PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Dan Orlovsky Has a “Massive” Issue He Feels Patriots Mac Jones is Faced With in 2022

It’s hard not to agree with him. Maybe Bill will prove all the doubters wrong again, but it’s fair to wonder if Bill approaching 70 years old just doesn’t want any fresh voices to deal with and just wants his “yes men” in place, which is in part human nature and may be clouding his judgment on what’s best for Mac. We’ll see.
The thing is, all the QBs who are brought up as examples of having a problem were not JUST changing coordinators. They were changing systems as well. The Pats playbook is nearly a quarter of century old and isn't going to change, whether they de-emphasize the fullback or not. Mac will be playing in the same PB and his receivers will be running the same routes and none of the terminology will change.

Every time I see someone say Bill wants Yes Man I cringe, that's a Felger and Mazz straw man that took on its own life and from what everyone with inside knowledge of the team says it's not close to true.
Felger specialty is strawmen. Pull something out of your ass, act as though it's already happened and then beat on it for weeks. His latest is 'what if they go 6-11, will Kraft fire Bill then??' and he's treating it as though it's already happened.

The writer makes very valid points I don't think anybody here is buying into Fat Matt as a OC. And Judge was HC on a very Talented Giant's Team that went bat you know what. Good Talent can make bad Coaching look good and Bad coaching can make good talent look bad. I hope Mac is a student of the game because with those two he might be calling his own plays sooner rather than later. I mean look at the alternatives.
A very Talented Giants Team?????

What people around the league are thinking are incoherent hot-takes? Scratching their heads...Time for another Troy Polamalu ad.
Everyone is wondering WTF Bill is doing w/ offensive coaching staff. Are you surprised? Even Kraft hinted at it but said he trusted Bill. We'll have to see how it all pans out.

Everyone is wondering WTF Bill is doing w/ offensive coaching staff. Are you surprised? Even Kraft hinted at it but said he trusted Bill. We'll have to see how it all pans out.
I expect he has some idea what he's doing.

A very Talented Giants Team?????
The Giants Offense had some Good pieces that went to hell under Judge. S Barkley - a good WR his names slipping me and Daniel Jones is not a bad young QB. I'm not making any excuses for Judge that's why he was fired.

The Giants Offense had some Good pieces that went to hell under Judge. S Barkley - a good WR his names slipping me and Daniel Jones is not a bad young QB. I'm not making any excuses for Judge that's why he was fired.
Daniel Jones is wretched.

McDaniels left to take a head coaching job. BB could not stop him. But why the hell could he not hire an experienced QB coach??? Makes no sense

McDaniels left to take a head coaching job. BB could not stop him. But why the hell could he not hire an experienced QB coach??? Makes no sense
Judge is getting paid by the Gints. Why not use a guy that's basically free to teach your young QB how to QB. That's how you get value. It's genius if you really think about it.

“These guys have had these offensive-minded guys that have been around the NFL in that kind of role and there’s been a consistency of that.”

This is a direct quote of orlovsky commenting on coaches with offensive EXPERIENCE, not JUST continuity.

Cherry pick comments all you want. Maybe patricia and judge end up good offensive coaches. BB clearly sees something in them and their potential. But it is an indisputable fact that there are experienced offensive coaches like O’Brien who would have afforded Jones more first hand knowledge, and yes, even continuity than those guys.
Nobody knows if Bill O'Brien was available or interested. Other than that, which established OC would know the Pats system?

Nick Caley is probably the future OC. He's coached the TE's the past 5 years and was a John Carroll graduate, so he's a JMD protege. BB also must feel that with 2 former HC's on his staff, one running the OL and the other as QB coach, he's got the right coaches. Caley will likely be in Jones' ear on gameday, and next year becomes OC officially.

In his spare time I hope that Judge helps out with Special teams which were not good at all last year except for Nick Folk. The punting unit cost us games, Bailey couldn't land one inside the 10, it was ugly.

I want to see Fat Matt call offensive plays…there I said it. I think it will be fun. This will not be a good thing for my Dad (87 yrs old) who hated when he was DC…I mean bordering on NEM’s dislike for Weis.

It's absolutely weird, but I will personally reserve judgment until we start seeing the results. It'll be glorious if it works out.

I think Dan made a mistake the meant failed HC's his editor should be fired.
No I think Orlovsky meant to write the most demeaning description he could, to try to create something that will fire up controversy and get him more clicks now and in the future. It’s a dumb take, and him calling anybody else an NFL failure is ludicrous. But he’ll draw eyeballs and that’s what pays.

The writer makes very valid points I don't think anybody here is buying into Fat Matt as a OC. And Judge was HC on a very Talented Giant's Team that went bat you know what. Good Talent can make bad Coaching look good and Bad coaching can make good talent look bad. I hope Mac is a student of the game because with those two he might be calling his own plays sooner rather than later. I mean look at the alternatives.
I may not be buying into Fat Matt as OC until I see how he does, but on the other hand I’m not writing him off as OC until I see what he does, either. You, like Dan, have obviously decided there’s no need to wait for evidence and results to support your prejudice.

Trying my hand at math (some of the years are mixed together with multiple duties)...

Special Teams Coach - 5 years
Wide Receivers Coach - 1 years
Defensive / Coordinator - 6 years
Head Coach - A looong time

If continuity is important, I would think Nick Caley would be the best candidate as he's come up in and been part of the McDaniels system.

Orlovsky can play the clown with the best of the ex-jocks, but in this case he is 100% bang-on correct.

The Worst WRs Coach of 2019?

Phatt Matt?

Another John Carroll slappy?

You ****ing sh!tting me?

There’s a lot riding on Fat Matt and Judge this year. If Mac doesn’t make the jump many hope/expect him to I think the blame will fall more on Bill for going with Fat Matt and Judge then it will on Mac. Kraft has publicly set high expectations for the team. Let’s hope we meet them.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back