PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Stop, the Underwear Olympics

Tyler Starr measures in at 6'4" 250#, 32 1/2" arms, 9 1/2" hands. It will really be interesting to see how he does in the agility drills compared to Marcus Smith (6'3" 251#, 34" arms, 10" hands), Kyle Van Noy (6'3" 243#, 31 5/8# arms, 9 5/8" hands) and Christian Jones (6'3" 240#, 33 1/2" arms, 9 5/8# hands).

Agreed. Get him in camp and then decide where he and Connolly best fit at OC and OG. I'm all aboard the Bitonio train.

The way I look at it he's in the mix for our top OL pick along with Richburg, Swanson and Marcus Martin. I have them all clumped fairly closely.

It Is What It Is » Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman talks about transition to NFL and possibility of playing for Patriots
But the versatility is what really stands out about Hageman: He’s played multiple spots on the defensive line, including lining up on the nose, as well as wide against a tackle and tight end.

“I tell coaches I play zero-technique, all the way to a nine-[technique],” he said. “Just the fact that in college, Coach had me play three-technique to everything, so I’m very versatile. I’m comfortable playing anything they want me to play.

“It gives me different insight on how to be versatile and play a zero technique, all the way to a loose five [technique], opposite a tackle,’ he added. “I feel like me getting that comfortability in college, has helped me be able to do that at the next level.”

“If I’m able to play a loose five, and go one-on-one with a tackle, and just get penetration, that’s one of the things I like to do,’ Hageman said. ‘But if Coach wants me to play a zero technique, or a three, I’m definitely capable of doing that as well.”

Some more on him here:
Defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman dominates Senior Bowl practices - Baltimore Sun
Ra'Shede Hageman Bio - University of Minnesota Official Athletic Site
Ra'Shede Hageman Draft Profile - NFL.com
Ra’shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Eagles Draft Target: DT Ra'Shede Hageman | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

Tyler Starr measures in at 6'4" 250#, 32 1/2" arms, 9 1/2" hands. It will really be interesting to see how he does in the agility drills compared to Marcus Smith (6'3" 251#, 34" arms, 10" hands), Kyle Van Noy (6'3" 243#, 31 5/8# arms, 9 5/8" hands) and Christian Jones (6'3" 240#, 33 1/2" arms, 9 5/8# hands).

Still not sure about the value of a linebacker on day one or two, but I like those Christian Jones numbers a lot, especially in terms of his athleticism (Shazier was much better than I thought too). I still think Starr will be the more realistic value for the Pats but goddamn, this is a good year to have plenty of day two picks.

The way I look at it he's in the mix for our top OL pick along with Richburg, Swanson and Marcus Martin. I have them all clumped fairly closely.

I have Bitonio way ahead now. FWIW, Richburg and Swanson put up very similar numbers whilst Martin didn't test. Su'a Filo despite a poor vert, Had very good agility numbers and apparently drilled very well. I also like John Urschel on day 3. Add in Henderson and Patchan and you probably get a snapshot of the names on my Pats OL board at draft time although obviously there's more work to do.

@RapSheet: Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

He hasn't had a good day.

Bitonio had the second best broad jump (9'6") and one of the best 3cones (7.37). Along with his excellent 10 yard split and good vert., he has to be a possibility for us somewhere in that second round.

With only the short shuttle to come, Bitonio's numbers are better than Mankins (1" worse on vertical jump).

Edit: Bitonio beats Mankins by one hundredth of a second on the short shuttle: 4.44. He ticks every box.

Came here to post this but you beat me too it.

No vertical jump, but Gabe Ikard had the best three-cone and short shuttle as well as good height, weight, arm length, hand size, and broad jump. He'd make a good center project based on that.

Still not sure about the value of a linebacker on day one or two, but I like those Christian Jones numbers a lot, especially in terms of his athleticism (Shazier was much better than I thought too). I still think Starr will be the more realistic value for the Pats but goddamn, this is a good year to have plenty of day two picks.

Amen to your last bit.

I don't really want to go LB on day 1, but I'd love to get one of Smith/Jones day 2. I'd really love to get both of them, but that won't happen, so maybe Starr as a day 3 option could be realistic. I think Starr would make a good Jamie Collins understudy, and Jones/Mayo could both play either MLB or WILL in situations where you want more coverage ability and athleticism at the second level, with Hightower getting some reps at DL as well as at MLB.

I really want LBs who can excel in space and who can cover, without being complete liabilities against the run. I think there's plenty of "value" in those players in terms of upgrading the overall play of the defense.

No vertical jump, but Gabe Ikard had the best three-cone and short shuttle as well as good height, weight, arm length, hand size, and broad jump. He'd make a good center project based on that.

Ikard is also an extremely smart kid, 3 time academic All-American, who plays very intelligently. Athleticism was generally considered the weak side of his game.

Amen to your last bit.

I don't really want to go LB on day 1, but I'd love to get one of Smith/Jones day 2. I'd really love to get both of them, but that won't happen, so maybe Starr as a day 3 option could be realistic. I think Starr would make a good Jamie Collins understudy, and Jones/Mayo could both play either MLB or WILL in situations where you want more coverage ability and athleticism at the second level, with Hightower getting some reps at DL as well as at MLB.

I really want LBs who can excel in space and who can cover, without being complete liabilities against the run. I
think there's plenty of "value" in those players in terms of upgrading the overall play of the defense.

You might be right, I just don't think BB will see it that way. I, of course, could just as equally be wrong. I could see him making an exception for a freak like Jones but I'm not sure someone like Van Noy will make the cut. As for Marcus Smith, if he puts up Jamie Collins like numbers, then who knows.

Ikard is also an extremely smart kid, 3 time academic All-American, who plays very intelligently. Athleticism was generally considered the weak side of his game.

Ikard probably ends up being a another Wendell. His strength and blocking are getting some criticism. He's also Oklahoma and you know how I feel about that.

You might be right, I just don't think BB will see it that way. I, of course, could just as equally be wrong. I could see him making an exception for a freak like Jones but I'm not sure someone like Van Noy will make the cut. As for Marcus Smith, if he puts up Jamie Collins like numbers, then who knows.

I should clarify, I don't think Van Noy will "make the cut" either, and I think Ryan Shazier will go a bit too high for the Pats to look at a LB. But I think that Jones, Smith and Starr all have the kind of athleticim and versatility that should interest BB. Those are the 3 guys who really interest me the most right now.

Ikard probably ends up being a another Wendell. His strength and blocking are getting some criticism. He's also Oklahoma and you know how I feel about that.

I've felt that way myself, and Ikard hasn't been on my board. I think he'll end up being a bit better than Wendell, but he's not a game-changer at the center position, IMO.

Again only based on numbers but Ja'Wuan James, Charles Leno, and Ryan Groy also fit the bill until I can find their vertical jumps.

This is the one guy That challenges my " no WR early" theory this year:

@MatthewFairburn: LSU WR Jarvis Landry : I fear being average.

@MockingTheDraft: Jarvis Landry has a really good outlook about football. Wants to play special teams, go over the middle.

@RosterWatch: Jarvis Landry says he'd love to play corner in the NFL! Haha. Super gritty player-loves special teams, going over middle & contact.

I just think he is the receiver we all hoped Thompkins was going to be (and then some). He's this years Marvin Jones and I think he's a perfect fit for our offense.

Damn! That's another day two pick needed.

I did not expect this

@NEPD_Loyko: CJ Fiedorowicz had the top 3 cone for the TE at 7.10 Amaro 7.42

Fiedorowicz has had a very good day. Edging into late day two range for me and into Pats consideration as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Niklas had the worst 3 cone at 7.57. Rodgers did OK at 7.23. Burton did well with 7.14. I'm not sure how predictive the 3cone is for the Patriots at TE. Evidence suggests not.

Edit2: Gronkowski had a 7:18 at his pro day so maybe a little more important than I thought. Interestingly, Gronkowski was only 8/100 faster than Fiedorowicz who we already know can block and catch.

And hits women (or at least did).

He actually shoves and drags them. So he has a stiff arm and can drag defenders to get yards after the catch...

“(Leonard) was arrested in February and later pleaded nolo contendre to a misdemeanor battery count. His girlfriend told police Leonard shoved her to the ground and dragged her through an apartment by her hair and feet. The police report said the woman was missing “chunks of hair” from her head.”

That was wrong, bad humor! I actually was not aware of his off field issues till you said this and I googled it. The player we are trying to replace is a murderer so if you consider that... :)

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back