PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice article on Curtis Martin and life after football..

Actually I can have it both ways.

I can be glad when the team gets a player to sign a bargain contract but I can also understand when a player views a bargain/rip-off contract as a slap in the face.

Because I'm just a fan.

Parcells and Martin circumvented the rules.

I have no problem with a contract that the Pats wont match, but I do with a contract the Pats cannot match.

They circumvented nothing, since the rules at the time allowed for such contracts and the Jets weren't the only team to do that.

If Kraft wasn't so cheap with Martin perhaps Martin wouldn't have signed the Jets' offer sheet in the first place.

In pro football a player's first obligation should always be to himself.

Parcells dumped the Pats and was planning to do it during the team's second playoff run. He coached the SB as if he didn't care about the team, which we later found out was true.

I'll always link Martin and Parcells together and don't care much for either one of them.

Parcells dumped the Pats and was planning to do it during the team's second playoff run. He coached the SB as if he didn't care about the team, which we later found out was true.

I'll always link Martin and Parcells together and don't care much for either one of them.

2 rats and Tuna is still screwing NE.

His inside tip about Jacoby Brisset. I could put QB names in a hat and pick one blindfolded as good as him.

Wrong again and thanks for playing, you get a complimentary toaster.

PRO FOOTBALL; Jets Get Martin, but the Deal Is Under Scrutiny

Wrong again? Oh, ok cool, so Martin never went to the Jets because the contract was invalidated by the league.

Of course that's not what happened and you know it. Similar to when BB finds something exploit the league made changes to prevent poison pills but Curtis played for the Jets under that contract.

Find it difficult to get all butthurt over something that happened over 20 years ago to a very good man. Whether it is right or wrong, legal or illegal it makes no difference time heals a lot of wounds.. to be angry over him doing this only shows incredible pettiness for a Curtis who is doing some very nice things in his retirement..

Wrong again? Oh, ok cool, so Martin never went to the Jets because the contract was invalidated by the league.

At that point Martin made his choice and he did not want to play in NE anymore or he would not have conspired with Parcells to leave. The damage was done and there was no going back.

Just because Martin has turned Snowflake that does not excuse past misdeeds.

Find it difficult to get all butthurt over something that happened over 20 years ago to a very good man. Whether it is right or wrong, legal or illegal it makes no difference time heals a lot of wounds.. to be angry over him doing this only shows incredible pettiness for a Curtis who is doing some very nice things in his retirement..

It didn't happen TO him, it happened WITH him. He and Tuna conspired to get him out from under the Pats. As it turned out it eventually helped open the door for Belichick's arrival here, which in turn led to Brady becoming our QB. I don't see anything to be butthurt about. I've totally enjoyed our time without both of them.

It didn't happen TO him, it happened WITH him. He and Tuna conspired to get him out from under the Pats. As it turned out it eventually helped open the door for Belichick's arrival here, which in turn led to Brady becoming our QB. I don't see anything to be butthurt about. I've totally enjoyed our time without both of them.

You missed my point, my comments were directed at posters who continue to be all upset of what Curtis Martin did 20+ years ago.. time to move on. I appreciated Curtis Martin the player and what he is doing now, his decision to leave was about the financial aspects for him and his family, and at that time playing for what seemed to be a better team...

Of course that's not what happened and you know it. Similar to when BB finds something exploit the league made changes to prevent poison pills but Curtis played for the Jets under that contract.
And the Jets weren’t the only team to pull stunts like that. I believe the Vikings did it too (or someone did it to the Vikings — I can’t remember the direction).

Hell, the Patriots were gonna do it to the Fish to grab Welker in 2007 before they decided to take a route that eliminated any chance of league interference or a player grievance and threw in that 7th rounder and made it a trade instead of a poison pill offer sheet. But it *was* originally a poison pill offer sheet.

You missed my point, my comments were directed at posters who continue to be all upset of what Curtis Martin did 20+ years ago.. time to move on. I appreciated Curtis Martin the player and what he is doing now, his decision to leave was about the financial aspects for him and his family, and at that time playing for what seemed to be a better team...

From comments that I've herad from Martin I think he wanted to follow Parcells.

And the Jets weren’t the only team to pull stunts like that. I believe the Vikings did it too (or someone did it to the Vikings — I can’t remember the direction).

Hell, the Patriots were gonna do it to the Fish to grab Welker in 2007 before they decided to take a route that eliminated any chance of league interference or a player grievance and threw in that 7th rounder and made it a trade instead of a poison pill offer sheet. But it *was* originally a poison pill offer sheet.

My recollection of that was that the Phins put Welker at the lower tender offer (2nd round pick) and the Pats made a trade and added a 7th round draft pick to make sure they got him. If you have evidence that there was some other things at play I suggest you share them.

Great guy! Always thought he was a great player and person.

Could have been on the Mount Rushmore of running backs wirh 3 rings to go along with his stats. But...that was his decision.

My recollection of that was that the Phins put Welker at the lower tender offer (2nd round pick) and the Pats made a trade and added a 7th round draft pick to make sure they got him. If you have evidence that there was some other things at play I suggest you share them.

As I said, that's what ultimately did happen. But NE initially was planning to use a poison pill contract. I can't believe people have forgotten that. (Perhaps it's trying to bogusly convince oneself that NE is as pure as the driven snow and only those evil other teams would ever stoop to even considering a poison pill contract?)

