PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newton vs Stidham: Who wins the QB Battle? (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the Patriots Starting QB in 2020?

• Newton

Votes: 110 73.3%
  • Stidham

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Newton will start, but Stidham will take over mid-season

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Stidham will start, but Newton will take over mid-season

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingers crossed Stidham can keep this up through camp. That would be an extremely unexpected and vast jump from where he was last year. I don't doubt that he might have the upside to play really well but even more so consistency is king.

Said it the day Cam was signed - there was no way that Bill was going to go into the season only asking Stidham to beat out Hoyer (who he already beat out last year for the #2 job) to start for the NEP. Cam is starting material and may well be the starter but is also competition for their in-house boy to go against. We've all seen Cam is hungry and he should be. If Stidham can still top him it'll be a ringing endorsement.

All that being said - I still expect Newton to play well and be the starting QB for this team this season. I think he will have a great year. But I also look forward to these types of updates on Jarrett and would not mind at all if I am wrong. (unless both players suck, I guess)

Are you serious?

Please elaborate...
Yes. For a player it’s a job. It’s your coach’s job to make sure the players effort is conducive to winning. A player really should only care about how they are earning for their family.

Yes. For a player it’s a job. It’s your coach’s job to make sure the players effort is conducive to winning. A player really should only care about how they are earning for their family.

Ultimately you won't succeed without actual passion for the game and competitiveness if you only care about money. Money alone will not be what drives someone to grind away and to keep in shape during the offseason, go through the excruciating weeks of camp and get severely beaten up every week during the season.

If that's what truly drives you then the game will lose its appeal upon the first big contract. Especially because the marginal value of your first 5 millions is much bigger than the next 5 millions (and so on). Once you get up every day in "that" house, drive to work in "that" car and can afford essentially anything you want whats the point of getting the **** beat out of you on a daily basis ?

For players like Newton who have made over 100M through their career new money has become irrelevant. It is just a proxy for respect or power but adding a couple more millions has zero impact on their daily life.

Ultimately you won't succeed without actual passion for the game and competitiveness if you only care about money. Money alone will not be what drives someone to grind away and to keep in shape during the offseason, go through the excruciating weeks of camp and get severely beaten up every week during the season.

If that's what truly drives you then the game will lose its appeal upon the first big contract. Especially because the marginal value of your first 5 millions is much bigger than the next 5 millions (and so on). Once you get up every day in "that" house, drive to work in "that" car and can afford essentially anything you want whats the point of getting the **** beat out of you on a daily basis ?

For players like Newton who have made over 100M through their career new money has become irrelevant. It is just a proxy for respect or power but adding a couple more millions has zero impact on their daily life.

Revis. One of the greatest CB’s ever and the best of his generation. He was a mercenary who went for the contract. He came here one year to repair his brand on a prove it deal and won a SB and then ran back to a Jets team he knew had no shot because they opened the bank account

Revis. One of the greatest CB’s ever and the best of his generation. He was a mercenary who went for the contract. He came here one year to repair his brand on a prove it deal and won a SB and then ran back to a Jets team he knew had no shot because they opened the bank account
I agree with your assessment of Revis. I think he’s an outlier. While there are many other examples - I’m sure - of players who care about $ the most, yet still produce at high levels, Revis is an exception IMO.

Yes. Players must try to set up their finances in such a way that they and their families are comfortable. But in the case if the stars, their salaries are almost always high. So, many of the biggest stars don’t need to maximize their earnings to « live ». Those players can often prioritize winning, if they chose, instead of getting that extra million (if they’re even close to smart w money).

Almost everyone on this site seems to put more importance on money than I do, so I don’t expect many to agree. But, money isn’t really that important. You need enough to be comfortable. Everything else is a « want ». I could have chosen a career that makes more $, but I prefer the lifestyle and happiness of my current employment. And I think many vets in the NFL, who’ve made big $, like the winning in NE (despite reports to the contrary at times).

Not sure his return to the Jets where he became overweight and a liability on the field as well as on their salary cap is the best example.

But nice anecdote.

Almost everyone on this site seems to put more importance on money than I do, so I don’t expect many to agree. But, money isn’t really that important. You need enough to be comfortable.

I agree. I don't get the obsession people have with money. Once you can live comfortably everything beyond just has diminishing returns.

I was very confused about the people who were saying Hightower is dumb for opting out instead of cashing his 8M salary for this year. The guy made over 40M in his career. How will 8M more change his life in a profound way exactly ?

Last edited:
Not sure his return to the Jets where he became overweight and a liability on the field as well as on their salary cap is the best example.

But nice anecdote.
Correct me if I’m wrong on the Revis saga...
  • Revis wants a big contract from NYJ, they say no
  • Revis holds out
  • NYJ trades him to Tampa
  • Tampa pays him big money
  • Revis immediately plays like **** and gets cut within 2 seasons
  • Revis signs with NE to “win” but also to fix his image and get paid again
  • Revis plays very well on his decent but short 1 year deal and wins a ring
  • Revis finally gets paid the big money by NYJ the next year
  • Revis promptly plays like crap again til his career ends
Revis seems more like proof in favor of your point than against it IMO

I agree. I don't get the obsession people have with money. Once you can live comfortably everything beyond just has diminishing returns.

I was very confused about the people who were saying Hightower is dumb for opting out instead of cashing his 8M salary for this year. The guy made over 40M in his career. How will 8M more change his life exactly ?
Besides, his contract just tolls. He still gets his money next year. I doubt the Pats get rid of him, but even if some other LB steps up this year and makes him replaceable next year (doubtful) he’s still young enough and good enough to get paid that amount or close to it elsewhere and for more years. He’s not a youngster but has a few good years left.

Cam has already collected $121+ million just from salary, doesn't include endorsements.

If the Patriots were to make an offer that was even remotely competitive he'd be a fool to go elsewhere.

Revis seems more like proof in favor of your point than against it IMO

Yeah maybe. I am not claiming there is some absolute natural law that states nobody is motivated by money or the power/credibility it is a proxy for. I am sure there are many of them, especially outside pro sports.

But at same time it is just difficult for me to imagine anyone going through the physical toll that is a NFL season just for money even though they are already kinda set. Maybe it is just some existentialist bias in me but there has to be more that drives that subset of players.

Now rookies and "edge of the roster" guys it is a different story obviously. But QBs -- where the conversation originated from -- specifically are usually relatively well paid even if they are backups.

Cam has already collected $121+ million just from salary, doesn't include endorsements.

If the Patriots were to make an offer that was even remotely competitive he'd be a fool to go elsewhere.
Cam Newton is in a very real position where he will have 10 years in the league as a running QB behind him. It’s very likely any 3-5 year deal next year could be the last significant contract of his career.

If someone backed up the money truck, he’d be insane not to take it.

Even worse in NE because we are spoiled for football. Cam could win two rings here and he still would be in Brady’s shadow and not become an Elway or Eli like figure that will have it made here afterwards. Brady if he retired tomorrow could move back up to Boston and there would be no shortage of endorsements and business owners looking to get in bed with a local legend like him.

Cam isn’t getting that

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye