PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL resurrects emergency QB rule

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The short version:
  • The third QB can only enter if the two QBs on the game-day roster are downgraded to OUT, receiving medical attention, or disqualified. Unlike the 2000s era rule, they cannot enter the game on coach's decisions.

• Moreover, the third QB must be on the 53-man roster to be designated as an emergency QB. A player elevated from the PS cannot be designated as a third QB.
In short: this doesn't help (or hurt) Cunningham's chances to make the roster, since the third QB can't be brought in for trick plays.

The short version:
  • The third QB can only enter if the two QBs on the game-day roster are downgraded to OUT, receiving medical attention, or disqualified. Unlike the 2000s era rule, they cannot enter the game on coach's decisions.

• Moreover, the third QB must be on the 53-man roster to be designated as an emergency QB. A player elevated from the PS cannot be designated as a third QB.
In short: this doesn't help (or hurt) Cunningham's chances to make the roster, since the third QB can't be brought in for trick plays.

The shorter version - Malik makes the 53 (I think it helps him as it gives him position flexibility).

i like it... good spot to stash a vet...

If they do want to use Cunningham in package plays, they could make Mac and Cunningham active and designate Zappe as the emergency option. However, Cunningham would have to become “injured” in order for Zappe to enter the game so they’d need to trust him. But I’m not sure who exactly decides that. Feels like an easy one to fudge… “Oh yeah, Mac got concussed and uhh Cunningham got a hangnail, he can’t play… Zappe’s going in.”

If they do want to use Cunningham in package plays, they could make Mac and Cunningham active and designate Zappe as the emergency option. However, Cunningham would have to become “injured” in order for Zappe to enter the game so they’d need to trust him. But I’m not sure who exactly decides that. Feels like an easy one to fudge… “Oh yeah, Mac got concussed and uhh Cunningham got a hangnail, he can’t play… Zappe’s going in.”
How many draft picks do you want the Patriots to lose?:maybenot:

So the 3rd QB can be inactive but still enter the game in case of emergency. It makes so much sense I'm surprised they did it.

IIRC, the previous version of the rule was such that if the emergency QB entered the game, the other 2 couldn't return until the 4th quarter.... so it wasn't exactly something coaches were doing on a whim....

Would have been better if that was a 54th spot but still not too bad

Easy decision, not sure why anyone would veto this.

i like it... good spot to stash a vet...
There is no increase in roster size.

The rule simply allows teams to designate a #3 QB who would not count against the active roster, and would only be available if both active QB's are injured and out for the game.

Yes, it does make it more likely that teams will have a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster.

There is no increase in roster size.

The rule simply allows teams to designate a #3 QB who would not count against the active roster, and would only be available if both active QB's are injured and out for the game.

Yes, it does make it more likely that teams will have a 3rd QB on the 53 man roster.
correct... hoyer would have been perfect for the role... dont have to waste an active roster spot on him, but he could be available in a pinch...

hmmm, we should give Colin Kapernick a call, maybe he'd be interested

Of course it helps Cunningham -- he'd be the 2nd QB for the package flexibility and Zappe would be the emergency QB. No point in Zappe being on the gameday roster now because he can enter the game if Mac gets hurt.

Of course it helps Cunningham -- he'd be the 2nd QB for the package flexibility and Zappe would be the emergency QB. No point in Zappe being on the gameday roster now because he can enter the game if Mac gets hurt.
Zappe could not enter unless both the #1 and #2 are out injured

Zappe could not enter unless both the #1 and #2 are out injured
Yeah I see now you are right that both game day QB's have to be ruled out.

Still might prefer Cunningham as the 2nd QB though (assuming he really is Lamar-lite) knowing that Zappe could come in if he was injured too.

Given Cunningham's dual threat playing style and light build he is more likely to be injured but provides much more schematic flexibility than Zappe does, so having Zappe still available if both Mac and he gets hurt helps.

Zappe as emergency QB makes more sense than as 2nd QB since all he's going to be doing is holding a clipboard if Mac's healthy while Cunningham could actually see the field.

Note: if Zappe beats out Mac to be starter, then Mac would be emergency QB in this scenario.

Zappe as emergency QB makes more sense than as 2nd QB since all he's going to be doing is holding a clipboard if Mac's healthy while Cunningham could actually see the field.
There are two as-yet-unanswerable questions:
1. How much can he contribute if Jones is in at QB? Can he be useful on, say, ST?
2. How much does BB trust Cunningham's ability to be competitive if Jones is out relative to Zappe?

There are two as-yet-unanswerable questions:
1. How much can he contribute if Jones is in at QB? Can he be useful on, say, ST?
2. How much does BB trust Cunningham's ability to be competitive if Jones is out relative to Zappe?
I agree with this. When I suggest Cunningham as QB2 over Zappe, I'm assuming he proves to be effective as a "Lamar-lite", i.e. he has the talent to lead an NFL offense in the style of Lamar. That remains to be seen.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back