PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next best TE draft prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The upside is to realize that some really good tight ends can come from middle rounds. Kittle was a 5th round pick. His first year was good with 500 yards, but who saw that monster 1,300 yard season coming in his second year?

Pats really need to draft a good tight end more than ever considering that Gronk probably will hang em up after this year. He doesn't look like himself anymore.

Tough to see him lasting now. He looks like the real deal. Doesn't mind getting dirty. Vg burst out his stance that wins the rep but he has hands to. Good placement w strong paws. Legs don't moving. Looks to drive underneath & into the ground. Plays w good leverage.

He looks like a Kittle clone which will obviously help his stock. Used to play basketball. Looks 250 but has room for some growth. Big lower half. Humble small town kid. Typical Iowa story.

Honestly I'd love to grab both of these guys. Traditional & Flex. We haven't had a legit flex option since you know who which is a shame.

There are 4-5 guys w top 50-75 potential that can block, catch, yac etc. It's a vg class.

Speaking of TE blocking, here's Gronk from Sunday. Baldinger's narration is a bit "gushy", as always, but he makes some good points.

Gronkowski’s exceptional blocking (and we’ve talked about it recently, prior to the LA game) is probably the main reason why I think he could be battling something other than his general back issues.

If he’s still able to use his core strength with that level of success, I’m wondering if his injury isn’t in another area. If that’s the case, it could make a big difference with the “he’s definitely done” narrative. He could use the offseason to address his issue and possibly still return for 2019.

If you check the draft part of this forum there is TE discussions.

TJ Hockenson if he declares is the #1 TE this year, closely followed by Noah Fant. Both come from Iowa and both can play inline TE.

Hockenson is the better Blocker of the two, and resembles some of Gronk, not as explosive but still will make a lot of plays.

Noah Fant is a WR who plays TE, he’s an athletic freak and is a match up nightmare. He’s not as a refined blocker yet, but get him in the league and off season and he will be.

@BaconGrundleCandy
Hockenson is my binkie already. Baby Gronk.

Gronkowski’s exceptional blocking (and we’ve talked about it recently, prior to the LA game) is probably the main reason why I think he could be battling something other than his general back issues.

If he’s still able to use his core strength with that level of success, I’m wondering if his injury isn’t in another area. If that’s the case, it could make a big difference with the “he’s definitely done” narrative. He could use the offseason to address his issue and possibly still return for 2019.

What's most notable for me is how much fun Gronk is having with his blocking. He really seems to enjoy it. Can't say that about many TEs these days.

What's most notable for me is how much fun Gronk is having with his blocking. He really seems to enjoy it. Can't say that about many TEs these days.
I’m just going by personal experience and while everyone responds differently, I can tell you that limited strength and poor flexibility from pain are usually the first two symptoms of back issues, and I just don’t see that with him. Maybe he’s just that strong where he can get away with hiding his weakness, so that’s a possibility, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s not a different ailment that has lessened his burst and speed.

He has to enjoy it or Trent Brown will throw him out of the Club. :eek:

Hockensen/Fant

I’m just going by personal experience and while everyone responds differently, I can tell you that limited strength and poor flexibility from pain are usually the first two symptoms of back issues, and I just don’t see that with him. Maybe he’s just that strong where he can get away with hiding his weakness, so that’s a possibility, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s not a different ailment that has lessened his burst and speed.

Well, he's also been dealing with an ankle injury.

It should be noted, though, that Gronk caught 8 of 8 for 107 yards and a TD @Mia. And he didn't look bad at all on his one target/reception against the Chargers.

I'm not saying that the Pats have been "hiding" him and that he's suddenly going to "go off" against KCY (although I don't think that possibility should be totally ignored). But it's possible that the Pats keeping Gronk significantly involved, even as primarily a blocker, for an average of 92% of the offensive snaps/game since the week-11 BYE, may have been something of a rehab/strengthening program for him - as well as establishing him as a key part of the ground game, a brilliant strategic move, either way.

Anyway, who knows? Perhaps he'll be happier (or happy enough) in a reduced receiving role and stay for one last season in 2019 while helping to build up his replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes