entire NFL that year (for all 32 teams) had been intercepted. I think they figured the worst case scenario was an incomplete and then you know you're running on 3rd and 4th. Butler just made an incredible play that I still can't believe he hung on to.

maxresdefault.jpg

I loved the look on Sherman's face when Butler intercepted the ball

This is what I assumed was the thought process anyway. They would rather have 4 shots at the TD with one of the first three being a pass, than only get 3 shots but all of them are Lynch. After running on first, you knew one of the next two plays had to be a pass for that to happen. They thought the formation was favorable on 2nd down, and I think I remember reading that no pass from the 1 yard line in the entire NFL that year (for all 32 teams) had been intercepted. I think they figured the worst case scenario was an incomplete and then you know you're running on 3rd and 4th. Butler just made an incredible play that I still can't believe he hung on to.
Credit to Brandon Browner for recognizing the play/receiver formation and setting Butler up in the right spot to make the play as well...

I've never seen so many bitter recriminations about the loss and the vitriol tossed at poodle Pete was staggering... They went toxic overnight and it continued for years... If they won I don't think you'd have seen that
Thanks. Somehow I missed all that. It always seemed to me like one of those teams so filled with egos and attitude that sooner or later the whole thing would have blown up. But maybe they could have held it together longer if they won.

I've never seen so many bitter recriminations about the loss and the vitriol tossed at poodle Pete was staggering... They went toxic overnight and it continued for years... If they won I don't think you'd have seen that
I believe him. I don’t think he was trying to prop up Wilson and let him make the game winning pass. I just think the play happened.

I do... Screw Sherman and the gulls after his dogging Brady with trash talk after a meaningless regular season win... who's laughing now Stanford?
Ehhh to be fair Sherman was the first one to go to Brady to congratulate him when the game was pretty much over. I think he's always been a good sport about it but yes the trash talk was annoying lol

Credit to Brandon Browner for recognizing the play/receiver formation and setting Butler up in the right spot to make the play as well...

And the coaching staff for practicing that defensive call, out of that formation, multiple times prior to the game. I think someone said they didn't stop it once in practice, so the actual game was their first success with it.

Ehhh to be fair Sherman was the first one to go to Brady to congratulate him when the game was pretty much over. I think he's always been a good sport about it but yes the trash talk was annoying lol
Ehhh... I'm a homer... Screw him, lol

And the coaching staff for practicing that defensive call, out of that formation, multiple times prior to the game. I think someone said they didn't stop it once in practice, so the actual game was their first success with it.
There's video from one of the walk thrus prior to the game showing that very thing

We've all watched that play N+1 times, and ir never gets old.

That said, looking at it now, I keep going back to the thought that it was actually a great call. Had Wilson targeted the receiver differently (more left-hip being the target) it could have been six for the 'Hawks. Or just an incomplete that stops the clock.

Still, like others have said, it took Browner recognizing it and alerting Scrap who applied all the lessons learned working one on that specific route.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back