PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Never Had Serious Interest in Julio Jones? Not a Surprise

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
"Jones was traded to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday for a 2022 second-round pick and a 2023 fourth-round pick for Jones, while Tennessee sent a 2023 sixth-round pick to Atlanta along with Jones."

Atlanta sent the 2023 6th-rounder to the Titties...Your editor needs to do a better job of, you know, editing...

"After posting six straight 1,000-yard seasons, he caught only 51 catches for 771 yards and three touchdowns last year, being slowed by a hamstring injury."

You do realize that he played in only 9 games last season, right? Or did you purposely omit that?

"They invested in a couple of wide receivers, who were criticized by much of the Twitterati but remember, Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne weren’t afterthoughts but were targeted by the team very early in FA."

And were grotesquely over-paid in the process.

"How many previously very productive wide receivers came to New England later in their careers and struggled? And at 32, Jones fits right into that category."

You're not seriously comparing Jones to the putrescence of Mo' Snuze, Ochostinko, Galloway etc, are you?

"As the devoted followers of the 2-6 spot will scream today, “But…but…but Bill gave up a 2nd rounder for Mohamad Sanu for Gawd sakes!” This will be followed by the inevitable “Bill dropped the ball in getting the Patriots a deep threat…we need more weaponz!”

Don't ****ing patronize us; it should be beneath you...That's Matt Chatham garbage.

The amazing thing is all the jack offs on Twitter and on here with “sources”, who swore they heard for sure the Pats were landing Jones. They really are missing something in their lives that they have to pretty much beg for attention with their lies. I feel bad for them.

The amazing thing is all the jack offs on Twitter and on here with “sources”, who swore they heard for sure the Pats were landing Jones. They really are missing something in their lives that they have to pretty much beg for attention with their lies. I feel bad for them.
It seems some people get off on being seen as "in the know" or having some sort of inside sources. So they take rumors, announce they have inside information which confirms the rumors are going to happen, then hope they get lucky.

At least that's what my people inside the Patriots organization tell me....

"Jones was traded to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday for a 2022 second-round pick and a 2023 fourth-round pick for Jones, while Tennessee sent a 2023 sixth-round pick to Atlanta along with Jones."

Atlanta sent the 2023 6th-rounder to the Titties...Your editor needs to do a better job of, you know, editing...

"After posting six straight 1,000-yard seasons, he caught only 51 catches for 771 yards and three touchdowns last year, being slowed by a hamstring injury."

You do realize that he played in only 9 games last season, right? Or did you purposely omit that?

"They invested in a couple of wide receivers, who were criticized by much of the Twitterati but remember, Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne weren’t afterthoughts but were targeted by the team very early in FA."

"How many previously very productive wide receivers came to New England later in their careers and struggled? And at 32, Jones fits right into that category."

You're not seriously comparing Jones to the putrescence of Mo' Snuze, Ochostinko, Galloway etc, are you?

"As the devoted followers of the 2-6 spot will scream today, “But…but…but Bill gave up a 2nd rounder for Mohamad Sanu for Gawd sakes!” This will be followed by the inevitable “Bill dropped the ball in getting the Patriots a deep threat…we need more weaponz!”

Don't ****ing patronize us; it should be beneath you...That's Matt Chatham garbage.
In my mind the REAL reason the Pats weren't that interested in Jones was a simple one. MONEY. When it started to be reported that Jone had no interest in being flexible with his current contract and fully expected to see it elevated to top 3 WR money down the road,. the Pats bowed out.

Like I said earlier, Jones would have been a luxury signing. A nice addition, but it had to be at the right price. Didn't we all think when it first came out that Jones was on the market that the right price was a 3rd or 4th with Atlanta paying some part of the 13MM and we'd sent Harry in return. Well in the end a team offered a lot more than that. The titans are paying the full tab and gave them 2 plus and 2 round up grade in 23. While it doesn't seem like a lot for the guy who has been hands down the best WR in the game for the past decade. But 32 has been the age where even the best WR's start to become more ordinary.

The other factor is that historically Julio doesn't practice much during the week and Bill likes his players to practice. (just threw that out there)

In my mind the REAL reason the Pats weren't that interested in Jones was a simple one. MONEY. When it started to be reported that Jone had no interest in being flexible with his current contract and fully expected to see it elevated to top 3 WR money down the road,. the Pats bowed out.

Like I said earlier, Jones would have been a luxury signing. A nice addition, but it had to be at the right price. Didn't we all think when it first came out that Jones was on the market that the right price was a 3rd or 4th with Atlanta paying some part of the 13MM and we'd sent Harry in return. Well in the end a team offered a lot more than that. The titans are paying the full tab and gave them 2 plus and 2 round up grade in 23. While it doesn't seem like a lot for the guy who has been hands down the best WR in the game for the past decade. But 32 has been the age where even the best WR's start to become more ordinary.

The other factor is that historically Julio doesn't practice much during the week and Bill likes his players to practice. (just threw that out there)

Furthermore, I wonder how much interest Julio had in signing here. Now, I do think we could be pretty competitive this year. But there's also a probability that we aren't, and for someone on a prove-it year, I doubt wanted to take that gamble, especially with a team that just signed two big TE's and has a stable of RB's. That could split the targets up too much.

Yeah, it seemed that Bill came to the same basic mindset as those of us who proposed a best offer of a conditional 3rd-rounder with player- & team-incentives to make it a 2nd-rounder, plus salary relief of $3-5M on the first year...Atlanta received the offer of a solid 2nd plus ass-umption of all of Jones' contract from the Titties and naturally they took it...don't blame them, but I also don't blame Bill from exceeding that offer either...

Had the Fail-cons made Jones available before the start of free agency, I wonder what if any difference that would've made in the bidding process...and in the subsequent WR market when the free agency period began...

To summarize: in hindsight, I have some really strong thoughts about Julio Jones and Bill Belichick agrees with me.

The was no "we".

90 percent of the board thought over-paying #1 WR money to a guy with past glories was not applicable for team that was going 2 TE based offense.

A few scattered dummies thought otherwise.

Read this thread and look at everyone of them trying to spin in hindsight.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back