PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL eliminates the 62 player roster limit

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
saw this on Florio's site... no more roster size limits for the remainder of the season... finally... this is one of the first things they should have done away with this season...

Does this mean rosters are expanded? Somewhat confused

Did they start getting the vaccine?

"In the aftermath of the creation of the 62-player rule, some raised concerns that players left at home during a road trip would be at greater risk of catching the virus in the community."

Greater risk of catching the virus at home vs. going on a plane and staying in a hotel. Did I read that right?

"In the aftermath of the creation of the 62-player rule, some raised concerns that players left at home during a road trip would be at greater risk of catching the virus in the community."

Greater risk of catching the virus at home vs. going on a plane and staying in a hotel. Did I read that right?

You could read it this way: "Players who are left at home can't be trusted to keep themselves safe, and require the structure the teams provide, because most of them had no maturation process in college and the NFL makes no significant effort to require them develop character other than punish them when they mess up."

Correct. Because a player stuck at home that week isn’t actually going to stay home. Apparently.

This is just the travel limit. Including the whole practice squad and guys on IR, some teams could bring 90+ players if they wanted to. It doesn’t affect the 53 or 48 man rosters.

Only tangentially related to the topic, but does anyone else besides me think we should keep the COVID related roster management rule changes permanently? The PS flexibility and more relaxed IR rules (functioning more as a disabled list in baseball) seem like win/win scenarios for players and teams alike. More ways to be creative and put the right team out for coaches, and more chances for unknown players to get in a game or on a practice squad.

I'm sure all of this will go away in 1 or 2 seasons but I wish the rules would stay.

saw this on Florio's site... no more roster size limits for the remainder of the season... finally... this is one of the first things they should have done away with this season...

I thought the exact same thing. I honestly thought this would've been their first move in response to CoVID.

The op is incorrect. Roster limits are not changed. The limit of how many players, including practice squad, IR, etc has been removed.

You could read it this way: "Players who are left at home can't be trusted to keep themselves safe, and require the structure the teams provide, because most of them had no maturation process in college and the NFL makes no significant effort to require them develop character other than punish them when they mess up."
Most scientific studies of human development conclude that we are pretty much who we will be for our entire lives by the time we reach 18. There are always exceptions, and there is maturation, particularly for males, but I would be pessimistic that Goodell and company (who, by the way, are entirely lacking in character) could develop it in young professional football players.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back