PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice little article about JC Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CW might have been that the Pats were "exposed," but they didn't really change it as much as you might have expected.

y9zfehu.png

What changed?
  • Jordan Richards and Johnson Bademosi weren't on the 2018 team.
  • They signed Jason McCourty.
  • Jonathan Jones was on IR during SB52, while Eric Rowe was on IR for SB53.
  • Chung got injured, and IIRC they moved Jones to S in response.
  • J.C. Jackson and Crossen got minutes.
Looks like a lot of change to me.

And yet no one (admittedly, not even NE) was willing to take a chance on him in the 7th. . . .
Yes that is a bit odd especially when he was not convicted. Their loss ia our gain though

“He’s a first-round talent,” University of South Carolina defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson, who recruited Jackson to Florida, told NESN.com. He can run. He’s a first-round talent. We wanted to get him here at South Carolina, but the SEC has strict rules with guys who have been arrested once they were in college. So, they wouldn’t allow him in.

Cat like quick! Just like I coach em'!!!

The CW might have been that the Pats were "exposed," but they didn't really change it as much as you might have expected.

y9zfehu.png

What changed?
  • Jordan Richards and Johnson Bademosi weren't on the 2018 team.
  • They signed Jason McCourty.
  • Jonathan Jones was on IR during SB52, while Eric Rowe was on IR for SB53.
  • Chung got injured, and IIRC they moved Jones to S in response.
  • J.C. Jackson and Crossen got minutes.
I think you're being a bit narrowminded. Yes, we had personnel, but how many of them had safe jobs? Losing Rowe hurt, but replacing Bademosi and Richards with Jackson and Crossen was clear addition by subtraction, and it was fairly obvious some replacements needed to be made in the secondary -- in other words, that we had good top personnel but that the rank and filers were suspect and had just let us down badly and there were clearly snaps worth fighting for.

Bringing it back to the main point, that's a situation where a young UDFA sees a potential chance to prove themselves and crack the middle of the roster and establish themselves as a reliable second stringer. Jackson would have been able to see that and that's why he signed here.

Now the McCourties and Harmon, are excellent, but we needed some help at cornerback. Jones is a great rank and filer but is not a CB2, and seems to thrive as a supersub DB more than a permanent starter in any one position, so the youngsters got a chance to get in the game and audition for an open role, and Jackson seems to have impressed BB and taken the CB2 role for himself for the moment.

And with that depth role filled with a competent defender, it didn't just fill a big role, but combined with Van Noy's big step forward it closed the last big hole in coverage, and the impact of not having that gap in coverage was obvious as Jackson and the defense as a whole both improved almost in tandem with each other over the second half of the season.

Bringing it back to the main point, that's a situation where a young UDFA sees a potential chance to prove themselves and crack the middle of the roster and establish themselves as a reliable second stringer. Jackson would have been able to see that and that's why he signed here.

Fair, but my point was more that it wasn't as much a complete overhaul as it was a combination of circumstance and the natural turnover. Jones vs. Rowe, for example, was mostly a matter of circumstance rather than any deliberate choices on their part. (Who knows what would have happened in their respective SBs if both were available.)

Fair, but my point was more that it wasn't as much a complete overhaul as it was a combination of circumstance and the natural turnover. Jones vs. Rowe, for example, was mostly a matter of circumstance rather than any deliberate choices on their part. (Who knows what would have happened in their respective SBs if both were available.)
Again, I think that's just a little narrowminded.

We had a situation, where there was some dead wood to cut, creating an opening that a UDFA can pay his dues and earn. When competing with players who were negative assets in a big moment the previous year, there's usually an opening you can exploit.

It was pretty clear that the Patriots had their eye on Jackson in camp, giving him first string snaps in practice almost from the outset. The Patriots were, in other words, clearly looking to rotate the lower and middle echelons of their DB corps, and if I had to guess, they either told Jackson that or he figured it out on his own. And faced with the prospect of being able to work hard and earn a place on the team, he did.

When he was green, there was a game where he he was getting some ticky tack PI called on him it happened more than once, and I noticed that each time the very next play he didn't change his style, he was still all over his man trying to dominate the matchup, a lot of defenders get timid when the stripes have their eye on them, Jackson didn't. I definitely like to see that. And yeah, he's really good in man coverage, once he broadens out his skillset he's gonna be tough to keep off the field.
IIRC that was one of the preseason games (#4?) where he got called for 3 or 4 penalties bu kept on ballin... Announcers couldn't understand why they didn't take him out but coaches obviously liked what they saw....

JC was money in the AFCCG, despite the 2 egregiously bad flags on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes