PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, NT Tyler Shelvin, LSU

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, NT Tyler Shelvin, LSU
Steve Balestrieri
Shelvin dominates single blocking and has the strong anchor to absorb double teams at the point of attack, allowing the linebackers to clean up and make plays.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

What's the most valuable position in the front seven? I'd say it's the NT.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

A 3 down Defensive End like R Seymour. Just like the most valuable position on the OLine is the left and right tackles. Positions mirror each other and require the most athleticism.

A 3 down Defensive End like R Seymour. Just like the most valuable position on the OLine is the left and right tackles. Positions mirror each other and require the most athleticism.

Good point.

Would you rather have Wilfork or Seymour if you had to choose?

Good point.

Seymour if based on talent. No doubt. But Vincent is a great player, a great guy, and I think he was more of a PTP.

Seymour if based on talent. No doubt. But Vincent is a great player, a great guy, and I think he was more of a PTP.

A few years ago I did an ameteurish deep dive into the NT position and have favored it ever sense. I found it to be the most impactful position of the front seven. The reason I did it was to determine whether Wilfork belonged in the HOF or not. I think he does. And much like Seymour the "stats" do not support that take.

In short, a dominant NT can disrupt the pocket more so than a DE or LB. Although Seymour, an anomaly, had a similar impact.

Watching Vita Vea vs a solid GB Oline two weeks ago was just an example of the impact a dominant NT can have. Imo.

But to your point, Seymour did do the same thing. I loved Wilfork but would probably have to go with Seymour as well.

A few years ago I did an ameteurish deep dive into the NT position and have favored it ever sense. I found it to be the most impactful position of the front seven. The reason I did it was to determine whether Wilfork belonged in the HOF or not. I think he does. And much like Seymour the "stats" do not support that take.

In short, a dominant NT can disrupt the pocket more so than a DE or LB. Although Seymour, an anomaly, had a similar impact.

Watching Vita Vea vs a solid GB Oline two weeks ago was just an example of the impact a dominant NT can have. Imo.

But to your point, Seymour did do the same thing. I loved Wilfork but would probably have to go with Seymour as well.

Aaron Donald is a top 5 DLineman. I would classify him as a DT, an All-Pro and a future hall of famer, so it is more about the player than the position. If you had to pick between Aaron Donald and Richard Seymour?

Aaron Donald is a top 5 DLineman. I would classify him as a DT, an All-Pro and a future hall of famer, so it is more about the player than the position. If you had to pick between Aaron Donald and Richard Seymour?

Great question. I don't know. I'll choose Seymour because his efforts resulted in rings but that's just hindsight buffoonery.

How about this,. Vita Vea or Aaron Donald?

I'd take Vea. But it's really close.

Or, let me ask you this way,. Players being equal which position has the most impact? NT or DE?

Anyway I think you're right. It's the player and not as much the position.

Elite Edge/Rush > Elite DT ... slightly
Good point.

Seymour slightly. Wilfork belongs in the HOF though. Top 1-3 at his position. Anchor on SB teams. Durable at toughest position in the game. He basically fought two guys 30 times a game while getting blindsided another 10 times. 330+ playing 50 snaps at 5 seconds per snap. He belongs.
Donald, easy.
Great question. I don't know. I'll choose Seymour because his efforts resulted in rings but that's just hindsight buffoonery.

Or, let me ask you this way,. Players being equal which position has the most impact? NT or DE?

I'd go Donald easy although Vea was a draft forum crush years ago. I loved him. I know @reamer did as well. I love watching his tape. Him and Suh have some of the most impressive play strength I've ever seen. Both are naturally strong as ****, it's amazing.

Vea might be better but right now Donald's resume is greater. I would pick Donald, but Thuney stoned him one-on-one in the SB.

I think a 3 down DE is the most important front 7 position, but there is an argument for DT (Vea and Donald), or OLB (Taylor).

Elite Edge/Rush > Elite DT ... slightly

Seymour slightly. Wilfork belongs in the HOF though. Top 1-3 at his position. Anchor on SB teams. Durable at toughest position in the game. He basically fought two guys 30 times a game while getting blindsided another 10 times. 330+ playing 50 snaps at 5 seconds per snap. He belongs.

Donald, easy.

I'd go Donald easy although Vea was a draft forum crush years ago. I loved him. I know @reamer did as well. I love watching his tape. Him and Suh have some of the most impressive play strength I've ever seen. Both are naturally strong as ****, it's amazing.
Thanks @BaconGrundleCandy. Who are the top two "naturally strong as ****" in the 2021 draft?

Aaron Donald, and it's not really close.

Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, NT Tyler Shelvin, LSU
Steve Balestrieri
Shelvin dominates single blocking and has the strong anchor to absorb double teams at the point of attack, allowing the linebackers to clean up and make plays.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
I would Love it if Shelvin's still available with our 3rd-rounder...#47's a bit too rich for me, though I would take Alim McNeill there...

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back