PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New NFL TV/Streaming Rights Deal

I hate funding Jeff Bezos' frivolous delaying action lawsuits against SpaceX with my Amazon subscription
/off topic

All I have to say is f DirecTV. Those guys will never give up Sunday Ticket, but won't stream Sunday Ticket themselves. I would pay for the DirecTV streaming app for the football season if they offered Sunday Ticket on it, but they only offer it on their satellite service (which in fairness, may have a lot to do with the NFL too). And I will never do the dish again.

DirecTV knows if they lose the Sunday Ticket, their business model is down the tubes. And they also probably figure once Sunday Ticket goes streaming, their satellite business is over and not more equipment sales and higher package prices since you can stream all the premium channels already through their own apps.

All I have to say is f DirecTV. Those guys will never give up Sunday Ticket, but won't stream Sunday Ticket themselves. I would pay for the DirecTV streaming app for the football season if they offered Sunday Ticket on it, but they only offer it on their satellite service (which in fairness, may have a lot to do with the NFL too). And I will never do the dish again.

DirecTV knows if they lose the Sunday Ticket, their business model is down the tubes. And they also probably figure once Sunday Ticket goes streaming, their satellite business is over and not more equipment sales and higher package prices since you can stream all the premium channels already through their own apps.
Not a fan of DTV either but if I can stream the Pats game here at the house rather than venturing out then I am in. Gone are the days of spending 9-hours in a bar watching the NFL. Having the game here without having to sign up for DTV would be perfect.

The word you are looking for is "extortion".

Not a fan of DTV either but if I can stream the Pats game here at the house rather than venturing out then I am in. Gone are the days of spending 9-hours in a bar watching the NFL. Having the game here without having to sign up for DTV would be perfect.

DTV offers everything on their streaming service other than Sunday Ticket. According to the NFL they have exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, but I am not sure if that includes streaming. So I am not 100% who is at fault.

But they do use Sunday Ticket to lure new dish customers. So I assume they are at fault.

Last edited:
Here is the link. Some folks might be eligible. Apartment/Condo dwellers. College dorm students. People with a tree blocking the satellite signal. Also some folks in certain cities?

The NFL announced new deals which will impact how we all watch games. Points of note:

1) TNF is going exclusively to Amazon. If you want to watch those games, you have to stream them - which f'ing sucks since streaming is a good couple minutes behind live. If you follow a game online, you will see what happened a good minute or two before watching it. This will especially suck if watching in a public place (except at the game itself).

2) Monday is now eligible to have games flexed in/out. This is a major change since flexing never involved changing the day a game was played (except for the late season Saturday games, but I don't really consider those a "flex")

3) ABC/ESPN will be getting a couple Super Bowls. While I have no doubt those would be broadcast on ABC, it is unclear if ESPN would have a simulcast. It also states ABC will have a couple "exclusive" games but is not clear what those mean.

4) The NFLN will continue to have exclusive games. The only timeslots I can imagine such things are on Saturdays late in the season.

5) No word on what is going to happen to the Sunday Ticket package.

6) Pretty much all of the above will also be available to stream on the corresponding streaming package of whatever network is doing the broadcasting. Unclear in the NFL app or Verizon will maintain any streaming.

NFL COMPLETES LONG-TERM MEDIA DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENTS PROVIDING FANS GREATER ACCESS TO NFL GAMES THAN EVER BEFORE (nflcommunications.com)
Does Amazon archive the games so you can watch them later?

Here is the link. Some folks might be eligible. Apartment/Condo dwellers. College dorm students. People with a tree blocking the satellite signal. Also some folks in certain cities?
Interesting, I was a DTV customer for almost 20 years. Customer service was exceptional for most of it. Really started going down hill once AT&T bought it. What really sucked was the hole "lease" model. I would be fine with paying a monthly rental fee for the equipment or buying it. But was not ok with paying a few hundred dollars plus a rental fee. Woman compared it to leasing a car once. I was dumbfounded.

