PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name 5 teams you are certain won't make the playoffs - 5 teams who you think will

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Certainly" is a strong word, but I'd put money on:

1.) New England Patriots
2.) Indianapolis Colts
3.) Chicago Bears
4.) Seattle Seahawks

I think that (1) and (2) are very strong teams and (3) and (4) have the benefit of poor divisions.

I'm hard pressed to name a fifth because I think that both San Diego and Denver have down-side risks (not least, the presence of the othe in the division) I wouldn't be shocked if either won the Superbowl but wouldn't like to make either a lock for the play-offs. Tossing a coin (and remembering Norv Turner's career as a head coach) I'll say:

5.) Denver Broncos

Certainly WILL NOT

1.) Oakland Raiders
2.) Detroit Lions
3.) Houston Texans
4.) Miami Dolphins
5.) Buffalo Bills

This list is the same thing in symmetry: (1) and (2) are lousy teams; (3), (4) and (5) are in VERY tough divisions (I've got to be optimistic about the Patriots and I don't think that the Jets will go backwards, provided Pennington stays healthy).

IN:

Patriots
Colts
Bears
Eagles
Saints

OUT:

Raiders
Lions
Bills
Browns
Texans

Make it:

Pats
Chargers
Seahawks
Bears
Saints

Won't make it:

Rams
Dolphins
Bills
Texans
Raiders

i'm going to be bold

in:
pats
colts
bears
chargers
eagles

out:
jets - thats where i'm being bold....(since their schedule was pretty much the easiest for playoff contenders, thomas jones or not, good draft or not, i think they'll prove to be big frauds....clemens will probably be starting by the end of the year)
raiders
lions
vikings
niners ^^ hope so...

In;

Patriots
Broncos
Colts
Chargers
Bears

Out;

Cardinals
Redskins
Raiders
Bills
Browns

In
New England
Indianaplois
San Diego
Chicago
Seattle

OUT
Washington
Miama

Cleveland
Detroit
Oakland

i think Washington has a legit shot. They have talent on both sides..healthy Portis and Betts is 1 of the top RB duos..Campbell did well when he came in last year and will be the starter. Their defense added talent to secondary with Smoot and Landry(Smoot sucks at Cover 2 but should be okay there) and added Fletcher to their LB corps. I think they are better than they were last year by a wide margin and could be in the running in a weak NFC

in:
Patriots
Colts
Chargers
Ravens
Eagles

Out:
Titans
Bills
Texans(still need secondary..they'll improve a lot but not with Jags and Colts in division)
Lions(defense didnt get help with Bly leaving)
Giants(i know it seems a little questionable but Tiki gone..Eli sucks..no LT after Petitgout got cut..secondary only added Ross but hes not the most polished ..who are the LBs since Arrington left? Pierce and Kawika Mitchell? wheres the DT that can hold it down?)

I agree with this analysis. It is hard to imagine any of the top not in the playoffs. The NFC is terrible. Chicago and NO should have no trouble at all. NE, Indy and SD are head and shoulders above the AFC. Personally, I would make a list of six, adding Baltimore.

Who won't be a wild card? It seems unreasonable to exclude any team in the NFC, where 7-9 could make it. I guess my AFC list include Oakland and Cleveland, as yours does. I would add the Bills and Houston next, and then Miami. They are all dreadful teams.

Teams that I would back to make the playoffs, serious injuries to starting QBs notwithstanding:
New England
Indianapolis
Chicago (the serious injuries thing doesn't apply in their case; it could be a blessing)
New Orleans
San Diego

Teams I think won't do it:
Oakland
Washington
Tampa
Cleveland

I feel pretty confident with the first list but not the second. As others have said, there's quite a bit of parity out there and wildcard spots aren't inconceivable for any team. Bear in mind how good Oakland's D was last year, for example.

IN:
Colts
Patriots
Chargers
Ravens
49ers

OUT:
Bills
Dolphins
Lions
Browns
Texans

Hahahahah this is some funny stuff guys. Every year some teams fall apart from tough scheduling and/or injuries.

Patriots
Chargers
Ravens
Colts
Bears
Saints

Also one team will win like 12 games when they sucked last year.

Oakland
Detroit
Arizona
Washington[My Pick :)]
Cleveland
Houston

There will also be some average team that rebounds.

Broncos
Bengals
Steelers
Rams
Panthers
Falcans

BTW guys the only AFC contender to get better are the Pats( A. Thomas is huge IMO) and Broncos. Maybe the Ravens with McGahee but they also lost Thomas so thats a wash at best for them.

On the other hand. The Colts will be the same(Hopefully Vince Young can steal a game or two.) The Chargers have zero stability or leadership. None. That team played hard for Marty. But what about this new staff? Also when Meriman was suspended there D was very leaky. Not to mention guys like Marty, Cower and even Ditka have had some some ******ed brutish teams. Simple people can get pumped up easily but they are not as aware and are prone to mistakes if you have a whole roster of these guys.

IIRC, Bill Walsh said something about the Bears, in the 80s, being brutes and they are easily beatable. Thats why they only won one SB. Same for Cowers Steelers. We will soon find out if the Chargers can handle more complexity from Turner. I predict more sloppy play and excuses.

I love all of you guys calling the Dolphins one of the bottom 5 teams in football. That seems impossible to me considering we have a top 5 defense in the league.

In:

Denver
New England
Philadelphia
Chicago
St. Louis

Out:

Buffalo
Oakland
Detroit
Washington
Tennessee

Last edited:
BTW guys the only AFC contender to get better are the Pats( A. Thomas is huge IMO) and Broncos. Maybe the Ravens with McGahee but they also lost Thomas so thats a wash at best for them.

On the other hand. The Colts will be the same(Hopefully Vince Young can steal a game or two.) The Chargers have zero stability or leadership. None. That team played hard for Marty. But what about this new staff? Also when Meriman was suspended there D was very leaky. Not to mention guys like Marty, Cower and even Ditka have had some some ******ed brutish teams. Simple people can get pumped up easily but they are not as aware and are prone to mistakes if you have a whole roster of these guys.

IIRC, Bill Walsh said something about the Bears, in the 80s, being brutes and they are easily beatable. Thats why they only won one SB. Same for Cowers Steelers. We will soon find out if the Chargers can handle more complexity from Turner. I predict more sloppy play and excuses.
So I'm assuming you're familiar with the SD draft. Apparently you're discounting it because it's a "draft." Definitely unknown potential w/regard to the draft. SD has not made "big" FA aquisitions in the off season. Actually Dielman was big but lets leave that alone.

With regard to the draft, has anybody been paying attention to how SD's been drafting lately and what we've mined from the draft in the last 3-4 years? I mean from an objective standpoint is there an NE fan out there prepared to say we suck at drafting? Is there an NE fan out there willing to say we don't know what we're doing? Putting the draft aside. In the last 4 years how many teams have picked up PB caliber UDFA's. Do the research. It's instructive.

Here's my point. Big FA acquisitions definitely do not always equate to improvement. I don't wanna get into previous particulars but if I were NE this year I would have focused on upgrading the DL, LB corps, and OL. I know you have to keep TB happy. I know its understood that NE is going to have to continually restructure his deal. Just sayin'... Your DL and LB corps deserve x amount of attention. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's all good there? Time will tell...

Last edited:
in

Pats
Colts
Bengals
Seahawks
Broncos

Out
Redskins
Cowboys
Raiders
Titans
Chiefs

"Certainly" is a strong word, but I'd put money on:

1.) New England Patriots
2.) Indianapolis Colts
3.) Chicago Bears
4.) Seattle Seahawks

I think that (1) and (2) are very strong teams and (3) and (4) have the benefit of poor divisions.

I'm hard pressed to name a fifth because I think that both San Diego and Denver have down-side risks (not least, the presence of the othe in the division) I wouldn't be shocked if either won the Superbowl but wouldn't like to make either a lock for the play-offs. Tossing a coin (and remembering Norv Turner's career as a head coach) I'll say:

5.) Denver Broncos

Certainly WILL NOT

1.) Oakland Raiders
2.) Detroit Lions
3.) Houston Texans
4.) Miami Dolphins
5.) Buffalo Bills

This list is the same thing in symmetry: (1) and (2) are lousy teams; (3), (4) and (5) are in VERY tough divisions (I've got to be optimistic about the Patriots and I don't think that the Jets will go backwards, provided Pennington stays healthy).
That's an interesting take. I view the Jets and Pats in much the same way. I think it's gonna be hard for NE to own the Jets this year. I don't think Mangini sucks. I think the Jets and Dolphins both have hard on's for your arse and you're gonna have to toss "A" game at both of them if you want to get by them. We'll see...

That's an interesting take. I view the Jets and Pats in much the same way. I think it's gonna be hard for NE to own the Jets this year. I don't think Mangini sucks. I think the Jets and Dolphins both have hard on's for your arse and you're gonna have to toss "A" game at both of them if you want to get by them. We'll see...

Well, you'll have to accept some homerism (I don't live in Homerville, but the mayor is a friend of mine ... :) ) but, even so, I think that the gap between the Pats and the Jets is bigger.

The Perfidious Penguin has done a good job and the Jets' off-season moves make sense to me, but the gap last season was bigger than that between the Broncos and the Chargers -- I think that the play-off meeting gave an objective picture. It's true that New England are going to have to be at their best, but complacent is not the message I get from the Patriots after their loss to the Colts.

Coaching changes are a big deal and there's no denying it. From my perspective, an organization that goes 14-2 and sacks their coach looks dysfunctional. If I was absolutely confident that the Bolts' talent couldn't overcome that negative, I would have the Broncos as a lock. As it is, I think that probably both will make the play-offs (Oakland is terrible and KC looks to be on the way down, so there will be some easy wins in the division when the two don't meet) but don't want to guess which will win the division.

Going back to the Jets, they are my other wildcard bet and they are the reason I make Buffalo and Miami locks not to go to the playoffs. Their division is just too strong. I certainly don't think either of them are among the worst five in the NFL, by the way, BetBoy -- that wasn't the question.

(Rationally, I could have made Cleveland a lock not to go to the play-offs too, for similar reasons, but my sentimental side hopes that Romeo can pull off a miracle.)

Last edited:
3 most likely to make it from the NFC:
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Seattle

I left Chicago out as a lock because unless they get something better at QB they are in big trouble. Add to that the fact that Briggs may not play and they are less of a lock than the teams I listed.

3 most likely to make it from the AFC:
New England
Indianapolis
San Diego

The AFC west should be interesting with the Chargers and Broncos battling for the top spot. On paper the Broncos could certainly win it, but I think talent wise Sand Diego is the second best team in the league right now. Of course a couple injuries and this all changes.

3 most likely to not make it from the NFC:
New York Giants
Tampa Bay
Minnesota

This was tough to choose, because it doesn't seem like any teams from the NFC should make the playoffs. :p

3 most likely to not make it from the AFC:
Oakland
Houston
Cleveland

I love all of you guys calling the Dolphins one of the bottom 5 teams in football. That seems impossible to me considering we have a top 5 defense in the league.

No one is calling the Dolphins a bottom 5 team, they are saying they think they are among the 5 most likely to not make the playoffs; those are two very different things.

I think the Jets and Dolphins both have hard on's for your arse...

I sure hope not! :eek:

in

Pats
Colts
Bengals
Seahawks
Broncos

Out
Redskins
Cowboys
Raiders
Titans
Chiefs
Sigh.

Ok, lets look at your picks from a purely divisional perspective shall we? Can't argue much about your 1st 2 picks. Both should get there. By and large.

Indy has a clear cut bullseye on their ass and in no way am I sure that the Colts are up for the (frenchman speaking) challenge. I'm just not sure right now. Because they're actually not that good. I mean from a talent point of view. There's a lot that factors into winning it all. It was surprising to see PM rally the troops against NE the way he did. PM could have easily given up. Instead he manned up. Good on him.

Can't believe you've got the Bengals in and are dissing the Ravens? What? Are you thinking the Bengals are feeling like they have something to prove given their prior off field transgressions? Hmm, ya maybe. Given the fact that guys like DO, CH, and others may or may not be able to help? Do the Bengals have enough? Anythings possible but I'd rank the Ravens over the Bengals going into the pre-season.

So are NE fans of a mind that suggests that the NYJ and Miami have no game? I'm just saying the Jets could prove to be a hassle for NE. Honestly, it's looking that way to me. JMO. We all understand how important div rivalries are. Overall, NE has a losing record against both the Dolphins and the Jets. The Jet rivalry is pretty tight but you're still 4 down. Even after all your accomplishments. Point being the Jets and Miami should ALWAYS be a concern for NE. Miami actually tends to own you.

Now the big one. You actually believe the Broncos are more likely to get into the playoffs than the Bolts? Sigh. Rather than me get into why I think that's not true. I'd prefer you offer up your perspective on why you think that is true. Because I do not want to summarily refute things.

Huh? When was the last time Miami's super defense got them to the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe