PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Investigates the Giants use of Walkie Talkies: IOW Tossing Red Herrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting claim at the end of this article:

The Giants are also under investigation for allegedly being tuned to the same channel that the Cowboys were on and were reportedly listening to each play call by Dallas before it happened. Which really raises some eyebrows as the Giants fourth quarter defense is what truly won them the game.

On their four drives in the fourth quarter, the Cowboys punted twice, fumbled once and turned the ball over on downs on their final drive. The New York Giants would then go onto beat the Cowboys 10-7 and prevent Dallas from clinching the NFC East.

I don't even care if there is proof of this. Going by "where there's smoke, there's fire" logic that we hear so often and the "more probable than not" line of thinking, the Giants definitely listened in on the Cowboys play calling. Is it a coincidence that Prescott had his worst game of the season? For some reason, the same media that completely believes the warm gatorade and stealing game plans out of locker rooms stories is being cautious and circumspect about this story.

I don't even care if there is proof of this. Going by "where there's smoke, there's fire" logic that we hear so often and the "more probable than not" line of thinking, the Giants definitely listened in on the Cowboys play calling. Is it a coincidence that Prescott had his worst game of the season? For some reason, the same media that completely believes the warm gatorade and stealing game plans out of locker rooms stories is being cautious and circumspect about this story.

I'm not sure but I thought the radio signals were encrypted. Not sure if it's possible to pick up the other team's signal with a walkie talkie.

With the standard for evidence to warrant punishment being Goody's personal belief and manufactured evidence, it's 50/50 if he actually 1) acknowledges there is an issue and 2) fines the Giants.

I have no idea what McAdoo was doing with the walkie-talkies but what I do know is the Browns got hammered over texting during games and the GM was suspended for 4 games and the team was fined $250k. Farmer was hammered and not the coach because he was the one sending the texts.

In this case, McAdoo was using a communication device when they are not allowed. That is clear-cut. With a previous ruling as a guide, he should be suspended for 4 games and the Giants fined $250k.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I thought the radio signals were encrypted. Not sure if it's possible to pick up the other team's signal with a walkie talkie.

Look at this nublet, bringing up science in an NFL controversy like it would ever get the consideration it warrants.

Depends on the encryption technology used. Some can be de-encrypted others are really,really hard.

I sure wish the NFL would give the Giants the full body cavity search that they gave NE. It won't happen, but I sure wish it would.

who was the coach that had Zolak on his headset?

Here you go. This is an interesting article that explains that incident from a technical standpoint.

The 98.5 broadcast could have entered the headset transmission before the encryption stage via an ungrounded cable which was compounded in the wet weather and in essence became an antennae allowing Tomlin to here his favorite broadcaster Zolak.

HeadsetGate Is Not a Conspiracy, and We Can Prove It

Some possible explanations
A poorly grounded audio or power cable in the wired portion of the intercom system that lives in the coaches' booth, and connects to the wireless cart on the field, acted as an antenna (anything made from metal can be an antenna), and picked up The Sports Hub radio network. The Sports Hub has its own transmitter inside Gillette stadium, so the received power levels are unusually high. The shielding on a poorly grounded cable received the Sports Hub radio wave signal, and introduced it into the audio circuit in one of many different places—we don’t know exactly where (the coaches' booth is a best guess). It is much more likely that this is the explanation if the Sports Hub broadcast inside Gillette Stadium is AM instead of FM.

The Steelers reported “intermittent” interference most likely because at the time of the game it was raining, and rain easily compounds grounding problems and makes them less predictable

Call up Exponent and ask them, "Uh...do you want it to be possible or not?"

Here comes a first round draft pick and a 4 game suspension and a million dollar fine!

Oh it isn't the Patriots? Sweep it under the rug and 10k fine and move on!

The NFL's idea of encryption is probably pig latin.

If that's true, that should be at the minimum, cameraplacementgate penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes