PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL increases roster size from 80 to 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/#!/caplannfl/status/194541197467992064

NFL announced the roster limit has been increased from 80 to 90 beginning 4 pm ET on Tues.

- The rosters can remain at 90 until the third preseason weekend, when rosters have to be at 75 players.

- The only negative with roster increase is that IR players, all reserve lists, franchise players, unsigned rookies all count against the 90-player limit.

- Team executives expected the roster increase; they were told that they would find out before the draft.

Interesting... I assume the IR clauses only apply to the 90 man roster, and not the final 53?

Interesting... I assume the IR clauses only apply to the 90 man roster, and not the final 53?

I can't imagine it applying to the 53.

This will let the Patriots sign two or three more undrafted players.

yet another example of BB being way ahead of the rest of the league. He had to know about this when he signed a bazillion tier-C free agents who each have a shot at contributing.

yet another example of BB being way ahead of the rest of the league. He had to know about this when he signed a bazillion tier-C free agents who each have a shot at contributing.

Perhaps, but it is an odd year to have no late round picks.

Last edited:
This will let the Patriots sign two or three more undrafted players.

It will also make life a bit uncomfortable for some bubble guys (more-so on other teams) at pre-season game 3. With every team having to unload 15 players; I think that is a lot more than normal potential talent going to be walking the street. So there could be a good bit of waiver wire action then with not a lot of time for the new pickups to make any kind of impression.

Could it also change the dynamic of the preseason game 4 from being a bit 'don't get anyone hurt' to more 'let's see what this kid can do'?

I'm not sure how it will all work out, but you better believe the Patriots have a plan in place to exploit this already

Doesn't this kind of flood the market with even more players after the 53 man roster is finalized with 320 more bodies ?

Not sure I am seeing the point of this if they don't increase the practice squad size. Seems like the NFL's way off allowing more players to be evaluated by coaches. So when someone goes on IR, teams have more players to choose from.

Doesn't this kind of flood the market with even more players after the 53 man roster is finalized with 320 more bodies ?

Not sure I am seeing the point of this if they don't increase the practice squad size. Seems like the NFL's way off allowing more players to be evaluated by coaches. So when someone goes on IR, teams have more players to choose from.

There's one other key change, though: EVERYONE counts now—Welker counts, even though he didn't sign his tender. Drafted rookies count, even if they don't sign their tenders. Players on IR count against the 90 as well.

Last edited:

In years past with the 80 man roster, unsigned rookie draft picks, players on IR and players on any other kind of reserve list didn't count towards the 80. They all count against the new 90 man roster so it evens out a little.

To be fair, EVERYONE knew this proposal was in the works at the most recent owners' meeting; the only surprise here is the timing, not the change itself.

To be fair, EVERYONE knew this proposal was in the works at the most recent owners' meeting; the only surprise here is the timing, not the change itself.

True, but the point was that Mad Bill is ahead of the curve.

Not because he had better info or an unfair advantage, but simply because he's smarter, more creative, ballsier, and better-looking that any of his so-called Peers!! :rocker:

Well...maybe smarter, more creative, and ballsier...:rolleyes:

I think the NFL should expand from the 53 man roster to a 60 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore