PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Caserio hired as WRs coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: To be quite honest, Mangurians experience blew right by me. (I knew about but forgot Collier). It is curious he'd be happy coaching tight ends when he's an experienced OC.
I'd be curious how much of a role Mangurian has - probably more than just the TE coach. Sort of like when Belichick came to NE in 1996 as the DB coach/Asst. HC, he had a marginal position as a position coach but had duties well beyond that. I have a feeling that Scarneccia plays a huge role in the run schemes and I bet Mangurian is quite involved in the pass schemes too.

With the brain trust of Josh and Nick as OC, QB coach and WR coach, the passing game cannot be in better shape. Their college connection and knowledge from a top football program will overwhelm the league.

You're being facetious, aren't you?

With the brain trust of Josh and Nick as OC, QB coach and WR coach, the passing game cannot be in better shape. Their college connection and knowledge from a top football program will overwhelm the league.

Some other coaches from the same small college football programs with tight (fraternity) connection who didn't do too poorly: Belichick and Mangini, Wesleyan. Mike Shanahan and Sean Payton, Eastern Illinois. Your sarcasm may be misplaced.

Last edited:
That doesn't negate what I said. Replaced Weis, Crennel, Davidson and Mangini with who? Pees was promoted.

I don't know what Weis' first job out of an impressive career has to do with it?

Of course everyone starts somewhere, but most staffs mix experience in other programs with home grown talent.

Too many yes men is not a good idea IMO.

It is impossible for me to agree with RC's thinking any more than I already do.

Offensive position coach for the New England Patriots should not be considered On-the-Job-Training.

Is BB so afraid of an outsider coming aboard, with fresh ideas, that he is gutting his offensive coaching staff, and scouting staff, to include mostly underqualified, grad-assistant-calibre hero-worshippers?

Someone with knowledge of "The System" isn't good enough. Izzo, Davis, Alexander, Mays, Spann and Mruczkowski have knowledge of "The System". So what? They all stink, too. And by the way, "The System" hasn't won a SB for 2 straight years, the longest such run in BB's tenure. Perhaps an outsider is needed to fix "The System".

If you think of Pees replacing Crennel (as Mangini was only DC for one year) and Collier replacing Mangini as DB coach, Collier outexperiences Mangini by a fair amount. And Pees certainly brings a world of experience.

Collier does not outexperience Mangina by any amount. He was a lifelong offensive assistant before taking over DBs. That inexperience shows. Just ask Pay-a-ton.

Collier does not outexperience Mangina by any amount. He was a lifelong offensive assistant before taking over DBs. That inexperience shows. Just ask Pay-a-ton.
From his bio :

"His experience on the defensive side of the ball includes a four-year stint as Miami's defensive staff assistant beginning in 1994. In that role, Collier helped to coach the Dolphins linebackers in addition to assisting with the overall football operation. In 1997, he was credited with assisting in the development of linebacker Derrick Rodgers, who earned Sports Illustrated's Defensive Rookie of the Year honors."

He's not a lifelong defensive guy but he has been on the defensive side before. And 16 years is 16 years, whatever side you're on.

BB does not hire "yes men". Mangini wasn't one, and constructive dissent is encouraged as written in Patriot Reign. These are hard core committed professionals who are ambitious to advance. Denying them that opportunity would be a symptom of poor leadership, something BB has never been accused of since taking the reins here. Caserio wants to coach, is capable of coaching, and there is every reason to believe he can succeed. The Pats are a billon dollar corporation and it helps corporate morale to know if you keep your nose to the grind stone you will be rewarded with additional responsibility and promotion. I'm very confident in this coaching staff, and feel it is hitting its stride, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. McDaniels has already gone through his youthful growing pains as a play caller, much as Holmgren did 1986-87, and Shanahan did 1992-3 with the 49ers.

Someone with knowledge of "The System" isn't good enough. Izzo, Davis, Alexander, Mays, Spann and Mruczkowski have knowledge of "The System". So what? They all stink, too. And by the way, "The System" hasn't won a SB for 2 straight years, the longest such run in BB's tenure. Perhaps an outsider is needed to fix "The System".

All that's needed to "fix the system" is a little tweeking/upgrading of on field talent, a few more (or less) breaks on the injury front, and a more proactive flu vaccination program. I can't believe how many arrogant and demanding a-holes apparently convinced themselves that we were going to win every superbowl from here on out and for whom having only won half of them simply won't suffice. :rolleyes:

All that's needed to "fix the system" is a little tweeking/upgrading of on field talent, a few more (or less) breaks on the injury front, and a more proactive flu vaccination program. I can't believe how many arrogant and demanding a-holes apparently convinced themselves that we were going to win every superbowl from here on out and for whom having only won half of them simply won't suffice. :rolleyes:
Agreed. Some of these whiners need to get over it. Being one first down from the Superbowl is a position A LOT of teams would like to be in. If we'd just had one more playmaker on offense we would've won another Superbowl, IMO. So the solution is to tweek the roster a bit and get younger on defense. Not hard, given the cap room and extra draft picks we've got.

I'd say there is very little for Pats fans to complain about.

Excellent post as usual Mo. We have a lot to be thankful for, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes