PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New FieldTurf Surface Installed at Gillette Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
According to Twitter, a new playing surface was installed at Gillette Stadium over the past couple of weeks and will make it's debut this weekend during a Revolution home game. Supposed to be "State of the Art" stuff.

Still don't understand how Lambeau Field can have grass, while Gillette needs to go with the fake stuff, but whatever...

C_aEeTVUwAAbPHO.jpg:large

State of the art equals a invisible substance that tires and weakens the opposing team.
I see it now Harbaugh Flacco played great all year then when he stepped on that turf he immediately began chucking the ball into double coverage and failing to look for his third and fourth reads.
It's more probable then not that a secret substance is in there they can't be tested or identified therefore the Patriots will start with 4 automatic losses a season and not allowed to draft nor sign there or other free agents til after May.

According to Twitter, a new playing surface was installed at Gillette Stadium over the past couple of weeks and will make it's debut this weekend during a Revolution home game. Supposed to be "State of the Art" stuff.

Still don't understand how Lambeau Field can have grass, while Gillette needs to go with the fake stuff, but whatever...

Gillette had grass until 2006 when it was torn up and replaced with turf after a Jets game when the Pats couldn't get any footing on the muddy field.

Gillette had grass until 2006 when it was torn up and replaced with turf after a Jets game when the Pats couldn't get any footing on the muddy field.

That game was horrible to watch...you almost knew they were gonna change it over the bye week, and then they actually did it.

How many times have we lost to the Jets at home since?

The stadium sucks. Not loud, not enough bathrooms and to top it off they built it so it would not get enough sun for natural grass. Happy that they spend millions ever other year on the fake stuff though.

I remember that game, too.

So, how come nothing like that ever happens on the grass field at Lambeau?

That game was horrible to watch...you almost knew they were gonna change it over the bye week, and then they actually did it.

Well, there was that one playoff game.... still too soon?

I remember that game, too.

So, how come nothing like that ever happens on the grass field at Lambeau?

Because its not fully natural. They grow grass in between a weave of synthetic fibers. They also have a lighting system that emulates sunlight for the winter months when the field barely see's the sun.

Green Bay Packers - Five Desso GrassMaster pitches for training and competition | Desso Sports Systems

http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-lambeau-field-keeps-its-grass-green-in-the-d-1442008641

The Pat's loved the mud before 2005. It gave the slower defense an edge against runners like Edgerrin James coming out of the backfield as a receiver. BB used tell the grounds keeper not to touch the field after September...just let it turn into a mud fest. At that time they never tried to put sod down between the hash marks. They wanted a slow track to slow the Colts down.

After they signed Colvin and others they instantly got faster in defense. This was when they determined an artificial surface would now let them exploit their newly acquired defensive speed and also let guys like Faulk make better cuts.

Screw real turf. I've seen enough of that in places like Houston where Welker tore his knee up without contact. Synthetic field turf suits me fine. I don't want Green Effing Bay to be a model for anything the Patriots do. Everything about that franchise is wildly overrated.

The real grass at Gillete was a disaster. For what ever reason the grass turned to mud, it just never took it was always a mess. It had to be one of the worst turfs in the NFL.

I remember that game, I also remember everyone always telling us that Bill wanted the grass as poorly as possible. I am not sure if that was true but Bill praised the grounds keeper as they removed the real grass and installed the fake stuff in 2 weeks time. 24-7 shifts.

Whats this new field made of coconut shavings?

Why do they do this so often? This is the 3rd time I recall them installing new turf since 06. I thought a big draw of this stuff was it would last for decades?

• Agree
Reactions: ALP

This will be the 3rd turf install ...
I am a season ticket holder and will be at the Rev's game Saturday ... so I'll see how many slip or not on it.

Screw real turf. I've seen enough of that in places like Houston where Welker tore his knee up without contact. Synthetic field turf suits me fine. I don't want Green Effing Bay to be a model for anything the Patriots do. Everything about that franchise is wildly overrated.

Your point would have merit had you used another stadium instead of Houston. NRG Stadium used trays that they grew outside and then patched them up together. That's totally f*cked up that the NYJFL* even allowed them to do that in the first place. Too bad they couldn't come up with the Cardinals stadium idea. That works brilliantly.

This will be the 3rd turf install ...
I am a season ticket holder and will be at the Rev's game Saturday ... so I'll see how many slip or not on it.
We expect a full report;)

The stadium sucks. Not loud, not enough bathrooms and to top it off they built it so it would not get enough sun for natural grass. Happy that they spend millions ever other year on the fake stuff though.

Different strokes for different folks... Glad the ownership is spending millions of dollars to try to make things better. It could just be that the product has gotten better over the years, or there was some problem with the earlier product, etc.

I know some folks here want to go back to the days of broke-ass Billy Sullivan owning the joint and miss the aluminum seat with puddles of Shaefer beer everywhere and parking in the mud, but I'm not one of them.

Different strokes for different folks... Glad the ownership is spending millions of dollars to try to make things better. It could just be that the product has gotten better over the years, or there was some problem with the earlier product, etc.

I know some folks here want to go back to the days of broke-ass Billy Sullivan owning the joint and miss the aluminum seat with puddles of Shaefer beer everywhere and parking in the mud, but I'm not one of them.
Reading my mind...

A little while ago, I read about some studies that were done to correlate playing on field turf to higher incidences of cancer. You have to wonder if the Patriots aren't doing frequent changes like this as a preemptive measure in case these studies are onto something.

New turf might shed less than old turf. And if the Patriots have the money, they should be able to use virgin rubber chips made specifically for their field as opposed to using ground-up used car tires like the rest of the world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back