PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

new run defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacigar

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
IDL Butler-Guy-Simon -LB Wincovich-Hightower-Copeland-Jennings db Gilmore-Jones -D Mac-Phillips (Duggar)

Ray Guy Killed A Lewis

May have killed 2 guys

IDL Butler-Guy-Simon -LB Wincovich-Hightower-Copeland-Jennings db Gilmore-Jones -D Mac-Phillips (Duggar)

I like it. Don’t forget new guy Uche.

Opposing teams will look forward to running the ball.

Simon is definitely not an IDL (except sometimes in pass rush situations maybe). Really don't want to see Copeland in our starting lineup.

Stop the pass first in 2020. Get a solid DB and get LBs that cover ground. Hope your fatties in front hold up.

What about DT Beau Allen?

Can he be another Lawrence Guy, an under utilized player who blossoms with new coaching?

His 6 year stats with Philly and TB are unimpressive although he was healthy for 90 of 96 games.

Are they stuck with Allen due to Gtd. money?

Phillips seems more a good special teams player than an elite SS ?? I don't think he's actually done much as a strong safety in his career

Opposing teams will look forward to running the ball.
I'm not impressed with the d-line,(as of this moment) I think its a weak area, especially at defensive tackle.

Assuming health...

Beau Allen and Lawrence Guy are your starting DT's with Adam Butler being moved all around the place on passing downs.

Some combination of Brandon Copeland, Deatrich Wise, Nick Coe and Byron Cowart will rotate in at defensive end.

Donta Hightower, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Chase Winovich, John Simon, Anfernee Jennings, Josh Uche and possibly Kyahva Tezino or De’Jon Scoota Harris will rotate all over the place at Linebacker. If Derek Rivers or Shalique Calhoun could stay healthy I'd add them to this mix, but they never do.

Is this “threads in Italian” day ?

“Get offa de fence”

The base defense is 5 dbs 2 DTs and 4 players that can be considered any and/or all of LB, DE,EDGE,Olb,ilb and he will mix and match them in most any combination.
I would put their playing time loosely in the following order, with rookies having an opportunity to move up (with a guess at % of snaps)

Hightower (90)
Winovich. (75)
Bentley. (65)
Simon. (50)
Uche. (40)
(Butler/cowart/wise) when we want to be bigger (25 combined)
Copeland. (25)
Jennings (20)
Calhoun. (10)
Rivers 0

I'm not impressed with the d-line,(as of this moment) I think its a weak area, especially at defensive tackle.
Agreed. Teams could essentially just do what the Ravens and Titans did to the team last season.

Wait...isn't the OP the one who was, "Onto 2021"???

Assuming health...

Beau Allen and Lawrence Guy are your starting DT's with Adam Butler being moved all around the place on passing downs.

Some combination of Brandon Copeland, Deatrich Wise, Nick Coe and Byron Cowart will rotate in at defensive end.

Donta Hightower, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Chase Winovich, John Simon, Anfernee Jennings, Josh Uche and possibly Kyahva Tezino or De’Jon Scoota Harris will rotate all over the place at Linebacker. If Derek Rivers or Shalique Calhoun could stay healthy I'd add them to this mix, but they never do.
sounds pretty weak for me at DE and DT. Hope we can adress this next year with Draft or FA..

sounds pretty weak for me at DE and DT. Hope we can adress this next year with Draft or FA..
It's basically the same DT's from last year with Beau Allen swapped for Danny Shelton.

They needed another NT from the midpoint of last season on when they encountered better O-Lines and teams with great TE groups.

They could sign another vet run stuffing DT, a bunch are usually sitting out there until midseason. Or they could potentially use Onwenu as a two way player at Nose Tackle/Guard and be fine, assuming health and competency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results