Anyway pure streaming now and did the VPN + Gamepass international. I was surprised to see that my address qualified for the Sunday Ticket streaming. I may just do that.

Question for those that have it are you limited to just one device at a time?

Interesting, I was a DTV customer for almost 20 years. Customer service was exceptional for most of it. Really started going down hill once AT&T bought it. What really sucked was the hole "lease" model. I would be fine with paying a monthly rental fee for the equipment or buying it. But was not ok with paying a few hundred dollars plus a rental fee. Woman compared it to leasing a car once. I was dumbfounded.

Anyway pure streaming now and did the VPN + Gamepass international. I was surprised to see that my address qualified for the Sunday Ticket streaming. I may just do that.

Question for those that have it are you limited to just one device at a time?
YES Just one device at a time. Fine for me but might not work for others.

Not streaming games unless they make it easy and free. Need Amazon Prime? $100/year for (1) game? Does everyone pay for Amazon Prime now? Are we all addicted to 2-day shipping and TV shows now?

Now? Been using it for over a decade at least.

FYI, I already subscribe to IPvanish was going to purchase Gamepass International in the UK but then saw the blackout notice for UK/Ireland. I remembered from a few years ago it doesn't matter in which country you purchase GP International (as long as it is outside the USA) you can bounce to any country and watch. Different countries have different prices. The cheapest I found was Brazil $99 for the year. Just FYI.

A few years ago when I had it. I used the private NFL channel on Plex and I was able to feed six TV's six different games simultaneously. Last I heard the channel wasn't working but there is a decent chance their is an authorized NFL plex channel that Plex will handle in the same way.

I heard the the rights deal for the Sunday ticket package is ending soon, possibly next year, does anyone know if this is true? And the likelihood that Direct TV re-buys it?

I heard the the rights deal for the Sunday ticket package is ending soon, possibly next year, does anyone know if this is true? And the likelihood that Direct TV re-buys it?

Directv has exclusive Sunday Ticket for this season and next season. So you're likely looking at a new Sunday Ticket provider for the 2023 season. Media analysts are saying Directv won't have the cash flow to compete with potential offers from Amazon or Apple.

I've been following this closely as I've been a Directv subscriber for 15+ years. But I have no problem giving up the dish if/when Ticket moves to streaming.

On a side note, I've been very happy with Directv. If you know how to play the retentions game with customer service, you can get huge monthly discounts and free Sunday Ticket. I've only paid for Ticket once in the past 5 seasons.

On a side note, I've been very happy with Directv. If you know how to play the retentions game with customer service, you can get huge monthly discounts and free Sunday Ticket. I've only paid for Ticket once in the past 5 seasons.
In other words, you're happy because you've out-extorted the extortionist.

What a world we live in.

It'd be nice if NFL could find a way to offer a good product at a fair price, but that might be leaving money on the table, so we're going to keep doing things the NFL way.

I have visions of overpaid corporate types sitting in meeting rooms figuring out exactly how to stick it to as many people as possible.

What a world we live in.

In other words, you're happy because you've out-extorted the extortionist.

What a world we live in.

It'd be nice if NFL could find a way to offer a good product at a fair price, but that might be leaving money on the table, so we're going to keep doing things the NFL way.

I have visions of overpaid corporate types sitting in meeting rooms figuring out exactly how to stick it to as many people as possible.

What a world we live in.
How else would Kraft pay millions to his attorneys to beat a misdemeanor charge.

Dofu Sports app streams every game for free. After moving out of NH Last year I watched every Pats game on it from NC. I just airplay to my TV, works great 90% of the time, occasionally need to select a new stream but never had a game not available.
I use IOS but assume it’s Android app also.

How else would Kraft pay millions to his attorneys to beat a misdemeanor charge.
He was already rich when he bought the Pats. If the rub-and-tug scandal happen in the early 90's he'd still have enough money for high powered lawyers to get him out of a misdemeanor charge.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back