PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Good trade for the Bucs, landing Mason after the unexpected retirement of Ali Marpet. One has to wonder though how the trade is in the best interest of the team. I don't see it.

This is an epically bad start to the offseason. The Patriots are getting worse now while seemingly everyone else in the AFC is furiously trying to outdo one another. I hope there is some bigtime countering move to this Mason salary dump. A final push for Robinson??

Jesus, even the Jets signing Jordan Whitehead, that's a significant piece added to their secondary. To go along with the CB they signed... D.J. Reed.
I'd expect a few pieces to follow for us. This trade is a surprise and as I've mentioned, I am speechless now. Let's see what follows with us freeing up the cap space.

Smart move by Licht after losing both starting guards. Mason is a good RG that's familiar w/ what Brady likes. Assumes a reasonable contract ($8M apy) for cheap (5th rounder).

Pats save about $15.5M

Every time I peak my head up and check the news, the Pats have lost another big piece. Signing any splash WR or wanting to improve our promising RB game is useless if we're depleting the OL from the most consistent guys we have. Remember Onwenu was NOT good at LG, will he be better at RG? Then what's the plan?? Sherman, Cajuste and Herron? Yikes.

Good trade for the Bucs, landing Mason after the unexpected retirement of Ali Marpet. One has to wonder though how the trade is in the best interest of the team. I don't see it.

This is an epically bad start to the offseason. The Patriots are getting worse now while seemingly everyone else in the AFC is furiously trying to outdo one another. I hope there is some bigtime countering move to this Mason salary dump. A final push for Robinson??

Jesus, even the Jets signing Jordan Whitehead, that's a significant piece added to their secondary. To go along with the CB they signed... D.J. Reed.

It’s obvious why Mason was traded. He was going to get released for cap room and the Bucs came calling at the last minute and bill decided to get something for him

I guess Onwenu could be slotted into RG then !!!
Yes, a $7M RG will be replaced by a $1M RG (who is also a backup RT).

Personally, I think that team may have decided that Onwenu's future is NOT at LG and NOT at RT. He has lots of talent.

We will likely use the cap savings on an OT.

Every time I peak my head up and check the news, the Pats have lost another big piece. Signing any splash WR or wanting to improve our promising RB game is useless if we're depleting the OL from the most consistent guys we have. Remember Onwenu was NOT good at LG, will he be better at RG? Then what's the plan?? Sherman, Cajuste and Herron? Yikes.
Do you think that we have a game this Sunday? We have three starting OL's, and one OK backup (Herron). We need to make acquisitions on the OL. We have five months to do that.

Not a fan of this move, but Mason release might be more due to possibility of holdout as opposed to cap space. Bill having burnt by Gilmore just pocketed whatever draft crumbs anybody threw at him. I know it sucks, but maybe we find our guards and tackles of the future on rookie/ minimal contracts this year and go all in for 2023 and 2024.

We have always developed OL . So guess we should be able to do the same this year as well. I don't expect brown to be back unless he signs for say 3 years 24 million with 16 guaranteed and cap hit of maybe 5-6 this year.

Sign Bolden and Trent Brown...

Hoping for Trey Flowers and I'd love Miles Jack here. i can't see eith

If there's a big DT out there...

And on O, another vet lineman.

And maybe a WR candidate.
Wynn rides the pine a little too much for me shouldn't make the club from the tub. What did retired Basketball player Charles Barkley call Anthony Davis?? Street clothes Wynn is becoming synonymous with that. . :)
When Wynn got hurt in the COVID year, he was leading the team in snaps. he could have come back, but WHY?

Last year, the only OL players who had more snaps than Wynn were Andrews and Mason, and it was close. Go ahead, find a left tackle to replace him for under $11m.

You wouldn't have a hard time trading him. Agholor is a tougher sell, and given the new contracts we're seeing....

Yes, a $7M RG will be replaced by a $1M RG (who is also a backup RT).

Personally, I think that team may have decided that Onwenu's future is NOT at LG and NOT at RT. He has lots of talent.

We will likely use the cap savings on an OT.

Maybe we trade for lael collins. He’s suspended for 5 games, but he’d be a upgrade over Wynn long term. Still very young.

Not a fan of this move, but Mason release might be more due to possibility of holdout as opposed to cap space. Bill having burnt by Gilmore just pocketed whatever draft crumbs anybody threw at him. I know it sucks, but maybe we find our guards and tackles of the future on rookie/ minimal contracts this year and go all in for 2023 and 2024.

We have always developed OL . So guess we should be able to do the same this year as well. I don't expect brown to be back unless he signs for say 3 years 24 million with 16 guaranteed and cap hit of maybe 5-6 this year.
Scar’s no longer in the building though.
He might of been the best in the business.

Scar’s no longer in the building though.
He might of been the best in the business.
Have to find some positivity . I know truth hurts , but just clinging onto some straws of hope...

Do you think that we have a game this Sunday? We have three starting OL's, and one OK backup (Herron). We need to make acquisitions on the OL. We have five months to do that.
Might as well close down the forum until Week 1 then, right?

Smart move by Licht after losing both starting guards. Mason is a good RG that's familiar w/ what Brady likes. Assumes a reasonable contract ($8M apy) for cheap (5th rounder).

Pats save about $15.5M
They'll probably draft the other G with their 1st round pick or slide Aaron Stinnie into the starting lineup. I really like the Bucs bringing in Russell Gage as their third receiver too. Now they just need to re-sign Gronk and Fournette and their offense will be set (provided Godwin comes back 100% from the ACL). The Bucs defense still has holes to fill... especially their secondary.

Maybe we trade for lael collins. He’s suspended for 5 games, but he’d be a upgrade over Wynn long term. Still very young.

OT market hasn't even open yet. Trading for Collins or signing D.Williams, T.Brown would change the picture significantly..

Might as well close down the forum until Week 1 then, right?
Let's calm down. His point was let's wait until the season starts before making any assumptions. Don't start trolling. He is a good poster.

Correction : “ Dante Scarnecchia always developed OL” I don’t have anywhere near the confidence in this current coaching staff to do the same in regards to the level and Consistency in which he did regularly. iMO, losing him as a coach, has been by far the biggest loss the team has faced over the last 2 seasons, besides maybe Brady.

They'll probably draft the other G with their 1st round pick or slide Aaron Stinnie into the starting lineup. I really like the Bucs bringing in Russell Gage as their third receiver too. Now they just need to re-sign Gronk and Fournette and their offense will be set (provided Godwin comes back 100% from the ACL). The Bucs defense still has holes to fill... especially their secondary.
Please go to the Bucs forum to discuss the Bucs and their team. That's where all their fans go.

I think we'll be focusing on a cb in the 1st round. Let's not start making ridiculous comments about drafting a guard at 21.

You didn’t hear? What the team looks like 29 hours into the legal tampering period is what the team will always look like and they’ll never make any other moves ever again.

Stinnie was the Bucs guard for their Super Bowl run. He should do just fine for them.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back