PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: For Patriots CB Gilmore, Holding Out Would Be Too Expensive

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
For Patriots CB Gilmore, Holding Out Would Be Too Expensive
Ian Logue
Stephon Gilmore’s status still remains a big question and this week former agent, Joel Corry, appeared on The Next Pats Podcast with Phil Perry discussing possible scenarios on the cornerback’s future.

The post For Patriots CB Gilmore, Holding Out Would Be Too Expensive appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I give Gilmore's contest of wills a few more weeks... and then he'll be like:

giphy.gif

Gilmore isn't playing on his rookie contract hoping to cash in big with his first free agent contract. He isn't in the middle of a contract with multiple years left where he is getting well under market value. He is in the last year of his contract, at the end of his prime years, getting paid good money even if it isn't market value, and coming off a down, injury filled year. I cannot see him holding out beyond the first few weeks at training camp at most.

I disagree with the repeated statements that the Pats would not be allowed to rescind the multi-million $ fines and therefore Gilmore must cave. Sure they can't give him a direct "refund" but all the Pats would need to do would be add the value of the millions in fines to the final settlement.

I disagree with the repeated statements that the Pats would not be allowed to rescind the multi-million $ fines and therefore Gilmore must cave. Sure they can't give him a direct "refund" but all the Pats would need to do would be add the value of the millions in fines to the final settlement.
Obviously, if there are $2M in penalties, Gilmore would require $2M more.

QUESTION
When does Gilmore have to show up to get credit for this year, and be a fee agent next year?

Also, if the patriots want to take a hard line, Gilmore could show up, and then have a sit out during the year, with penalties for games not played, but so what?

......all the Pats would need to do would be add the value of the millions in fines to the final settlement.
If "missed training camp" and "missed game" fines are treated the same as "game day" fines, the fine money is not returned to the organization but to NFL charitable causes instead.
So, it would be a reach to assume Bob would ever "add millions" out of his pocket in order to cover a holdout's financial loss created because that player refused to honor his contract.
I doubt fellow owners would want such a precedent set given how owners made fine payment mandatory now.

How would other owners know? All anyone sees is the final contract.
A sticker for the Pats covert compensation would be the increased cap hit from the "added" compensation.
But (I'm not Miguel) maybe they saved that much off the cap previously from the fines.

$50,000/day to hold out and 1/18th of pay for pre-season games.
Man, do NFL players have a $hittie union.
The first problem is they represent a much larger number of players than MLB and the NBA.

The second is they're trying to cater to two very different groups. Remember that the median salary in the NFL is still less than $1M a year.

The Pats still have $16M left in cap space. Gilmore is at $7m this year. Why not give him some and settle the issue. CB1 is one of those spots where it's worth it to pay elite talent. The Pats never won a ring without an elite CB1 on the roster. Belichick's defense doesn't work without a CB1. Seems short sighted to poison the waters with your CB1. I don't think age30 for Gilmore has had a massive drop off in play.

This has been totally mismanaged.

BB has lost his fastball in too many GM moves to count up. Gilmore should have been dealt before the draft and the Pats should have selected the best CB available.

That Chart is INCORRECT. It (and Gilmore) ignore the fact that Gilmore got $5M in NEW money in 2020. That raised Gilmore's AAV from $13M to $14M (not including any incentives he earned) (Orginal Contract was 5/$65M).

EDIT: Conflicting report.. Supposedly they just moved the money up, but they did give him $2M in extra Game-played incentives which would changed the AAV

Last edited:
That Chart is INCORRECT. It (and Gilmore) ignore the fact that Gilmore got $5M in NEW money in 2020. That raised Gilmore's AAV from $13M to $14M (not including any incentives he earned) (Orginal Contract was 5/$65M).

They shifted $5M up earlier, last year. It wasn't an increase to the total contract....

What a mess.

You have a CB on the wrong side of 31 in the final year of a contract. Gilmore cut a fat hog in years 1 and 4 of his existing contract and now the money has dried up in the 5th and last year. Breaking the bank now on an aging player looking for his last payday is ludicrous.

No later than week 10 I believe...
As long as he can hold out for enough to make a huge difference, he does have leverage. Sure, he risks "losing" millions. On the other hand, if goes the route of holding out (or of random walkouts after showing up), a new team will more than make up for the money lost.

Absent injury, the worst case for Gilmore is that he gets a half year of rest, and loses $5M in salary.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back