PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots 2021 Training Camp Primer – Offensive Line

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots 2021 Training Camp Primer – Offensive Line
Steve Balestrieri
With the team expected to lean on their running game, the offensive line makes running 12, and 22 personnel something we’ll see quite a bit.

The post Patriots 2021 Training Camp Primer – Offensive Line appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

This OL isn't nearly as solid as most folks here seem to believe...The OT situation is iffy, and there is ZERO quality depth after Karras...Z.E.R.O...

"...The depth is so great that the team lost one of the best guards in the NFL in Joe Thuney in free agency...and they probably won’t miss a beat..."

Wrong.

Justin Herron's no "lock" either...He was good in the KC game, and not good in every other one...Tennessee's Trey Smith should've been the pick at 197, Not Billy Sherman...And Thanksdad Ferentz absolutely ****ing Sucks. Period.

This OL isn't nearly as solid as most folks here seem to believe...The OT situation is iffy, and there is ZERO quality depth after Karras...Z.E.R.O...

"...The depth is so great that the team lost one of the best guards in the NFL in Joe Thuney in free agency...and they probably won’t miss a beat..."

Wrong.

Justin Herron's no "lock" either...He was good in the KC game, and not good in every other one...Tennessee's Trey Smith should've been the pick at 197, Not Billy Sherman...And Thanksdad Ferentz absolutely ****ing Sucks. Period.
Some believe that having 6 solid starters on the OL gives you a solid OL. Others require 8 starters.

Some believe that having 6 solid starters on the OL gives you a solid OL. Others require 8 starters.

And still others would like their #7-8-9 linemen not to be useless trash.

Wrong.

Don't agree Captain. Herron was a rook last year and played well...he's a solid backup at G and T. Karras is a solid backup at C and G. IMO Cunningham is serviceable and Martin or Sherman will round out the 53. This is not a bad situation...not at all. You can't have all starters on the 53...just don't have the $ for it. I think the OL is top 10 with the backups.

And still others would like their #7-8-9 linemen not to be useless trash.
I am one of those people.

If Cajuste,, Herron, Cunningham, Sherman, Redmond, Ferentz and the rest are thought to be useless, then the team will sign new backups. It is my expectation that 1-2 OL's will be added before Game 2.

I suspect that we'll keep 8 on the 53, and 3 more on the Practice Squad. I would all 8 to be active.

If Cajuste,, Herron, Cunningham, Sherman, Redmond, Ferentz and the rest are thought to be useless, then the team will sign new backups.

I'd like to think so, but Thanksdad keeps showing up...

It is my expectation that 1-2 OL's will be added before Game 2.

It's my hope that this happens, but I'm tempering my expectations that it does.

I suspect that we'll keep 8 on the 53, and 3 more on the Practice Squad. I would all 8 to be active.

Usually only 7 are active, but I also prefer 8 to be active.

I'd like to think so, but Thanksdad keeps showing up...

It's my hope that this happens, but I'm tempering my expectations that it does.

Usually only 7 are active, but I also prefer 8 to be active.
Under the 2020 rules, I believe that an 8th OL doesn't count against the normal active limit. So, I expect 8.

Yes, I understand your issue with Belichick finding Ferentz as acceptable as the last interior OL.

Under the 2020 rules, I believe that an 8th OL doesn't count against the normal active limit. So, I expect 8.

Yes, I understand your issue with Belichick finding Ferentz as acceptable as the last interior OL.
I left out Martin. Perhaps, he is our 7th OL over Ferentz. He could be an OK backup. He would only play if there are two injuries.

Don't agree Captain. Herron was a rook last year and played well...he's a solid backup at G and T. Karras is a solid backup at C and G. IMO Cunningham is serviceable and Martin or Sherman will round out the 53. This is not a bad situation...not at all. You can't have all starters on the 53...just don't have the $ for it. I think the OL is top 10 with the backups.
I agree on Herron. He should be OK as the 4th OT. He played a lot last year, and should be improved in Year 2. Of course, he is no lock. However, as of now, I would think that he is a heavy favorite to make the 53.

I left out Martin. Perhaps, he is our 7th OL over Ferentz. He could be an OK backup. He would only play if there are two injuries.

Yep, Martin >>> Thanksdad.

They don't need to draft OT. Defense the first 3 picks. They have under-utilized players, Trent Brown to LT and Michael Onwenu to RT.

I'd like to see a tackle and an interior OL taken in the draft to push or beat out some roster malingerers. I also think Brown is gone and Wynn dented his head on his ceiling years ago.

I'd like to see a tackle and an interior OL taken in the draft to push or beat out some roster malingerers. I also think Brown is gone and Wynn dented his head on his ceiling years ago.

What round would you select a tackle and interior OL in? What other positions do not get picked so we can pick 2 OL? Not including the 6th and 7th rounds, we only have 4 selections I think. Talking about part of the draft without a complete picture can be misleading.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back