By that point, the only question was how to finalize the process. The Patriots were prepared to sign Welker to an offer sheet that included a "poison pill" that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match. Yet in hopes of avoiding the bad blood that sometimes can accompany offer sheets - the Seahawks and Vikings recently engaged in a nasty back and forth with offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and receiver Nate Burleson exchanging teams via offer sheets - the Patriots instead called the Dolphins and proposed a trade.
How Patriots grabbed wide receiver Wes Welker from Dolphins - The Boston Globe

As I said, that's what ultimately did happen. But NE initially was planning to use a poison pill contract. I can't believe people have forgotten that. (Perhaps it's trying to bogusly convince oneself that NE is as pure as the driven snow and only those evil other teams would ever stoop to even considering a poison pill contract?)

How Patriots grabbed wide receiver Wes Welker from Dolphins - The Boston Globe
Welker has nothing to do with Martin.

The Pat's did NOT sign Welker to a poison pill contract.

Bobby Grier is not BB and even if he was there isn't a shred of proof proving that the Pat's were planning to sign Martin to such contract.

If you have proof let's see it?

The only person with a failing memory is the delusional person dreaming up the NE - Martin poison pill scenarios. Nobody is buying your version of the story.

Shifting the narrative a SJW setting the record straight that the Patriots are not up on a high pedistal isn't working either.

From comments that I've herad from Martin I think he wanted to follow Parcells.
They circumvented nothing, since the rules at the time allowed for such contracts and the Jets weren't the only team to do that.

If Kraft wasn't so cheap with Martin perhaps Martin wouldn't have signed the Jets' offer sheet in the first place.

In pro football a player's first obligation should always be to himself.
At that point Martin made his choice and he did not want to play in NE anymore or he would not have conspired with Parcells to leave. The damage was done and there was no going back.
:rolleyes:

James Orthwein hired Parcells. Thank you to both of them along with Willie McDonough who set up their initial meeting.

Tuna got his nickname right here, in 1980. He is what he is, and the Pats aren't the only team he bailed on. Bill Belichick will tell you, you gotta take the good with the bad.

Tuna doesn't bail, Kraft & Belichick might not have sat together on the flight home from New Orleans. But Parcells definitely brought Belichick here first. Not Kraft.

And it wasn't only Belichick whom he took along to the Meadowlands: Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Al Groh, Corwin Brown, Jerome Henderson and Otis My Man Smith all went down to Exit 16W in 1997.

Just like Belichick brought all the troops back up with him in 2000. The offseasons of 2000 and 2001 were spectacular; and are only matched by Chuck Fairbanks' in Pats history. Anyway, all we had to do then was get Bledsoe out of there [despite sniveling by Kraft] and just get somebody decent at QB. Of course, the kid BB decided to keep (carrying 4 QB's in '00) just happened to be the GOAT.

So I'm very thankful for Parcells' contributions here, and I totally understand his decision [but of course no way in hell he should be in the Pat's HOF before 2052, if then].

Bob Kraft, just like Billy Sullivan, has been a mixed bag, including some good, smart, brilliant decisions [buy & keep stadium lease, buy team, hire Belichick]. And, when some tremendous good fortune occurred to allow him to stay in Foxborough, he took advantage of the opportunity.

Let's also recognize Sullivan, who got us the franchise in the new AFL just in the nick of time, cobbled together a stadium despite zero support from the legislature, hired Fairbanks, kept Pat Patriot, and hired Dante Scarnecchia, who will be coaching our O-line as usual tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

:rolleyes:

James Orthwein hired Parcells. Thank you to both of them along with Willie McDonough who set up their initial meeting.

Tuna got his nickname right here, in 1980. He is what he is, and the Pats aren't the only team he bailed on. Bill Belichick will tell you, you gotta take the good with the bad.

Tuna doesn't bail, Kraft & Belichick might not have sat together on the flight home from New Orleans. But Parcells definitely brought Belichick here first. Not Kraft.

And it wasn't only Belichick whom he took along to the Meadowlands: Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Al Groh, Corwin Brown, Jerome Henderson and Otis My Man Smith all went down to Exit 16W in 1997.

Just like Belichick brought all the troops back up with him in 2000. The offseasons of 2000 and 2001 were spectacular; and are only matched by Chuck Fairbanks' in Pats history. Anyway, all we had to do then was get Bledsoe out of there [despite sniveling by Kraft] and just get somebody decent at QB. Of course, the kid BB decided to keep (carrying 4 QB's in '00) just happened to be the GOAT.

So I'm very thankful for Parcells' contributions here, and I totally understand his decision [but of course no way in hell he should be in the Pat's HOF before 2052, if then].

Bob Kraft, just like Billy Sullivan, has been a mixed bag, including some good, smart, brilliant decisions [buy & keep stadium lease, buy team, hire Belichick]. And, when some tremendous good fortune occurred to allow him to stay in Foxborough, he took advantage of the opportunity.

Let's also recognize Sullivan, who got us the franchise in the new AFL just in the nick of time, cobbled together a stadium despite zero support from the legislature, hired Fairbanks, kept Pat Patriot, and hired Dante Scarnecchia, who will be coaching our O-line as usual tomorrow in Pittsburgh.
Spot on and beautifully written.

Go Pats.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference