PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Niners' Peterson becomes unrestricted free agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
keep Plummer away! Slow, injury prone and can't cover. I've followed him througout his carreer because my friend is a niners fan. Get's burned consistant basis.

fisticuffs said:
keep Plummer away! Slow, injury prone and can't cover. I've followed him througout his carreer because my friend is a niners fan. Get's burned consistant basis.

Thanks for the info.

A really ballsy move would be to let McGinnest go and sign Peterson to replace him.

I am NOT saying I want to do this just that you never know with Belichick. We would save $7M by letting Willie go and could sign Peterson for less than that. He's the same kind of athlete but, obviously, a lot younger.

The downside is Willie is a big time leader, Peterson has (or had, anyway) the Postons as agent and intelligence isn't supposed to be his strength.

BelichickFan said:
A really ballsy move would be to let McGinnest go and sign Peterson to replace him.

I am NOT saying I want to do this just that you never know with Belichick. We would save $7M by letting Willie go and could sign Peterson for less than that. He's the same kind of athlete but, obviously, a lot younger.

The downside is Willie is a big time leader, Peterson has (or had, anyway) the Postons as agent and intelligence isn't supposed to be his strength.

maybe ballsy, but maybe stupid too

Willie may be 6.5 years older, but he is also 6'5"/270 vs Peterson's 6'3"/235--which is a considerable size difference

No thanks on Peterson. This guy made Seymour's contract dispute seem like a polite conversation. JP is definately a talented,extremely athletic LB but I just don't think I could ever forgive the Patriots for letting Willie go for this player. McGinnist is and what this team is all about. He has restructured his contract several times{I believe it was for the sake of the team} and has been nothing but Golden for this organization the last 12 years.

The thing that has been gratifying for me the last 4 seasons is actually seeing him become a better player each year rather than see him decline like most do at his stage. He deserves our's and the organizations best and I believe he still has 1 if not 2 very solid years. He deserves to play them out if he wishes. And noone give me this is a business crap because that don't hold water for me. Not to be put down like some old horse with a broken leg.

However, I know it's not gonna happen so we are all good. I just lost it thinking about something like that happening to WG.

Flying Fungi said:
maybe ballsy, but maybe stupid too

Willie may be 6.5 years older, but he is also 6'5"/270 vs Peterson's 6'3"/235--which is a considerable size difference
Like I said, I'm not advocating it. But there is going to come a time when we have to move on and it's not often you can get a ready made replacement. It's true that Peterson is a little on the small side for our OLB but he's an explosive player who Belichick could use well.

Belichick shouldn't find any use at all for a Poston Brothers client.

Willie doesn't "deserve" anything from the Pats other than to be treated respectfully while they chop down his cap number. McGinest is a rich man and has earned his money by working hard but to suppose that the entire organization owes Mcginest anything more than respect is nonsense. Are you suggesting that we pay players according anything other than their onfield worth? That wouldn't be fair to the fans, owners, management, coaches, and it would be especially unfair to all the other players on the team who play to win but who are now handicapped in that effort because they have an overpaid teammate weakening the talent level.

McGinest isn't going to get $8+ million for 2006. If he doesn't want to renegoiate he will be cut, plain and simple.

Peterson might be a blockhead but looks pretty good on the field - if he came at $4mil/yr how could you possibly argue that it would make more sense to pay Willie more than twice that?

Last edited:
Peterson is a huge risk at this point. Coming of his Achilles injury, he was a shell of himself last year.

Now, it usually takes 2 years to fully recover from a serious injury like that, but you still don't know if he will ever regain the explosion and quickness he had.

Willie Mac, while getting old, is still very solid, a team leader and a known commodity. I also think Petersen will be looking for big money. Willie isn't going anywhere.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Willie doesn't "deserve" anything from the Pats other than to be treated respectfully while they chop down his cap number. McGinest is a rich man and has earned his money by working hard but to suppose that the entire organization owes Mcginest anything more than respect is nonsense. Are you suggesting that we pay players according anything other than their onfield worth? That wouldn't be fair to the fans, owners, management, coaches, and it would be especially unfair to all the other players on the team who play to win but who are now handicapped in that effort because they have an overpaid teammate weakening the talent level.

McGinest isn't going to get $8+ million for 2006. If he doesn't want to renegoiate he will be cut, plain and simple.

Peterson might be a blockhead but looks pretty good on the field - if he came at $4mil/yr how could you possibly argue that it would make more sense to pay Willie more than twice that?

Did he say anything about Willie's pay?

And how do you think Peterson will sign for $4 mil/yr, when last year he made over $5 million and right now he is in the prime of his career.

Well, Missile's implication seems to be that Willie stay no matter what the cost. maybe I misunderstood him...

I said, "IF" Peterson came at $4mil/yr. I used that number merely to make a point about a player's comparative value, though I doubt Peterson gets much more than that anyway.

Everyone involved, including McGinest, knows he isn't going to be paid $8.3mil for 2006. Considering BB's dismal comments about lack of a new deal with NFLPA, I think the possibility for Willie to just be cut has grown since BB is quite leery about how the future payouts will work thus making things like restructuring more difficult.

Willie55 said:
And how do you think Peterson will sign for $4 mil/yr, when last year he made over $5 million and right now he is in the prime of his career.
There's little doubt we could get him for a $4M cap hit next year. Spreading the signing bonus over 4 years it could be done easily. The annual cap hit of a long term deal can't be compared to a one year Franchise Tag.

Peterson is an extremely gifted LB but I don't know where he would fit into our system. Plus he seems to be a headache with contract situations and injury problems. Would love to have him, but the situation would have to be perfect. And that just isn't likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes