PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Like The Patriots, the Jets Haven’t Had Much Luck Either When it Comes to Drafting Receivers

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
On the bright side, wide receiver is probably the only position we struggle to draft well.

With the jets, as bad as their track record of drafting wide receivers is, that is probably one of their better drafted positions!

On the bright side, wide receiver is probably the only position we struggle to draft well.

CB?

Let's face it, when it comes to evaluating college talent outside the hash marks, Billy's as ****ing useless as tits on a bull.

CB?

Let's face it, when it comes to evaluating college talent outside the hash marks, Billy's as ****ing useless as tits on a bull.

Fortunately we have wolf in the room this year to keep bb from going rogue!

Pats not drafting WR well seems to be overblown. They haven't had luck because they haven't tried.

Here's a breakdown of their drafting history.:

Thanks for the list.

Let's break this down.

If my math is correct, the average round they drafted a WR in 17 years they took a WR was almost the 5th round. Yikes!

Now break it down by frequency in each round:
One 1st rounder
Four 2nd rounders
Two 3rd rounders
Two 4th rounders
Two 5th rounders
One 6th rounder
Six 7th rounders

4 times in 21 years they took multiple WR's.

Only 18 WR's in 21 years averages out to not even drafting one WR per year.

Now how many of those worked out:

Givens
Branch
Edelman
Malcolm Mitchell is debatable.

Let's call it 3 or 4 out of 18.

Only one 1,000 yard WR (Edelman)
Two Super Bowl MVP's (Branch and Edelman)
No Pro Bowlers or All Pro's

The Eagles just entered the "we can't draft a WR" group chat.

Projecting how a receiver will do in the NFL is hard given that the cornerbacks in college play a lot of off-man coverage. On top of that, teams like NE have a really hard playbook. Even HOF receivers (Reggie Wayne) and very good receivers like Chad Ocho Cinco come here and flop.

Projecting how a receiver will do in the NFL is hard given that the cornerbacks in college play a lot of off-man coverage. On top of that, teams like NE have a really hard playbook. Even HOF receivers (Reggie Wayne) and very good receivers like Chad Ocho Cinco come here and flop.

Learning how to run option routes is the hardest thing, mentally, in the nfl!

You have to see the exact same thing as the qb and you both have to make the same correct decision.

Meanwhile harry can not line up correctly or go in motion correctly after three years in the system. He brings new meaning to the phrase, “slow learner!”

Like The Patriots, the Jets Haven’t Had Much Luck Either When it Comes to Drafting Receivers…

Like The Patriots, the Jets Haven’t Had Much Luck Either When it Comes to Drafting Receivers
Ian Logue
While we know the Patriots have had their share of issues drafting a wide receiver, the New York Jets have apparently also not had much luck.

The post Like The Patriots, the Jets Haven’t Had Much Luck Either When it Comes to Drafting Receivers appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I think the Jets have a really good receiving corps now.

Pats not drafting WR well seems to be overblown. They haven't had luck because they haven't tried.

Here's a breakdown of their drafting history.:

I did a breakdown too illustrating just how bad the Pats are at drafting WRs. I used Pittsburgh a team adept at selecting WRs as a comparison.

In every high round the Pats have picked the worst WR when better WRs were still on the board. We know all about the Harry draft and the dozen or so FANSTATIC WRs who were picked after him. That happened in other rounds too. There is no indication that if the Pats had spent more 1st round picks at WR that they could find one.

The Pats success rate by round is a joke. Branch from the 2nd round 21 years ago. Out of 4 - 2nd round WRs only 1 was worth keeping. A 25% success rate. Michell wasnt good because he could not stay on the field. Edelman was a QB developed into a WR.

Pray that Thorton is good because the kiss of death is being drafted by the Patriots.

I did a breakdown too illustrating just how bad the Pats are at drafting WRs. I used Pittsburgh a team adept at selecting WRs as a comparison.

In every high round the Pats have picked the worst WR when better WRs were still on the board. We know all about the Harry draft and the dozen or so FANSTATIC WRs who were picked after him. That happened in other rounds too. There is no indication that if the Pats had spent more 1st round picks at WR that they could find one.

The Pats success rate by round is a joke. Branch from the 2nd round 21 years ago. Out of 4 - 2nd round WRs only 1 was worth keeping. A 25% success rate. Michell wasnt good because he could not stay on the field. Edelman was a QB developed into a WR.

Pray that Thorton is good because the kiss of death is being drafted by the Patriots.
I did a breakdown of their WR drafting history as well. To sum it up, Bill put in very little effort in drafting WR’s. Quite tragic actually.

I did a breakdown of their WR drafting history as well. To sum it up, Bill put in very little effort in drafting WR’s. Quite tragic actually.

Yep; Billy's both ignored the position when a viable candidate was staring him in his ****ing face (Golden Tate), and he's drafted the Wrong Dude (Kneal Harry) when there were better options still available.

Yep; Billy's both ignored the position when a viable candidate was staring him in his ****ing face (Golden Tate), and he's drafted the Wrong Dude (Kneal Harry) when there were better options still available.
We can go through many years were higher rated/more proven WR’s were right there for the taking, but were continually passed up for some other guy or for a position that wasn’t needed.

And what was your conclusion as to why he puts in no effort? Anything?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back