SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

SOURCE:ESPN Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Numerous Personnel Mistakes since the off season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MrNathanDrake, Jan 5, 2020.

1. skinnydog

skinnydog Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,107
    I'd add Deebo Samuel to the list of WRs they passed on. Frankly, he looked to be the best fit for the Pats of any of them and he looks great for the 49ers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,358
    As stated above, the number of game changing TE’s can be counted on 1 hand in this league. It may not even get fixed properly next season without ponying up cash for the often injured Hunter Henry or the inconsistent Oj Howard for from TB. Neither one can block worth a damn. Maybe they can be taught, I dont know. TE’s in the draft look weak this year, couple of pass catchers but nothing worth a 1st round pick unless of course one wins the underwear olympics which is bound to happen.

No idea if Andrews is even going to play this upcoming year. Liked how Karas played down the stretch for the most part. Hope they resign Thuney but could see them not doing it.

Harry was starting to come around, looking forward to him staying healthy and getting a full offseason workout in. Would like to take a crack at another wr in next years draft. It’s very deep up until the 5th round.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Patriot Missile

Ratings:
    +7,358
    It was a perfect draft to double dip on. I’m going to suggest they hire Manxman from the draft forum to scout wr’s for them. He had AJ Brown as his first and Terry McClaurin as his 3rd round hopes. That would of been something.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 203Pat

203Pat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,191
    I agree with OP. This offseason was a disaster. The bungled attempts to bring in a TE replacement with jumping in late for Jared Cook, not drafting anyone, bringing in ASJ, then settling for 52 year old Ben Watson for 12 games with 2 other guys who have no business being a starting NFL tight end.

Then there was a draft class that aside from Winovich and a punter contributed next to nothing. Harry missed half the year then was inconsistent in the limited snaps he was given at a position we desperately needed production. A corner that no one really thought we needed that was a healthy scratch most of the year, a RB who really couldn't have done much worse than Sony did early on, was a healthy scratch basically all year. Then some offensive linemen we desperately needed at points who were too hurt to play.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vindicate

Vindicate Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,105

Not sure how we can say injuries were light. They were terrible this season. FB gets injured. Drafted FB gets injured. QB gets one of the worst play-through-it injuries a QB can get. Edleman is a walking corpse. Cannon was a walking corpse for a decent chunk of season. Wynn was injured for a long time. Harry was injured, and that was prolly the worst time for him to get an injury. Drafted O-line depth gets injured, leading to Newhouse. Sanu got injured immediately coming here. Groin injuries popped up in the secondary that were immediately taken advantage of late season. Chung was playing hampered all year. Andrews got blood clots. Karras ended up a scratch for a few games. Gostkowski was out for the season. We go through 2 kickers to Folk. He gets injured.

Injuries and lack of offensive talent literally define this season. Without those injuries you could argue that the offense would have had a few more ticks on the production meter. Andrews and Devlin alone could have helped a good deal.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  6. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380
    I agree about Harris and Sony, but I question why we passed on viable TE talent to draft a RB that never played. Also, Sony made a big run last night but ran out of bounds to avoid a hit. If he had put his head down, he could have easily picked up another 5 yards.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,900
    Part of the reason I'm not a big Sony fan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,988
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Patriot Missile

Ratings:
    +7,358
    I agree there were mistakes made but how t f would you have predicted injury or fixed the offensive line?

The LT who had no injury history throughout high school and college? Did they not predict properly that David Andrews would have a life threatening condition? A possible career ender? Maybe his absence effected Mason’s play? Maybe they should have wasted valuable cap space and had a back up center with equal skills of Andrews ready to step in? Develin going down? This was just a case of a f’d up injury riddled year when it came to the oline and it effected the offense in all phases. The outcome sucks but combined with the wr problems and the retirement of Gronkoski, not surprising.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  10. skinnydog

skinnydog Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,107
    True about game changing tight ends, but the Pats just needed a decent one. signing Cook and drafting Irv Smith would have at least made the position respectable. That was very doable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shmessy

shmessy . PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28,214
    Everyone is looking only at the players.

They lost 4 longtime, key assistant coaches in Daley, O'Shea, Flores and Shuplinski (who is rumored to be the next Miami OC).

They were replaced by 2 former players who were in their first year as coaches on any pro level, Belichick's son and Brett Bielema, who has experience, but was in his first year with the Pats.

I keep coming back to this, very unglamorous, point when reviewing how very "un-Patriot-like" their situational football was this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 4
  12. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,223
    Plenty of personnel issues to pick through, but one that’s been repeated a few times that I take issue with is the drafting of Williams, Harris, and Froholdt, because they didn’t play this year.

The Pats have done this many times before (eg, with running backs, the analogy to Harris would be White), and it works out pretty well. It’s sort of the reverse of letting guys go a year too early as opposed to a year too late, they oftentimes draft a guy a year early. The redshirting has been very effective in having a steady pipeline of players who are ready to contribute. Doesn’t excuse other mistakes, but I think that approach is sound.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  13. Give Kraft A Hand

Give Kraft A Hand Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +174
    Not his fault they didn't go to him. Also wasn't his fault the refs didn't count his TD against KC. I mean Harry honestly did his job and his performance while playing was probably #40 on a list of 50 things that killed this team.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Confused Confused x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +5,191
    One of them we drafted knowing he likely wouldn't play this year. As for Wynn I don't know what that has to do with my post. We drafted him in 2018 while I am talking about the 2019 draft.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +5,191
    I yelled at the TV twice last night. This isn't week 2 where he needs to make sure he preserves himself to make it though the year. This is the postseason. Lower your pads and gain an extra yard or two. If you're going to be a plodder then at least fight for the extra yard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,538
    Yes, it was desperation. The Pats needed WR help, and everyone in the league knew it, especially the Pats themselves. As I wrote in the other thread, think of it as the football equivalent of beer goggles. It's the end of a long night, only one girl is left, you don't want to go home alone. The problem comes the next morning when you wake up and see who you brought home with you. In this case Sanu clearly was worse than advertised. It was said that he had no speed but if nothing else at least he has good hands and could win contested catches, but he never showed any evidence of such. It seemed he was just not prepared for how quickly Brady got the ball to him, even after weeks of practice. IMO I think the Pats should cut their losses on him, despite the salary cap hit. They need to find someone better than him. Unfortunately the Pats tend to hang on to mediocre WRs longer than they should.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21,055
    Here we go :rolleyes:...the Pat's didn't lowball Humphries. Humphries already committed to Vrabel and the Titans

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Thank You x 1
    • Confused x 1
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,734
    Not sure the timeline in the OP is correct. Trading Thomas happened after they signed AB. And that was why they did it. Obviously wouldn't have done that if they knew AB was going to post pictures of an accuser's kids.

Gronkowski waiting as long as he did to announce his retirement certainly didn't help. All the good TEs were taken by then. They must not have liked any of the TEs in the draft, I guess.

They had a contingency plan at FB in Johnson. He got hurt as well. Can't have unlimited depth at every position.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,805
    And two guys retired.

20. ivanvamp

ivanvamp In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,825
    Was last year's team very good? They got their asses kicked by four non-playoff teams (Jacksonville, Detroit, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh) and also lost the crazy game to Miami. And they allowed 100 more points in 2018 than they did in 2019, while only scoring 16 more points in 2018 than 2019.

What happened was that they just got rolling in the playoffs. They got the #2 seed and a bye despite a *worse* record in 2018 than 2019. If the Pats had that this year, we'd all be gearing up for a home playoff game this coming weekend.

• Like Like x 1