PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Draft - Trades - Free Agents

"we’re starting with a core of Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum"

If you're starting with a core that mostly consists of 3 players sharing two positions, spending your first draft pick on another player who would be sharing those two positions, and who's not likely to be better than any of the core 3, is not good resource management.

In a vacuum maybe. However, you need wings that can play on the bench as well. Jaylen saw a some time at the 2 as well, so it will all shake out. If they were the BPA, and I assume Ainge is being truthful when he says they were, then you draft and figure it out.

In a vacuum maybe. However, you need wings that can play on the bench as well. Jaylen saw a some time at the 2 as well, so it will all shake out. If they were the BPA, and I assume Ainge is being truthful when he says they were, then you draft and figure it out.

You don't want to waste your top pick in the draft on a guy you hope can be the #4 player at 2 positions where there's no need, unless you think the whole draft sucks, in which case, you try to ditch all your picks for asset management purposes. And, as I noted, Ainge's drafting has been a problem for some time. Go take a look at it. Hell, here's the list (not adjusted for picks made with the league's @#%&% trade rules).

Boston Celtics Draft Picks | Basketball-Reference.com

There's really not been a lot of 'steal' picks happening, and he's missed on some great players. I get that there's nothing drastically unusual about that in the NBA, just as I get that the Tatum draft didn't have a monster talent to take at #1 when they had that pick. But not getting a full top line 'steal' in his entire tenure is a big part of why this team has been on the roller coaster ride it's been.

You don't want to waste your top pick in the draft on a guy you hope can be the #4 player at 2 positions where there's no need, unless you think the whole draft sucks, in which case, you try to ditch all your picks for asset management purposes. And, as I noted, Ainge's drafting has been a problem for some time. Go take a look at it. Hell, here's the list (not adjusted for picks made with the league's @#%&% trade rules).

There's really not been a lot of 'steal' picks happening, and he's missed on some great players. I get that there's nothing drastically unusual about that in the NBA, just as I get that the Tatum draft didn't have a monster talent to take at #1 when they had that pick. But not getting a full top line 'steal' in his entire tenure is a big part of why this team has been on the roller coaster ride it's been.

Oh I agree about Ainges drafting but man its it hard in the NBA past top 3-5 usually. He needs these to pan out but I think overall recently he has been fair. Bradley, Smart, Rozier, Olynyk are couple that have worked out.

This morning, as predicted, I scratch my head and a WTF moment ensues.. have some trust in Ainge, but not BB trust.. what really puzzles me is that they gave Phoenix #24 with Aaron Baynes for salary cap room?? Even with the cap room, what are expectations without Horford, Irving and Baynes...

I do not get the NBA, its salary cap and the amount of power it gives to the players to develop their "superteams".. one of the many reasons that I do not watch it anywhere near as much as I used to.. otoh maybe now that Irving and his superego is gone, this team may be more watchable..

Even with one big name how can they match up against Philly or Milwaukee???

Addendum, heard this AM that in exchange for Baynes and #24 the Celtics get Phoenix #1 in 2020... not quite as bad as originally thought.

Last edited:
This morning, as predicted, I scratch my head and a WTF moment ensues.. have some trust in Ainge, but not BB trust.. what really puzzles me is that they gave Phoenix #24 with Aaron Baynes for salary cap room?? Even with the cap room, what are expectations without Horford, Irving and Baynes...

I do not get the NBA, its salary cap and the amount of power it gives to the players to develop their "superteams".. one of the many reasons that I do not watch it anywhere near as much as I used to.. otoh maybe now that Irving and his superego is gone, this team may be more watchable..

Even with one big name how can they match up against Philly or Milwaukee???

Philly has 5 guys currently under contract....they are all in a similar place to the Cs right now......smart move to at least put yourself in a position to get a max guy......big men are overrated .... point guards are overrated.....it’s a 3 and D league meant for wings

Drafting for the most part is a complimentary event now....the league is based on the 2,3,4 positions......back when the Cs got Hayward and Irving, the goal was have the high draft picks develop over the couple of years....well, that time is here.....time for brown and Tatum to be the face of the franchise.......right now, they’re only a big goof away from a very solid lineup......Hayward Tatum Brown Smart/Rozier plus some big guy who can grab some rebounds and clog up the middle is a contending ream in the east I believe ... they have the cap space to fill the holes and be exciting to watch

As a Heat fan, I have to say that it’s time Riley hang ‘em up. Just one consistent head-scratching move after another. The team has almost nothing in the way of actual talent to speak of and they’re tight against the cap because of his management.

Justise Winslow? Whiff. Could have had Booker. 0 picks in the 2016 draft. Bam? Whiff. Could have grabbed Kuzma. Signing Whiteside, who is as soft as sponge cake, to a max deal. Overpaying Tyler Johnson (who this kid is likely to turn out to be, but especially awful from beyond the arc, and who they needed to let go of anyway) and Olynyk. The list goes on. Time to take the old man out to pasture, dump the team, tank, and start to rebuild.

Oh I agree about Ainges drafting but man its it hard in the NBA past top 3-5 usually. He needs these to pan out but I think overall recently he has been fair. Bradley, Smart, Rozier, Olynyk are couple that have worked out.
Compared to everyone else Danny has been fine at drafting. That's not the issue

Compared to everyone else Danny has been fine at drafting. That's not the issue

He got jayson Tatum, Kyrie Irving, and Collin Sexton for markelle fultz .... he’s awesome when it comes to the draft

As a Heat fan, I have to say that it’s time Riley hang ‘em up. Just one consistent head-scratching move after another. The team has almost nothing in the way of actual talent to speak of and they’re tight against the cap because of his management.

Justise Winslow? Whiff. Could have had Booker. 0 picks in the 2016 draft. Bam? Whiff. Could have grabbed Kuzma. Signing Whiteside, who is as soft as sponge cake, to a max deal. Overpaying Tyler Johnson (who this kid is likely to turn out to be, but especially awful from beyond the arc, and who they needed to let go of anyway) and Olynyk. The list goes on. Time to take the old man out to pasture, dump the team, tank, and start to rebuild.
But you got Bol Bol ... time to party.

All three of the draft picks have proven themselves; as Belichick would say, "high production" in college. All three have some scouts (not all scouts) saying they have unexplored ceilings.

Yeah, they are now overly stocked at the #3 position. Let's see what happens over the next few months.

This guy is a beast. TWO 42 point games during the tournament, leading Purdue to the Final Four.

I'm a UVa sports fan and can say with complete certainty that he gained the respect and friendship of UVa's players far more than anyone else they faced in the tournament. He was invited, and accepted, to do pre-draft and pre-combine workouts with a Jerome and Guy. They came out of that as friends. Think about what that takes. I think his upside is Curry.

as of today, this is what the celts have ((potential adds as of this morning):

5 - RWilliams, (Vucevic)
4 - Tatum, Yabusele, GWilliams
3 - Hayward, Ojele
2 - Brown, Langford
1 - Smart, Edwards, (Rozier)

if the celts bring in Vucevic and bring back Rozier, they will still need a 4-5 with some experience

Potential 4-5 for short money that could bring something to the table:
Deandre Jordan, Kenneth Faried, even Frank Kaminsky

All three of the draft picks have proven themselves; as Belichick would say, "high production" in college. All three have some scouts (not all scouts) saying they have unexplored ceilings.

Yeah, they are now overly stocked at the #3 position. Let's see what happens over the next few months.

the '3' has become the '2,3,4' in the league.....you look at the rockets, and half the time, the tallest guy on the court was PJ tucker

I still think moving Jalen is in play.

The C’s lack of big men reminds me of BB’s indifference to WRs going into the season opener last year..... or TEs this year.
Time Lord will need to get his cardio on to last 48 every night.
I’m wondering how Ainge/ The Brad really feel about Scary T.
Could they be crossing their fingers hoping some team pays Rozier just enough so Boston has to decline matching the terms.
Like it or not Hayward will be the focal point of the offense with the ball running through him most possessions. Please let him find a consistent shot this year.
It would seem Semi will finally get consistent minutes this year. Big fan of his shot.
Lastly, the kids played great D when Hayward and Flat Earther we’re injured in 2018. I expect The Brad to get after it more without having to cover for No D Kyrie now.
The Brad will get to coach more his way now that the nonbeliever has moved on. As the Aussie Sniper suggested yesterday before getting traded, “we should have listened to coach more.”

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back