PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Greatest Games: NE Patriots vs St. Louis Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizwor

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I can't believe there isn't a 'game day thread' on this. Fox is showing the game right now. It is my favorite Patriots game of all time. "Tonight, a dynasty is born!" Ricky Proehl said this to the camera as the game got underway. Brilliant!

The Pats were introduced as a team. Remember those days? The other TB was the leading receiver. David Patten makes a Big Man catch in the end zone Gronk would be proud of. Antowain Smith ran for more than 5 yards per carry.

How about Ty Law? Pick six to put the Pats up 7-3.

Early in the second half it was noted that no team had ever come back from so big a deficit to win a Superbowl. 15 years later, these Patriots would overcome a 25-point deficit to beat Falcons 34-28.

So much fun. Looking forward to Coach's next act.

Would have given Smith and Law the nod over Brady as game MVP. Either in that order as a top 3 or the top 2 reversed. Then Vinatieri after that.

Last edited:
Forgot how late (4th quarter, 12min) NE was still leading by two TDs.

Little did they know, that D wasn’t full of no names at all. Full of big game players.

Wowza. 3rd and 25 w 4min left. Up by 7.

That holding that nullified the scoop 6 by T-Buck was more ticky tack than I remember it.

Would have given Smith and Law the nod over Brady as game MVP. Either in that order as a top 3 or the top 2 reversed. Then Vinatieri after that.
I think you could have nominated half of that team for MVP. (I think AV had some residual MVP stature from the Snowbowl.) When that happens, the QB gets the nod. I'd like to watch the game again to count the number of times the MVP is described as a game manager (which he was).

I think you could have nominated half of that team for MVP. (I think AV had some residual MVP stature from the Snowbowl.) When that happens, the QB gets the nod. I'd like to watch the game again to count the number of times the MVP is described as a game manager (which he was).

Good point.

Law was unbelievable... shut down the vertical game from the GSOT and could have had at least 2 more picks.

TB12 showed a lot in the last drive, but AV sealed the deal. Awesome game. Awesome team.

brady-and-bledsoe.jpg

Adam knew they were champs as soon as the ball left the tee. That was awesome.

The Rams complained about a lot of things after that game but they did have a point about the 2 seconds left on the clock after the ball went through. I’ve never seen a FG kick take 7 seconds until then.

Not that it probably would have mattered. Gronk wasn’t there to play defense anyway :p

Spygate also happened leading up to that game but it’s not what you think.

PRO FOOTBALL: NOTEBOOK; Brady Says Ankle Is Fine

Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.

Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.

Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned.

So league officials saw it - and did absolutely nothing. Huh.

We won again!!

Brady was MVP in that game because of the way he was able to close it out. Almost no time left under the highest pressure you could be in. I know you've liked to point out his 145 yards blab, blah, blah but I dont think you get it. MVP play and goat status isnt measured by stats alone but by clutch stats. That SB was a foreshadowing of things to come.

Brady was MVP in that game because of the way he was able to close it out. Almost no time left under the highest pressure you could be in. I know you've liked to point out his 145 yards blab, blah, blah but I dont think you get it. MVP play and goat status isnt measured by stats alone but by clutch stats. That SB was a foreshadowing of things to come.

I agree with the last sentence but he had something like just 85 yards passing until that last drive. He would be in my top 3 so I’m not dismissing his clutch final drive. But there were other players that day who were more dominant and contributed more to the win. It’s reasonable to think Bledsoe could have duplicated Brady’s 16-27-145 performance in that game. That wasnt dominant. But if Law is merely average or someone else the Patriots lose in a blowout. That was an MVP performance in my book.

I agree with the last sentence but he had something like just 85 yards passing until that last drive. He would be in my top 3 so I’m not dismissing his clutch final drive. But there were other players that day who were more dominant and contributed more to the win. It’s reasonable to think Bledsoe could have duplicated Brady’s 16-27-145 performance in that game. That wasnt dominant. But if Law is merely average or someone else the Patriots lose in a blowout. That was an MVP performance in my book.
It was until Brady did what he did. He closed out the 1st half with a clutch TD pass and then: "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps." Thats what it did for John Madden and that's what it did to the MVP voters.

It was until Brady did what he did. He closed out the 1st half with a clutch TD pass and then: "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps." Thats what it did for John Madden and that's what it did to the MVP voters.

Clutchness is great but when someone else is the clear best player on the field that day (Law was) then I don’t think it should mean everything when it comes to mvp. Brady had an amazing clutch drive in LIII on the one with the big throw to Gronk - and that one actually ended in a TD- but it was obvious he wasn’t MVP.

JMO. And I felt the same way Madden did.

Last edited:
You were really allowed to pound the QB then... Willie got him in the head - no call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes