PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Draft - Trades - Free Agents

Report: Kevin Durant and Kyrie decided before last season they’d join same team in free agency

so he was full of **** all season.........last year's mess has nobody but Irving to blame......can't win with a guy who quit before the season started

Gotta feel bad for some of these small market Teams with these Elite players already deciding their futures. Thanks Lebron with bull crap you and other pulled in Miami a few moons ago. The beginning of the End NBA it will become unwatchable for the average fans who aren't celebrities. If Kawhi Leonard ends up on the Lakers that would do it for me I'm done.

Kawhi has the nuclear codes. We’re just waiting to see if he uses them or not.

Find the whole NBA FA process and the salary cap very confusing.. still trying to figure out how Philly will be able afford Horford, Simmons and Embid..

Yeah, it is confusing. I googled, "NBA Cap 101" only to find 3-4 page long "summaries" of the NBA's cap rules.

Here's what to know:

- There is a "soft cap" of 109M for the 2019-2020 season.
- If the cap is exceeded, a team must pay a "luxury tax" of at least 150% of every dollar over 109M.
- The tax rate rises every 5M you go over the cap....and rises also if your team is a "repeat tax payer".
- There are EXCEPTIONS for your own free agents in which you can exceed the cap (see "Bird Rights"). The exceptions differ for 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year players.
- There are other EXCEPTIONS such as the "Mid Level Exception" which allows you to sign a veteran FA and exceed the cap.
- Plus a lot more little things....

Basically, when you sign and trade...you exceed the cap....and trade that "exception" to the other team. Usually, you receive some compensation for sending your own FA to another team via S&T.

Philly can afford all of these players because they have Simmons on his rookie deal and Emid as a max player....then Harris was their own FA I believe....and they added Horford. And I think they got a player for the Jimmy Butler S&T. I won't know until July 6th after I check out salaries on www.hoopshype.com (currently, the Celts only have 8 players on their cap including Baynes...and not including the rookies).

Yeah, it is confusing. I googled, "NBA Cap 101" only to find 3-4 page long "summaries" of the NBA's cap rules.

Here's what to know:

- There is a "soft cap" of 109M for the 2019-2020 season.
- If the cap is exceeded, a team must pay a "luxury tax" of at least 150% of every dollar over 109M.
- The tax rate rises every 5M you go over the cap....and rises also if your team is a "repeat tax payer".
- There are EXCEPTIONS for your own free agents in which you can exceed the cap (see "Bird Rights"). The exceptions differ for 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year players.
- There are other EXCEPTIONS such as the "Mid Level Exception" which allows you to sign a veteran FA and exceed the cap.
- Plus a lot more little things....

Basically, when you sign and trade...you exceed the cap....and trade that "exception" to the other team. Usually, you receive some compensation for sending your own FA to another team via S&T.

Philly can afford all of these players because they have Simmons on his rookie deal and Emid as a max player....then Harris was their own FA I believe....and they added Horford. And I think they got a player for the Jimmy Butler S&T. I won't know until July 6th after I check out salaries on www.hoopshype.com (currently, the Celts only have 8 players on their cap including Baynes...and not including the rookies).

spotrac has the new deals up

Boston Celtics 2019-20 Salary Cap

Bottom line is Ainge did no feel Horford was worth that much money now.
Ainge is seeing the Celtics run for the title a few years from now.
I don’t think that Horford was worth that kind of money.

Problem is what really is Danny’s plan. Ainge seems to see a title run in a few years. Problem is that few years theory has happened a few too many times.

He has made some great trades. Problem is he put together that 3 Superstar team only once. That team won a title. Has not happened since. BB has kept winning titles he gets a pass. Danny has not. Time to hold his feet to the fire. I’m tired of waiting 2 years in advance.

Problem is what really is Danny’s plan. Ainge seems to see a title run in a few years. Problem is that few years theory has happened a few too many times.

He has made some great trades. Problem is he put together that 3 Superstar team only once. That team won a title. Has not happened since. BB has kept winning titles he gets a pass. Danny has not. Time to hold his feet to the fire. I’m tired of waiting 2 years in advance.

Danny gets more credit for winning 1 title in nearly 20 years than any other executive than I can think of.

D-aMR97XsAAfQuq.jpg

Kanter for 2yr/10M is a better deal

So, as of now:

Kanter
Theis
Williams
Hayward
Ojeleye
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Walker
Morris
Yabusele
3 Rookies
Bottom of roster trio

A look back at the 2011 draft ... interesting

1 Cleveland Kyrie Irving (PG) Duke

2 Minnesota Derrick Williams (PF) Arizona
3 Utah Enes Kanter (C) Turkey
4 Cleveland Tristan Thompson (PF) Texas
5 Toronto Jonas Valanciunas (C) Lithuania
6 Washington Jan Vesely (SF)
7 Sacramento Bismack Biyombo (PF) Spain
8 Detroit Brandon Knight (PG) Kentucky
9 Charlotte Kemba Walker (PG) UConn
10 Milwaukee Jimmer Fredette (PG) BYU
11 Golden State Klay Thompson (SG) Wash St
12 Utah Alec Burks (SG) Colorado
13 Phoenix Markieff Morris (PF) Kansas
14 Houston Marcus Morris (PF) Kansas
15 Indiana Kawhi Leonard (SF) SDSU

16 Philadelphia Nikola Vucevic (C) USC
17 New York Iman Shumpert (PG) Ga Tech
18 Washington Chris Singleton (SF) Florida St
19 Charlotte Tobias Harris (PF) Tennessee
20 Minnesota Donatas Motiejunas (PF) Lithuania
21 Portland Nolan Smith (SG) Duke
22 Denver Kenneth Faried (PF) Morehead St
23 Houston Nikola Mirotic (SF) Serbia
24 OK City Reggie Jackson (PG) BC
25 Boston Marshon Brooks (SG) Providence
26 Dallas Jordan Hamilton (SF) Texas
27 New Jersey JaJuan Johnson (PF) Purdue
28 Chicago Norris Cole (PG) Clev St
29 San Antonio Cory Joseph (PG) Texas
30 Chicago Jimmy Butler (SF) Marquette

Will someone tell me something about Enes Kanter. Right now all I know is that he's tall, from Turkey. and is the C's mid-level exception guy.

Will someone tell me something about Enes Kanter. Right now all I know is that he's tall, from Turkey. and is the C's mid-level exception guy.
You covered it ...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back