PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: NFL Combine Day 2: Official 40 Times Controversy

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL Combine Day 2: Official 40 Times Controversy
Mark Morse
I was shocked at how well all the backs caught the ball. Usually, you have one or two that can catch. We knew that James Cook and Kyren Williams were going to catch well. When the running backs went through the catching drills nearly all the backs performed well.

The post NFL Combine Day 2: Official 40 Times Controversy appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Abraham Lucas & Tyler Smith are two of the OTs I will definitely be watching for their availability near the end of Day 2/beginning of Day 3...

The weight loss for Rosenthal is a surprise, though Diesch might've played close to 300 lbs all year long anyway... He's gonna need to gain weight if he's to become a starter in the pros... Max Mitchell had his hat handed to him throughout Senior Bowl week; dude's not on my radar until near the end of the draft...

Yeah something fishy's going on with these 40-yard times...

Abraham Lucas & Tyler Smith are two of the OTs I will definitely be watching for their availability near the end of Day 2/beginning of Day 3...

The weight loss for Rosenthal is a surprise, though Diesch might've played close to 300 lbs all year long anyway... He's gonna need to gain weight if he's to become a starter in the pros... Max Mitchell had his hat handed to him throughout Senior Bowl week; dude's not on my radar until near the end of the draft...

Yeah something fishy's going on with these 40-yard times...
"A source told me on Thursday that the combine used a new starter on the laser clock this year, which was the reason given for the wider discrepancies between the official and unofficial times. It is yet to be seen if this issue will be fixed for the remaining three days of testing."

From Justis

Combine was so F'd up lol

How hard is it to schedule this **** you have an entire week to do about 2 hours worth of drills lol

Put it back on days. And give the prospects ample time for testing. Entire RB group say peace to the 3C. Which sucks bc agility drills matter the most by a good deal imo. NFL & most sports are played in a 10-20 yard box. If you can't make someone miss, maneuver through traffic you're probably not making it very far.

Last edited:
Combine was so F'd up lol

How hard is it to schedule this **** you have an entire week to do about 2 hours worth of drills lol

Put it back on days. And give the prospects ample time for testing. Entire RB group say peace to the 3C. Which sucks bc agility drills matter the most by a good deal imo. NFL & most sports are played in a 10-20 yard box. If you can't make someone miss, maneuver through traffic you're probably not making it very far.

Yeah the league & its Network tried to make a prime-time splash with their fancy new clocks and by showing more drills and fewer timed & measured events, and they ended-up with beer on their faces... As long as the clocks screw-up the same way for every runner then the overall result stays the same - we knew that Calvin Austin was fast, and that Slide Bolden wasn't - but then the Network, especially their completely unprincipled shills, make these kids out to be Superheroes before they've played even one snap of pro ball...

Give me LIVE viewing of the shuttles, 3-cone, broad jump & high jump ahead of these made-for-tv drills any day of the week... Heck I would even rather watch the hand & arm measurements than the Gauntlet...

Yeah the league & its Network tried to make a prime-time splash with their fancy new clocks and by showing more drills and fewer timed & measured events, and they ended-up with beer on their faces... As long as the clocks screw-up the same way for every runner then the overall result stays the same - we knew that Calvin Austin was fast, and that Slide Bolden wasn't - but then the Network, especially their completely unprincipled shills, make these kids out to be Superheroes before they've played even one snap of pro ball...

Give me LIVE viewing of the shuttles, 3-cone, broad jump & high jump ahead of these made-for-tv drills any day of the week... Heck I would even rather watch the hand & arm measurements than the Gauntlet...
Actually, the gauntlet is the one passing drill I like. Can they maintain a straightline while catching the ball or are the weaving and bobbing all over the place. That drill tells me who can catch and who is a smooth runner under control.

I see your point but Austin is fast today, tomorrow and 10 years from now he'll be running by dudes. Same with Slade on the other end. Back in the day coaches would help prospects out on their start. Tell them relax and take a few breaths. I could see how it would hurt certain guys and not other.
I think most will use the combine and pro days more efficient. Combine off power & pro day for agility. Who knows but agility is most important imo.

Also like @Mark Morse said love the gauntlet drill. We always hear about QB's throwing WR open but it's the WR job to track, run through the catch point / ball. And that drill does a nice job off showing that.

Actually, the gauntlet is the one passing drill I like. Can they maintain a straightline while catching the ball or are the weaving and bobbing all over the place. That drill tells me who can catch and who is a smooth runner under control.

I see your point but Austin is fast today, tomorrow and 10 years from now he'll be running by dudes. Same with Slade on the other end. Back in the day coaches would help prospects out on their start. Tell them relax and take a few breaths. I could see how it would hurt certain guys and not other.

I think most will use the combine and pro days more efficient. Combine off power & pro day for agility. Who knows but agility is most important imo.

Also like @Mark Morse said love the gauntlet drill. We always hear about QB's throwing WR open but it's the WR job to track, run through the catch point / ball. And that drill does a nice job off showing that.

I also really don't mind the gauntlet, especially compared to every other staged exercise that isn't timed... But I would still prefer to see all of the events that are weighed/measured/clocked shown live ahead of it.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back