PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Non-contact ACL injuries: random? / Ridiculous number of Torn ACLs this Pre-season

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Non-contact ACL injuries: random?

This injury seems to happen quite a lot. We saw it with Welker and now Edelman. It happened to Revis as well. There are some theories about playing surfaces, which may have some relevance as players often plant their foot the wrong way on a seemingly routine play.

When I look at an injury like Edelman, I wonder if there was already some weakening of the ACL or supporting ligaments prior to the major blow. I'll wager that he has taken a plant and put extra force/weight on his knee more than just this one time, and that he has played on plenty of crappy fields. As these are professional athletes who run hundreds of routes per day, I wonder if some of these non-contact ACL tears were more likely to happen than we knew. An extreme example would be RGIII, who was playing on a horrificaly vulnerable knee structure when he gruesomely blew out his ACL and other ligaments.

Anyone have any insight?

It would be interesting to see a break down of injuries per playing surface.

As for Julian, could it be that he went to cut and a cleat snagged in the field turf? Given how much force is needed for those quick cuts, any impediment to that could prove disastrous.

Ford Field has field turf, if it matters.

It would be interesting to see a break down of injuries per playing surface.

As for Julian, could it be that he went to cut and a cleat snagged in the field turf? Given how much force is needed for those quick cuts, any impediment to that could prove disastrous.

Ford Field has field turf, if it matters.
There are a number of studies showing that ACL injuries playing football are significantly higher on fieldturf fields.

I am not a doctor, but with the foot injuries, years of wear and tear, and how hard Edelman cuts I think this was an accident waiting to happen.

Unfortunate, but it's football.

Tore mine the same way Jules tore his but I went to jump cut to the basket for a layup. I didn't hop right up though, my entire knee buckled and I feel it pop/collapse. I had "sprained" the same knee 5 months earlier and was on crutches for a week.

Julian was going so hard right off the bat ( as always) - I actually thought 'Dude take it easy its only pre-season"....

Tore mine the same way Jules tore his but I went to jump cut to the basket for a layup. I didn't hop right up though, my entire knee buckled and I feel it pop/collapse. I had "sprained" the same knee 5 months earlier and was on crutches for a week.

This is quite common for men between 35-45 who play pick up off and on. My friend tore his ACL on a warm up jump shot.

If someone is cutting wood using a hand saw, which slice actually cut the wood the first or the 100th?

Ridiculous number of Torn ACLs this Pre-season

Every year there are injuries in pre-season. This year, however, there has been a ridiculous number of Torn ACLs. I was reading where even 2 long snappers put on IR because of torn ACLs.

I am a firm believer that the changes that the players insisted upon in terms of the reduced practices and the reduced time during the off-season is partially to blame for this..

Current NFL Injuries | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Players who have torn their ACL:
Edelman - Patriots
Derek Rivers - Patriots
Albert McClellan - Ravens
Cam Meredith - Bears
Ryan Tannehill - Dolphins
Dominique Easley - Rams
Forrest Lamp - Chargers
Patrick Scales - Bears - (Long snapper)
Devin Fuller - Atlanta
Tank Carder - Cleveland
Ronald Zamort - Arizona
Billy Wynn - Denver
Carson Tinker - Jacksonville - (long snapper)
Raewkwan McMillan - Miami
Bishop Sankey - Minnesota
Devin Smith - NY Jets
Bryson Keeton - NY Jets
Victor Ochi - Titans
Tavon Young - Ravens
Nico Siragusa - Ravens
George Fant - Seahawks
Trent Murphy - Redskins

At least 22 Torn ACLs so far since the start of this football season in March. There have been numerous other knee injuries including torn Patellar tendons and PCL/LCL tears..

I can't remember a time when there were this many ACL tears prior to a season starting.

like you said its the lack of offseason workouts that the players pushed for.

steroids and the focus on muscle mass is the main culprit. in the offseason and ramping up for camp they put on muscle faster than the body can adjust to. This causes muscle to outgrow tendons and ligaments, putting more stress on them and making them much easier to tear.

Unless it's just hype from his side, I have a hard time believing JE11 didn't practice or work out enough during the offseason.

Bigger,stronger and faster=Advanced Training, diet and conditioning. Nothing bionic about tendons and ligaments.

Didn't Edelman tear the same ACL a few years back, also against Houston? Or was that Welker?

I remember the Patriots being furious because it was close to the playoffs and Houston's field was absolute crap.

Didn't Edelman tear the same ACL a few years back, also against Houston? Or was that Welker?

I remember the Patriots being furious because it was close to the playoffs and Houston's field was absolute crap.

That was Welker..

Welker. His foot stuck in a seam in the turf and popped his knee

IIRC, that's when the legend of Edelman began. He had to sub for Welker against Baltimore in the playoffs I think, where the whole team gave up except for Brady, JE11 and Kevin Faulk.

But then it would still be like three more years until Jules was a real part of the offense. Amazing. Poor guy had to slum it returning punts for touchdowns and defending passes.

I think Rodney and Patrick Pass had similar injuries that just came from bad steps. Jules hung on to the ball, I think I remember Pass just wholesale dropping it.

IIRC, that's when the legend of Edelman began. He had to sub for Welker against Baltimore in the playoffs I think, where the whole team gave up except for Brady, JE11 and Kevin Faulk.

But then it would still be like three more years until Jules was a real part of the offense. Amazing. Poor guy had to slum it returning punts for touchdowns and defending passes.

I think Rodney and Patrick Pass had similar injuries that just came from bad steps. Jules hung on to the ball, I think I remember Pass just wholesale dropping it.

Patrick Pass partially tore his hamstring, not his ACL. He dropped the ball to grab his hamstring in pain. Unless you've blown a hammy while running, you can't judge his pain level. A lot of players might drop the ball after partially tearing their hamstring, Edelman included.

Did Edelman look like he was in this much pain after the play?
ppass-large.jpg

There was a fourth and 10 in that game that Edelman willed himself to a first down with one of the gutsiest receptions ever, in a game they were down 2 touchdowns at the time... Can somebody upload the video if they have it,,,?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back