PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Former DE Ninkovich Describes How Patriots Leveraged Brady's Contract Against Players

I often wonder how athletes like Amendola think fans will react will they go public with their salary complaints. A player signing a "cheap" one million dollar a year contract makes twenty times what the average guy in the U.S. earns. But I know there are low paid fanboys out there who do cry into their beer for these millionaires.
Which sounds better in the public realm:

"I accepted the pay cut in New England because I only cared about winning"
or
"My agent couldn't find any team to offer me a better contract than the Patriots reduced offer after my 243 yd 2016 season so I took the only deal available to me"

Kind of funny Amendola has never been quoted as saying....
"I signed with Miami and Detroit because I only cared about winning"

Last edited:
So in other words it is a season like every other since 2000. Cool.

I love this myth that every player was willing to play in Kolyma for a cup of gruel just to play with Brady.

What Nink said was very true in that tempering rates over a much longer period in a more stable environment leads to better piece of mind and in the end probably more money vs sucking every penny now in an unstable situation.

Where this went off the wires is that dude interviewing him was going to take this thought process in a different direction that doesn't exactly jive with what he said.

Not at all actually. Bill is under more scrutiny this year than he was back then. The mishandling of Brady and the QB position overall has everyone analyzing his every move with a microscope. I think it is a bit over the top but such is the sports landscape these days. I do wonder if it will make Bill leave after this year.

Yeah because I read about this thing called Spygate that had hardly any press coverage.

Nothing has really changed because you so believe in the Brady incident. Fanboi's have got to stop using anything and everything as evidence to validate what they so want to believe.

Which sounds better in the public realm:

"I accepted the pay cut in New England because I only cared about winning"
or
"My agent couldn't find any team to offer me a better contract than the Patriots reduced offer after my 243 yd 2016 season so I took the only deal available to me"

Kind of funny Amendola has never been quoted as saying....
"I signed with Miami and Detroit because I only cared about winning"
All Amendola had to say was seeing how he is on the back-end of his career, he wanted to maximize his earnings potential.

I really don't understand why pro athletes are afraid of saying that.

Are they afraid fans will think less of them as people?

The NFL is a ruthless business. The most successful franchise is ruthless in it's negotiations with players? Doesn't seem like news to me. Anyone who's followed this team for the last 20 years can see they are brutal. They are ruthless in their pursuit of winning. They've bent the rules, broken them, and skirted them. I'm not surprised by anything they do in the process of fielding a winning team. We all were fine with it until they played hardball with Tom and, as a result, went 7-9. Now, we don't like the way they do business? I don't think we can have it both ways.

the pats would not have been much better with brady...they were going nowhere with brady, also

Huh? I didn't state anything assuming wages and salaries of posters.

Just that most of them would have been in a role where they'd be recruited by another company, and then entered into a negotiation with their current employer about getting a raise as a result. That's a position a lot of people have never been in before, and very few are now.

I love this myth that every player was willing to play in Kolyma for a cup of gruel just to play with Brady.

What Nink said was very true in that tempering rates over a much longer period in a more stable environment leads to better piece of mind and in the end probably more money vs sucking every penny now in an unstable situation.

Where this went off the wires is that dude interviewing him was going to take this thought process in a different direction that doesn't exactly jive with what he said.

Practically no FA came to play with Brady, but because it was an annual chance at a ring. If it would have been JimmyG at the helm being similarly successful they would still be coming. It is just another attempt at myth building to make it about a person.

Primarily money talks, then comes success and thats pretty much it except for the odd case now and then that has a relative on the team (JMac), wants to stay in this area because of family or whatever.

Not at all actually. Bill is under more scrutiny this year than he was back then. The mishandling of Brady and the QB position overall has everyone analyzing his every move with a microscope. I think it is a bit over the top but such is the sports landscape these days. I do wonder if it will make Bill leave after this year.

BB didnt mishandle anything about the Brady situation. It was the right choice given the options no matter how often you want to pretend the opposite.

Just that most of them would have been in a role where they'd be recruited by another company, and then entered into a negotiation with their current employer about getting a raise as a result. That's a position a lot of people have never been in before, and very few are now.
I get it.

maybe not recruited but if they applied to a job but after further investigation/soul searching they determined the grass (see money) isn't always greener

So in other words it is a season like every other since 2000. Cool.
That won't work anymore when you don't have the GOAT and actually drafted some talent on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
Revis said the same thing. It worries me that Bill is going to have to complete change the way he builds a team.

That won't work anymore when you don't have the GOAT and actually drafted some talent on both sides of the ball.

It never worked before.

Nobody ever came here to play with Brady. Only on patsfans can you find some doofus that actually believe that.

It never worked before.
That’s been his formula for the last 20 years with the occasional big name signing or trade.
Nobody ever came here to play with Brady. Only on patsfans can you find some doofus that actually believe that.
But they came here to play for Bill? Regardless, not sure how this tied into my original comment.

But they came here to play for Bill? Regardless, not sure how this tied into my original comment.

That was certainly the case with Rodney Harrison. He has gone into detail about it.

BB didnt mishandle anything about the Brady situation. It was the right choice given the options no matter how often you want to pretend the opposite.
This is, quite possibly, the dumbest post you’ve ever made.

I think it was well established that many players had to choose between playing here (increased chance of playing for a title) versus playing elsewhere (increased salary).

The problem is now we no longer have the "increased chance of playing for a title" to dangle in front of free agents.

Last edited:
LOL!!!! The self-delusion in this post is so strong, I honestly am not sure you are being serious. The options were

1) Keep the Greatest QB of All Time
2) Have no plan whatsoever then stumble ass backwards into a minimum wage has-been who totally sucks now

He clearly made the wrong choice. I said so at the time, I said so all season long, and I continue to say so right now. Anything else is just a laughable deviation from reality.

Last edited:
I think it was well established that many players had to choose between playing here (increased chance of playing for a title) versus playing elsewhere (increased salary).

The problem is now we no longer have the "increased chance of playing for a title" to dangle in front of free agents.

You "think"?

That's your first mistake. Working without tools.

Look I get it, you are mad Brady is gone. Maybe Yankee Candle can develop the "Brady's Jock" scented candle for you to fragrance your trailer.

Nobody came here or played at a material discount because of Brady. Just because there is an idiot section of this fanbase that so wants to believe that doesn't make it true.

I'm sorry, it's reality.

Do you want me to name players lost in free agency or traded because their would never re-sign?

Hell. there's some idiot quoting Revis on this. Like I guess in some idiot universe, Revis stayed for vet minimum.

Goebbels once said that if you repeat a big lie enough, people (dumbazzes) will believe it. That's where you are at.

At some point, reality needs to set in........one hopes.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back