PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL players and weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinator

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After reading CC's comments about CJ, I was curious how many of you think NFL players smoke weed? If you could give me a % I would appreciate it.

thx

My guess is that a majority of them do, and I think that it is ignored by the team/coaches.

Recreational as well as an incentive.....

Game's over, light em if ya got em!

as for the league, they don't give a **** that the players smash their heads until they kill themselves, but a little weed?

I'm going to spark up after work tonight in their honor....then I'm gonna drink some beers

I suspect a good percentage of them do and I think it's ridiculous that the NFL suspends them for it. Especially in Denver and Seattle where recreational weed is legal

It's ridiculous that NFL players can't smoke weed. Because of this ban the players sometimes turn to the synthetic "weed" that is proven time and time again to be unsafe and dangerous. Whereas, weed itself is completely natural and, on top of that, can be safely consumed.

In reality, consuming marijuana and getting high is no worse than getting drunk. I believe that the NFL needs to rid themselves of their archaic rules. But I highly doubt that will happen.

I really don't have a clue.

The league has a drug testing policy. In theory, if you smoke- you get caught.

My perception is that the testing of pot for players is not comprehensive and is in essence, a joke.

This except from the attached link sheds some light on how players manipulate the system.

Fmr RB Jamal Anderson says 50-60% of players use it.

Getting Around the Drug Testing

How could so many players smoke marijuana and not get caught by the NFL, which tests for it?

The collective bargain agreement states that players not in the substance-abuse program due to a violation are subject to one test for substances of abuse, including marijuana, from April 20 through Aug. 9. But to save costs, one team union official explained, much of the testing is done during training camp because all of the players are in one place.

Then a player is not tested again until the following year. The only way that would change is if someone is stupid enough to smoke near, or during, that predictable testing window.

"You know when the test is," one player said, who is also a union official. "Once you pass it, you can do as much as you want all year."

hi-res-a91e67c5dbdf580aa61abbf1e34e14bb_crop_exact.jpg

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
According to court testimony, Aaron Hernandez was a regular marijuana user during his playing days with the Patriots.

This may explain why Aaron Hernandez was able to smoke so much marijuana, according to court testimony during his murder trial

NFL Players View Pot as a Savior

I really don't have a clue.

The league has a drug testing policy. In theory, if you smoke- you get caught.

My perception is that the testing of pot for players is not comprehensive and is in essence, a joke.

This except from the attached link sheds some light on how players manipulate the system.

Fmr RB Jamal Anderson says 50-60% of players use it.

NFL Players View Pot as a Savior

From the article, emphasis mine:

Commissioner Roger Goodell has said the league would follow the science when it came to marijuana and the NFL.

"I'm not a medical expert. We will obviously follow signs. We will follow medicine and if they determine this could be a proper usage in any context, we will consider that," Goodell said in January 2014. "Our medical experts are not saying that right now."

Sure Roger, we believe you. I'll be waiting for your scientific conclusions while I'm watching the Patriots' make their first round draft pick selection this spring.

Most the people I know smoke, but it is recreational use not Ricky Williams type smokers who are willing to dedicate their lives to a sustained high above all else. So I would assume this is the way it is with players also.

I could care less if they smoke, its better for them than alcohol, which is probably about a 100 percent usage.

I'm guessing cocaine use in the NFL is probably very prevalent as well.

My work week is over at 1 pm today, hence I can start with a couple puffs and a beer in about 45 minutes.

Is it that Choco Kush Whatzis? ;)

I would guess around 70%

They did a special on this on HBO once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back